Maps for my FZ8

A

AndyDehnRules

I have just joined and already found an awesome amount of information on the mods that I am doing this winter, so for that, thank you! That being said, I have a PCV and a new K&N filter in the mail and I would like to get a map made. Does anyone have a good place to get a custom one, or find information on one that will work well for my bike?

2011 FZ8
Leo Vince slip-on exhaust
PCV (soon)
Air box mod (soon)
AIS blocked (soon)

Also on a side note, any pros/cons to smog plates vs blocking the hose? Is it a lot more work (or worth it) to remove the other stuff to lessen weight?

D

Deleted member 438

:welcome: PM me your email address and I'll send you a map. The pro to completely removing the AIS system is getting rid of something completely useless off of the motor.

frank0902

Hey there, it sounds like we are making similar mods. I'm also a newbie to this forum. I'm impressed with all great information. I went with the Danmoto exhaust and k&n filter. I've also added the PCV and mapped it one of the Power Commander list of maps. They didn't have a hole lot of choices. I think my next step is the air box mod and removal of the AIS system. Dr Doom I would also like to try your map if you would be so grateful. Please let me know

Landin

I was thinking of getting a PCV to my bike as well. But is it true that it will only give me like 4hp extra? Alot of money for only 4hp =/

master paper clip

I was thinking of getting a PCV to my bike as well. But is it true that it will only give me like 4hp extra? Alot of money for only 4hp =/

Pcv dosnt have a hp rating, u buy it to take full advantage of your upgrades.. pcv iant a power adder, its a tuner, power comes from the mods u do and the map u put on it.. its 100% worth every penny it cost and can turn the bike into a completly different machine. And u will unlock alot more then 4hp threw the pcv with the rite tune.

SCRAM

PCV vs GUHL reflash

I was considering a PCV until I spoke with Don at Guhl Motors Home and he convinced me to send him my ecu to get re-flashed. Glad I did. Re-flashing unrestricts the bike by opening the secondary butterflies and adjusting the timing. He also raised rev limit. Completely different bike. Pulls strong in lower rpms, unlike stock ecu, and continues to pull aggressively thru redline. Power delivery is very predictable with no dips in power. Front end now comes up with ease:) I have yet to find the opportunity to see the new top speed, but am confident it will be higher than previously found:D Way more bang for your buck than PCV because he unrestricts and does the fuel mapping all in your original ecu. There is a lot of great info in a video on youtube of Don working with Brocks performance on zx10R ecu. After Guhls magic my bike finally feels like an 800cc SPORTbike.

Black Widow

Avid Rider
I was considering a PCV until I spoke with Don at Guhl Motors Home and he convinced me to send him my ecu to get re-flashed. Glad I did. Re-flashing unrestricts the bike by opening the secondary butterflies and adjusting the timing. He also raised rev limit. Completely different bike. Pulls strong in lower rpms, unlike stock ecu, and continues to pull aggressively thru redline. Power delivery is very predictable with no dips in power. Front end now comes up with ease:) I have yet to find the opportunity to see the new top speed, but am confident it will be higher than previously found:D Way more bang for your buck than PCV because he unrestricts and does the fuel mapping all in your original ecu. There is a lot of great info in a video on youtube of Don working with Brocks performance on zx10R ecu. After Guhls magic my bike finally feels like an 800cc SPORTbike.

Had a buddy do the same thing. Way more power than a PCV , super smooth throttle response, no flat spots, and less jerk at slow cruise. I did the same on my Vmax(used Tim Nash from Gurued Gear), unbelievable ,smooth power, 4th gear rubber, tamed throttle response in low gears, less engine braking in 4th and 5th, rev limit increased, speed limiter deleated and 1/2 second off the 1/4 mile time. getting new liscence plate made now "runsa9".

F

Fazed

what did they charge to do this?

A PCV with the ignition module addition will achieve the same as a re-flashed ECU.

I can't remember the cost but it was less than a PCV, ignition module and the required dyno time. The problem being that you need to send your ECU to the states to get it done. It's fine if your in the US with overnight deliveries at decent prices but we are looking at up to 2 months or more without an ECU. I can't go with out riding for 2 months.

D

DJK1505

And every time you do another mod, take your ecu out, send it in and pay for them to reflash it, blah blah blah. They can only guess at how your bike is going to react to the mods, and their maps. Generally sending your ecu in for remaping is your starting point, once you get it back you either go to another tuner to dyno tune, or you hook your lap top up and start doing some data logging and map building to fine tune your map for your vehicle.

I have built several vehicles, all have had a tuner of some sort, any tuner I can play with and design my own map is the way I want to go. I learn something, there are so many tools out there now its almost difficult to fuck up your ride (wide band sensor, af meters, egt sensors, timing/ knock sensors, preset warnings in most tuning software, etc), there are endless possibilities to your mods now, and its just freakin fun.

Like everything else in this world, its a whole lot easier to have someone else do it for you. Get off your ass and read, you might be able to learn something.

