Miles per tank?

krillz

I never had a bike with a gas guage or no reserve. Roughly how many miles do you guys get and how trust worthy is the guage? Thanks

Last edited:

mikefz8

My low fuel indicator "f-trip" starts flashing for me around 110 miles each tank. I have just over a gallon every time I fill up when it starts flashing. The tank is 4.5 gallons capacity. I won't travel past 150 miles on a tank w/o the fear of running out of gas--so I just plan my trips accordingly. Most of my driving anyway is in town (less than 20-30 miles roundtrip) I have been averaging around 32-38 mpg

White Rider

Set your trip meter when you fill up.
Then next time you get petrol note how many kms or gallons you put in.
You'll have an accurate amount then. Keep doing this for fast and slow rides etc and eventually you'll get a feel for the amount YOU can get. Use the search button here. People have kindly ran out so we can all learn :)

H

Hoover

120 around town, 135-140 on trips. Not a good practice to let your tank run empty all the time. No matter what you think, there are always little bits of shit in gas and they all sink. After a while, there is a good chance you will start sucking them into the system. I fill up when the gauge starts to flash.

W

WARPTH

120 around town, 135-140 on trips. Not a good practice to let your tank run empty all the time. No matter what you think, there are always little bits of shit in gas and they all sink. After a while, there is a good chance you will start sucking them into the system. I fill up when the gauge starts to flash.

isnt the fuel feed at the bottom of the tank on the fz8 though? i havent pulled my tank of to know for sure but it was on my motard.

krillz

On my supermoto I wsa having to switch to reserve @ 100 miles. I used the odometer for years as my guage. Just was curiouse what others are getting. The F trip came on at 120.

Black Widow

Avid Rider

The fuel is also the coolant for the electric pump, as in EFI cars. Running it too low can overheat the pump and shorten lifespan.

master paper clip

Yes the fuel feeds from the bottom but there is a built in filter in the pump, and lime stated the gas is a coolant for the pump, deffinatly don't wanna ride very spirited when near the bottom or run empty to often, fuel pumps electronics are delicate

F

Fazed

The thing I don't like about this bike is it is impossible to to predict when the flashing meter will turn on. Sometimes it's 220km others it's 230km sometimes 200km, but using the fuelly.com thing I have about the same fuel consumption. My commute is 110km per day, so my back to back tank loads include the same type of riding. On my old bike you could predict the flick to reserve quite accurately. I guess that's the difference between electronics and mechanical.

Takdogg

Why the horrible gas mileage

I've had the bike for about 6 months and the F-trip on my bike comes on around 170 miles. I've taken it as far as 187 miles and haven't had to put more than 4 galons into the tank so that leads me to believe there's a good chance to stretch it to 200 miles. I've calculated the fuel mileage periodically and average just above 50 mpg. Of course the best mileage I get is the commute to work which is mostly highway at 75 mph+. Even when I go canyon carving here in AZ I seem to get better mileage than all of you. Does the bike lose it's fuel mileage after an accumulation of high mileage?

mikefz8

I've had the bike for about 6 months and the F-trip on my bike comes on around 170 miles. I've taken it as far as 187 miles and haven't had to put more than 4 galons into the tank so that leads me to believe there's a good chance to stretch it to 200 miles. I've calculated the fuel mileage periodically and average just above 50 mpg. Of course the best mileage I get is the commute to work which is mostly highway at 75 mph+. Even when I go canyon carving here in AZ I seem to get better mileage than all of you. Does the bike lose it's fuel mileage after an accumulation of high mileage?

"Does the bike lose it's fuel mileage after an accumulation of high mileage?"

Mine did NOT it has always been around 32-38 MPG from mile #1. Seems as though it should be better in my opinion. I have roughly 6500 miles currently.

H

Hoover

The twisty thing on the right is the throttle..use that and report back. :rolleyes:

Black Widow

Avid Rider
Usually having too much fun riding to think about fuel economy... when its low i fill up and try to drain the tank as quickly as possible... its why i ride a bike... i usually claculate the amount of fun i am having as to how many times i have to fill up in a day, has been a couple of 4 tanks days, now those are days i got the most smiles per gallon:D

RoadKill

Usually having too much fun riding to think about fuel economy... when its low i fill up and try to drain the tank as quickly as possible... its why i ride a bike... i usually claculate the amount of fun i am having as to how many times i have to fill up in a day, has been a couple of 4 tanks days, now those are days i got the most smiles per gallon:D

+1!

White Rider

When touring with limited petrol station availability, it becomes extremely important how many kms to a tank I can get. I don't want to be stuck in the mountains with an empty tank. Nor do I want to fill up 5 times if I can get away with 4. Yesterday I filled up in a mountain pass store with one 91 bowser (I usually take 95). It was at the top of a steep gravel slope with a very small level patch (smaller than the bike's length) at the top. It was 50 50 whether I could get back to the nearest proper station 82 kms back. I didn't take the risk but I sure didn't need the stress of filling up there! I might mention that I'm on tippy toes with the bike as well. My mileage isn't as great as Takdogg either.

Black Widow

Avid Rider
For long trips and peace of mind you can add an extra tank and plumb it into the vent line for gravity feed, here is what i did...can be removed in minutes.

Last edited:

White Rider

I'm looking at the first picture thinking what am I supposed to be looking at???
Then I think sneaky bugger when I see the second picture!

Black Widow

Avid Rider
I'm looking at the first picture thinking what am I supposed to be looking at???
Then I think sneaky bugger when I see the second picture!

LOL, you should see the looks i get when i unzip my tailbag and proceed to fill it with fuel. The tank is 7 litres has a vented cap, and is a metal tank, for legal purposes. gives me an extra 80-100 kms(on that bike), depending how i ride.