Mike's Mods

mikefz8

File this one under *tweak* but I wanted to have quick, easy access to my garage when I come home so I installed a button that links to my garage door opener (diagram and photos later)...here is the video. Credit where credit is due--I followed an instructable for the basic *idea* of how to do this. And as I am mechanically inclined and own lots of tools I just had to put this on my 8. Also I washed my riding jacket once with garage door opener in it and decided it would be best to install on my bike since I don't always wear *that* particular jacket. Hope you guys like.

http://db.tt/8vsTsY0b

That's a great spot to install any switch; a write would be great.

@Dr_Doom...I was planning on already having the write up completed, but I have been slaving away this early spring trying to get my garden ready to grow some fresh veggies. Completely irrelevant to this situation, but I will have a couple diagrams and photos showing the install start to finish very soon

Update

So here is the pseudo instructable :)
the tools that I used are pictured here
mikefz8_001.jpg

I started out by using a 3/16"-in allen wrench to remove the saddle and the rear seat.
mikefz8_016.jpg

Then I ran a wire from the rear compartment past the battery and zip tied it to the wiring loom as pictured.
mikefz8_008.jpg

mikefz8_009.jpg

Once it reached the exposed area(near the front fork) I made a small cut into the shrink tubing and ran the cable inside and up the the hand controls for the blinkers, horn, and headlight selector switches
mikefz8_007.jpg

mikefz8_006.jpg

I then drilled out the hole where there was a blank to accept the momentary push button was going to be located.
mikefz8_005.jpg

mikefz8_004.jpg

(NOT PICTURED)I mixed a little jb weld together applying it to the push button and inserted it into the drilled hole I clamped it and let it setup.

I put the hand controls back together and zip tied the shrink tubing to the wiring harness as pictured.
mikefz8_017.jpg

more on the next post

I then needed to dismantle the garage door opener and solder(Side note--I am NOT a solder ninja plus I have a really sucky soldering gun) the wire on to the board and re-assembled the opener.
mikefz8_011.jpg

mikefz8_010.jpg

mikefz8_013.jpg

mikefz8_014.jpg

I had a left over electrical tape 3m 35 case from a different project so I drilled a hole in the side placed the opener inside and put the lid on. This is to keep dust and water from potentially ruining the opener.
mikefz8_015.jpg

Put everything back together and Voila´ you have a garage door opener always with you when you ride your moto!
mikefz8_002.jpg

mikefz8_003.jpg

I love my 8!
mikefz8_019.jpg

mikefz8_020.jpg

mikefz8_021.jpg

Last edited:
Nice! Love the idea and something thats been chapping my ass also. I think Ill just go the lazy man way : [ame=http://www.amazon.com/Keychain-Remote-Garage-Opener-Firefly/dp/B0015GDW3U/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1332391408&sr=1-1]Amazon.com: Keychain Remote Garage Door Opener Firefly 300Mhz: Electronics[/ame]

Nice! Love the idea and something thats been chapping my ass also. I think Ill just go the lazy man way : Amazon.com: Keychain Remote Garage Door Opener Firefly 300Mhz: Electronics

haha. I hate extra keyfobs and extra keys for that matter--so that would not work for me, plus I just thought it would be awesome to add a GD opener and make it look stock.

BTW Mano...I live in St George, UT which is only 1.5 hours north on I-15 from Vegas...If/when I make it down that way we should go riding!

Back