Miles per tank?

FastZ8

I filled up and set my trip yesterday and I was at 160 when the f-trip came on and I rode another 20 on that and when I filled up it only took 3.8 gallons and it says it has a 4.49 gallon tank so that's about .69 left so I feel sure I could do 200 miles on a tank...but I won't try it just incase...I run 93 octane only and I ride normally conservative but I do crank into it every few miles and an occasional rev up here and there and I engine brake nearly every time I slow or stop...the only mod I really have is a Danmoto Jisu slip on with no baffle.

SeñorJack

El Guapo
I filled up and set my trip yesterday and I was at 160 when the f-trip came on and I rode another 20 on that and when I filled up it only took 3.8 gallons and it says it has a 4.49 gallon tank so that's about .69 left so I feel sure I could do 200 miles on a tank...but I won't try it just incase...I run 93 octane only and I ride normally conservative but I do crank into it every few miles and an occasional rev up here and there and I engine brake nearly every time I slow or stop...the only mod I really have is a Danmoto Jisu slip on with no baffle.

dang man, 93 octane? out in ca mine runs great on 87 :) but I always run a fuel treatment.

RoadKill

no need for anything above 87 octane in these bikes. it's been said many times before. higher octane has a HIGHER flash point.
here is a clip from a google search although these are well known facts about fuel.

OCTANE-the first and foremost rule for octane is; only use what your
car NEEDS. This means if your car knocks or pings with 87, then move
up to 89, then to 92. As many have stated, you are indeed wasting your
money with higher octane fuels....unless of course it is needed.
Higher octane ratings mean higher flash point. Which translates to
less pre-detonation that causes ping and/or knock. Usually this is
only required on high performance(read: high compression) engines
where the temps and pressures can easily cause pre-detonation. As far
as keeping your injectors clean, you wasted money for "premium" gas
would be better spent on a can fuel injector cleaner once every 6
months or so. Higher octane gasoline does not clean your engine. The
additives(detergents) in the gasoline are responsible for the
cleaning.

on city/highway i end up getting about 140 when the reserve stays on. because sometimes the reserve lights up but after a couple of miles comes off. i drove my 8 till i ran out of gas not on purpose by the way. just through I'd make it to work. the bike bogged for about 3 maybe 4 miles before it shut off. at that time i was at 190 +/- 10 miles from what i remember. hope this helps

Glovik

Either people are very good at being economical commuters, or I am a bat out of hell. I ride this thing as if it was going to give me candy everytime I kiss the redline... and I like candy...

I'm usually refueling around 130mi and that's including going probably 25mi on the fuel trip, although nowadays I try to run it in the fuel trip less as I've read it can be bad for your bike.

This could be BS and someone pleasssse correct me, but I believe I've read that gas cools down part of your bike (maybe the FI system?) and ripping out on your bike with low fuel can make whatever heat up way more than it should. Again, this is something I'm barely remembering from last year, so I could be talking out of my ass. We need an expert to chime in.

Either way, refueling earlier than later is always a good idea :). I ran out TWICE last year because I was lazy and tried to push it. I got too comfy with getting certain amount out of my fuel trip that I'd be ripping out and it would dry up early. I know that's bad for the bike for sure. :(

cambo

Avid Rider
wait wait, so just to be clear, we can use 87? Why the hell have I been using 93 all this time, I thought that was the recommended fuel! SONONFABITCH

Glovik

I use 91. Here we have 87, 89 (ethanol and cheapest), and 91. I've always used 91 because that's what all the riders I know around here use. Everyone's mind set is it's the most expensive, so it must be the best.

One thing I think about is that it's the least used grade, so that handle gets stuck into the least dirty old cars. Pumps like that are few and far between around here anymore. Everything's switched to the single handle/tube and you pick your grade, meaning I'm getting a cocktail of some ethanol from that being run through the pump all day.

My car strickly gets ethanol though :). Gotta cheap out on the car. I don't know that much about ethanols affect on engines and such, which people could probably argue about all day long, but I'm not taking any chances with the bike!

thach1130

I hate ethanol laced fuel. But cannot find fuel without it anymore. Crazy thing is everywhere i go i see gas station getting torn up and the rebuilt because the tank underground cannot handle the higher ethanol content and we can be sure the ethanol content will be going up in the future. I feel ethanol are a waste of food, subsidy, land, water energy

97audia4

wait wait, so just to be clear, we can use 87? Why the hell have I been using 93 all this time, I thought that was the recommended fuel! SONONFABITCH

haha 93 is better for it trust me, if i could get my gf's dad to write it down on paper for me i would show people. He owns a gas station and he sells 87 to 93 with no ethanol and he has 87 and 89 with ethanol. Ive run 93 with no ethanol since day one and the it runs like a dream. I just hate the idea of what ethanol can do to a bike and small engine machines.

