Mike's Mods

mikefz8

File this one under *tweak* but I wanted to have quick, easy access to my garage when I come home so I installed a button that links to my garage door opener (diagram and photos later)...here is the video. Credit where credit is due--I followed an instructable for the basic *idea* of how to do this. And as I am mechanically inclined and own lots of tools I just had to put this on my 8. Also I washed my riding jacket once with garage door opener in it and decided it would be best to install on my bike since I don't always wear *that* particular jacket. Hope you guys like.

http://db.tt/8vsTsY0b

D

Deleted member 438

That's a great spot to install any switch; a write would be great.

mikefz8

@Dr_Doom...I was planning on already having the write up completed, but I have been slaving away this early spring trying to get my garden ready to grow some fresh veggies. Completely irrelevant to this situation, but I will have a couple diagrams and photos showing the install start to finish very soon

mikefz8

Update

So here is the pseudo instructable :)
the tools that I used are pictured here

I started out by using a 3/16"-in allen wrench to remove the saddle and the rear seat.

Then I ran a wire from the rear compartment past the battery and zip tied it to the wiring loom as pictured.

Once it reached the exposed area(near the front fork) I made a small cut into the shrink tubing and ran the cable inside and up the the hand controls for the blinkers, horn, and headlight selector switches

I then drilled out the hole where there was a blank to accept the momentary push button was going to be located.

(NOT PICTURED)I mixed a little jb weld together applying it to the push button and inserted it into the drilled hole I clamped it and let it setup.

I put the hand controls back together and zip tied the shrink tubing to the wiring harness as pictured.

more on the next post

mikefz8

I then needed to dismantle the garage door opener and solder(Side note--I am NOT a solder ninja plus I have a really sucky soldering gun) the wire on to the board and re-assembled the opener.

I had a left over electrical tape 3m 35 case from a different project so I drilled a hole in the side placed the opener inside and put the lid on. This is to keep dust and water from potentially ruining the opener.

Put everything back together and Voila´ you have a garage door opener always with you when you ride your moto!

I love my 8!

Last edited:

mano1192

Nice! Love the idea and something thats been chapping my ass also. I think Ill just go the lazy man way : [ame=http://www.amazon.com/Keychain-Remote-Garage-Opener-Firefly/dp/B0015GDW3U/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1332391408&sr=1-1]Amazon.com: Keychain Remote Garage Door Opener Firefly 300Mhz: Electronics[/ame]

mikefz8

Nice! Love the idea and something thats been chapping my ass also. I think Ill just go the lazy man way : Amazon.com: Keychain Remote Garage Door Opener Firefly 300Mhz: Electronics

haha. I hate extra keyfobs and extra keys for that matter--so that would not work for me, plus I just thought it would be awesome to add a GD opener and make it look stock.

BTW Mano...I live in St George, UT which is only 1.5 hours north on I-15 from Vegas...If/when I make it down that way we should go riding!