Misfire/stalling

schmittz

Bike seems to missfire from idle-5.5k, then revs/runs somewhat normally. Bike has 7.6k on the odo. Danmoto carbon gp and a gutted cat. Is it possible that I fouled the plugs, causing the missfire? The only other thing I could think of is making me sick to my stomach, so I kinda dont wanna do a compression test and find out :( (that would be a bent valve)

schmittz

if you havent changed the plugs yet I would start with that.

Yeah I'm doing that now, radiator is a bit of a pita...

Plugs had a white powdery residue on top, and were a light ash/coffeew milk kinda colour..

Last edited:

myklobe

I'm no mechanic but seems lean and hot.

Along those same lines, if you haven't done a TB sync in a while, it wouldn't hurt to add that to the spark plug change. It made a night and day difference on my brand new bike when I hit 1000 miles, I can't imagine that with more miles, the TBs could be out of sync even more than mine.

Woody146

Banned
Plugs need to be changed at 8 k...throttle body doesn't need sync until 10-12 k.do regular oil changes.

Biggest thing is if your not tuned for no cat..you'll lose some power

schmittz

So I did some research, our bikes use resistor plugs, anything you read about 20k miles is bull, they don't last that long (typically). Btw bike is running fine now, just swapped out the plugs and no more misfire

schmittz

With a gutted cat and exhaust with NO fuel controller/ECU Flash... You are probably nasty lean.

Plugs are showing no indication of lean conditions. I'm thinking a bad coil. Putting the stock can back on and taking it into the dealership. I have the 5 year warranty.

toothycardus

Plugs are showing no indication of lean conditions. I'm thinking a bad coil. Putting the stock can back on and taking it into the dealership. I have the 5 year warranty.

If your plugs are white then its running lean, and by what you have described it sounds lean

JSP

Administrator

Hope they dont notice your cat is gutted. Can you get a pic of one of the plugs you took out?

See how it runs with the stock exhaust back on. That may be enough restriction to make it run better. If it does, that will most likely be the culprit (running lean). If it still does the same thing, then yeah... may be something else.

schmittz

Hope they dont notice your cat is gutted. Can you get a pic of one of the plugs you took out?

See how it runs with the stock exhaust back on. That may be enough restriction to make it run better. If it does, that will most likely be the culprit (running lean). If it still does the same thing, then yeah... may be something else.

On the note about the fuel controllers, how is the leovance one??

Larry P

Might be a moot point but sometimes the dust outside your exhaust can helps indicate rich/lean. Should be a small layer of dust from normal conditions but almost clean for a lean mixture.