RoadKill

haha 93 is better for it trust me, if i could get my gf's dad to write it down on paper for me i would show people. He owns a gas station and he sells 87 to 93 with no ethanol and he has 87 and 89 with ethanol. Ive run 93 with no ethanol since day one and the it runs like a dream. I just hate the idea of what ethanol can do to a bike and small engine machines.

you should trust the engineers that built the FZ8 more than some gas station owner. and they say this engines flash point requirement for fuel is 87 octane.

Putting the wrong octane in your engine CAN do damage. but don't believe me. do some research for yourself. google it and call Yamaha.
BTW i am talking about octane not ethanol, that is a different subject altogether.

Last edited:

JSP

Administrator
Octane has nothing to do with "better gas". Just because it says PREMIUM and costs more is a marketing ploy and just plain wrong.

Buy gas from top tier and stick with what the manufacturer recommends. That is what the motor was designed to work on.

The only reason you may feel better is with the NON Ethanol gas which mostly only comes in the higher octane now. The benefits come from the Non Ethanol, not the Premium.

SeñorJack

El Guapo
Octane has nothing to do with "better gas". Just because it says PREMIUM and costs more is a marketing ploy and just plain wrong.

Buy gas from top tier and stick with what the manufacturer recommends. That is what the motor was designed to work on.

The only reason you may feel better is with the NON Ethanol gas which mostly only comes in the higher octane now. The benefits come from the Non Ethanol, not the Premium.

Its true, we have opend this can of worms before and I myself have done extensive personal fuel brand, and octane testing. 87 ALWAYS makes my bike happier hands down. i tried 91 with an octane boost, I didnt make it ten miles, she ran so crappy that I had to turn home, siphon some out, and cut it with my lawnmower gas.

There are some great fuel additives available, specifically for ethanol treatment. Again, hands down recommend it. everytime I or aomeone cracks open one of my engines (carbed up until now) they always comment on how clean the fuel delivery system is. Its miracle stuff and I dont even know what its called! looks like windex, cant put too much in by accident, cleans up quick.

I also have a friend who owns a gas station here in woodland ca. Its a 76 station. He tells me go to cheveron or shell and come to him for smog haha :) integrety is not lost haha

cambo

Avid Rider
Its true, we have opend this can of worms before and I myself have done extensive personal fuel brand, and octane testing. 87 ALWAYS makes my bike happier hands down. i tried 91 with an octane boost, I didnt make it ten miles, she ran so crappy that I had to turn home, siphon some out, and cut it with my lawnmower gas.

There are some great fuel additives available, specifically for ethanol treatment. Again, hands down recommend it. everytime I or aomeone cracks open one of my engines (carbed up until now) they always comment on how clean the fuel delivery system is. Its miracle stuff and I dont even know what its called! looks like windex, cant put too much in by accident, cleans up quick.

I also have a friend who owns a gas station here in woodland ca. Its a 76 station. He tells me go to cheveron or shell and come to him for smog haha :) integrety is not lost haha

I've never used a fuel additive before, what do you use?

SeñorJack

El Guapo
star bright or something. teying to uplaod a pic through tapatalk and its giving me trouble

edit- star tron ethanol fuel treatment

Last edited:

rug_burn

I get about 180 miles per tank, at which point the fuel readout on the gauges is flashing, and it takes about 4 gallon to fill it up, typically.
That is the first gauge I've ever had on a moto, too, and it works pretty good. I haven't run out of gas yet.

And me? I use the mid grade gas- seems like I get better low end grunt with it, and it would probably be even better with premium.
I think higher octane lets the automatic ping sensor in the engine advance the spark more, which is where the power is.

rontash

Thanks for the KM info. I ride in Canada and just got the bike. Mileagre is a little less than my old FZ6, which go to about 270 280KM before flashing. This lower mileage may pose a problem for some of my fun rides which can have 200 + KM distance between gas stations.