Must Be Getting Old

Zomax

Pillion
I poke around in some of the other forums, like the FZ1, R1 and R6. Every once in a while someone will mention the 8. Frequently, the comments are along the line of the 8 "needs more grunt".

I don't know, but every time I crank the throttle on the 8, it just takes a few seconds and I'm clipping along at a much higher insurance rate. For the riding I do, this thing feels like one fast sumbitch.

Like I said - must be getting old.

D

DJK1505

For what I do I think its fun as hell. There's no reason we need 180 horse on the street doing 175. I wanna run some bad ass twisties, get to 100 as fast as possible. But whatever, I like my bike!!!!!!

DJ

F

Fazed

To be honest I didn't think much of mine when I first bought it and thought that it was very tame for what I'd expect from a modern 800. It had a little more go than my zr7 (a 13 year old carbied air cooled 750) and to be honest I expected more. I knew the motor had more potential which is why I ended up buying it. The mods (the power ones) I did in my signature transformed it into what I expect an 800 should be from factory. So yes I'm of the opinion it needs more grunt, but it's locked away in there, hiding behind emissions compliance, just waiting to be released.

shadowman

I've only managed to get 400km on my 8 before Mother Nature made me put her away, but I con't imagine myself wanting anything faster... not yet anyway.
Maybe I'm getting old too.:eek:

H

Hoover

I bought the 8 because for the price, it was the best looking, decently equiped bike on the market.
My days of riding like a twat are long gone and I find it plenty quick enough.

C

Camo

I'm no racer so off the grid starts mean nothing but once up to 7k it's got enough berries to keep up with most things in the twisty's providing rider skills are roughly equal. Hit the straight and most 600 super sports leave you for dead...in saying that I've not done a single power mod yet.
I'll get back to you at tax time when I beef the 8 up a bit. It's got enough power and enough tameness to provide a good all round riding experience... Commutes well, spirited riding provides a smile and it chews miles without hesitation.

highoctane

Canyon Carver
I think I'm getting old too sometimes and then I do something like shoot paper straw wrappers at the restaurant or pick my nose when someone starring at me. DOH

Black Widow

Avid Rider
The 8 was my first street bike, i was a little nervous when i picked it up and had to ride it back to my town 20 miles away. Right away i realized how easy it was to ride when rolling on the throttle, well balanced and confidence inspiring. After a couple of days i opened it up and thought, wow, this thing gets going in a hurry, quite a rush really. Thought i would never want more power. After 6 months i was looking for some eye watering power, and got a bigger bike. The 8 still gives me a grin, it has a great rush of power above 7000 rpm, awesome bike and very reliable.No power mods.

97audia4

Don't feel bad I had a cbr 600 and 600rr but really that that was before I had any knowledge of suspension set ups and tires, I was a squid. I have road dirt bikes of all kinds so the 8 felt slowl at first but it fits the bills and what I do with it.

http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/206828_1012058509376_854_n.jpg?dl=1

Xr100 wheelie, first bike I learned on clutching up

Last edited:
W

WARPTH

i also felt the fz8 couldve used a little more power... but of all the middle weight nakeds i was looking at the only 1 that had more hp was the street triple. but when you take price into consideration, i ended up with the 8. once you get to the twisties doesnt matter whether your on a aprilia rs125 or a cbr1000 its only rider skill and confidence that makes it fun. :) unless your on a super motard. than you maul anything around bends. ;)

Marthy

To be honest, my little pimp up 6R is more than enough for everyday riding. So I imagine the 8 being better. It's way more fun to go fast with something slow than the other way around.

waypoint

mod squad
To me the 8 felt scary fast when I first got her. I'm 140lbs and came off a long break off of motocross bikes. The traction and acceleration on the road was a bit daunting and I really babied her at first.

As I got use to her and became more confident I began to realize her shortcomings. It wasn't that she was that strong, it was how she made her power that made me feel that way. The herky-jerky roll on felt like brute torque when trying to be easy on the throttle. The big boost in power when coming out of that mid rpm flat spot made me feel like she had a whole other life in her ideal "power band"... kinda like a 2 stroke.

Because of all the great info and input from awesome people on this forum I started making changes that helped her breathe like the airbox mod and a TBR slipon. Now she's not only coming alive and feeling stronger, but she's easier to ride.

So I think that if you can make more efficient and tractable power, you are more likely to want "MORE" because you can utilize it in a much more safe and controllable way. Am I making any sense?

Now, my ECU is out being flashed and I removed the AIS in the hopes that, when she's back up and running, she will be even smoother, and more predictable. :2cents:

S

Shock

IMHO the 8 is all the bike one needs for twisties. I'm not racing nor want to I just like to make it from one turn to the next and I'll be smiling. My 8 has minor power mods and is plenty fast.