DJ

Last edited:
D

DJK1505

Had a buddy do the same thing. Way more power than a PCV , super smooth throttle response, no flat spots, and less jerk at slow cruise. I did the same on my Vmax(used Tim Nash from Gurued Gear), unbelievable ,smooth power, 4th gear rubber, tamed throttle response in low gears, less engine braking in 4th and 5th, rev limit increased, speed limiter deleated and 1/2 second off the 1/4 mile time. getting new liscence plate made now "runsa9".

Not sure where you are getting or how you are making your maps, but I am pretty positive I have more power out of my PCV than ECUnleashed believed they would get out of a reflash. And when I was speaking to the guy last year he noted I needed to send them all my mods so they could build around what i have done to my bike. So this winter when I do my valve porting, guess what another 500 bucks to have them reflash it, or oh yeah I have my cool little PCV and auto tune that does it for me. Next will be the timing module. I am sure with a little studying and playing around I can match/ beat what any of these companies claim to be able to get you from a reflash!

DJ

H

Hoover

This is an interesting thread, I'd like to hear more opinions.
It is very similar to many threads on car tuning sites. There are car options to the PCV that do a similar job .
Some owners swear by them, others say just get your ecu re-programmed.

If you have a tuning shop and dyno close by, perhaps having a custom map/re-flash would be a decent option?

F

Fazed

I am also a bit suspicious of ppl with 1 post to their name, making a post that reads like an advert that includes links to a products website.

B

bren

just say you had to take your bike back to stock for some reason- you could simply unplug your PC5 or juicebox in about 15 mins, or just put it on a stock map.

If you re-flashed your ECU, would you then need to pay to take it back to stock? can it go back to stock?

Black Widow

Avid Rider
Not sure where you are getting or how you are making your maps, but I am pretty positive I have more power out of my PCV than ECUnleashed believed they would get out of a reflash. And when I was speaking to the guy last year he noted I needed to send them all my mods so they could build around what i have done to my bike. So this winter when I do my valve porting, guess what another 500 bucks to have them reflash it, or oh yeah I have my cool little PCV and auto tune that does it for me. Next will be the timing module. I am sure with a little studying and playing around I can match/ beat what any of these companies claim to be able to get you from a reflash!

DJ

I am positive with a little studying you can match or beat what most companies that supply Performance flashes. They are one in the same, although i say that Tim Nash has done thousands of hours, on the Vmax tuneing that by far is better than any other big company or owner/operator tuning with a PCV , not yet anyhow :D. You yourself have done a lot of tuning on the FZ8 and have more experience with creating the ultimate mixture thru out the RPM range ,ander various load conditions, than most can or will do with the PCV. You have several MAPS that have been useful.

Bam Bam

And every time you do another mod, take your ecu out, send it in and pay for them to reflash it, blah blah blah. They can only guess at how your bike is going to react to the mods, and their maps. Generally sending your ecu in for remaping is your starting point, once you get it back you either go to another tuner to dyno tune, or you hook your lap top up and start doing some data logging and map building to fine tune your map for your vehicle.

I have built several vehicles, all have had a tuner of some sort, any tuner I can play with and design my own map is the way I want to go. I learn something, there are so many tools out there now its almost difficult to fuck up your ride (wide band sensor, af meters, egt sensors, timing/ knock sensors, preset warnings in most tuning software, etc), there are endless possibilities to your mods now, and its just freakin fun.

Like everything else in this world, its a whole lot easier to have someone else do it for you. Get off your ass and read, you might be able to learn something.

DJ

I have a Guhl flash on both my bikes 2011 Fz8 and 2011 Zx10r fully deristricts factory set limitations. A power comander or Bazzaz does nothing more than tune your air fuel ratio threw out the rpm range. it does not in no way do the same thing as an Ecu flash. you tell me how you are goin to get your power comander to open secondary throttle plates at a more aggressive rate and change ignition timing at every throttle percentage for every gear (Fz8 had whats known as a soft throttle,timing retard in lower rpm of lower gears Restricting this bike very badly. if you can do that with your power comander than god bless you. you should be a NUCLEAR PHYSICIST!:)

Bam Bam

$375 for Reflashon the zx10 $275on the fz8 with fuel tune loaded into your ecu. once you have paid he will adjust anything for free. go to ZX10r.net and do some research on the GUHL reflash you guys are really missing out.

Last edited:

SCRAM

DJ

Your obviously very talented, but I, prob like most people cant match/beat something I do as a hobbie compared to what a pro does everyday for his living. A pcv doesnt unrestrict the factory restrictions put on our bike, no matter what map you make. I agree you should do your mods first, for most of us that means a new slip on. I don't think anyone will be changing theirs over and over again to necesitate another ecu re-flash. However if you do make changes after re-flash, send it back and he will re-flash again FREE OF CHARGE. Do not know of any other company that does this but Guhlmotors. The cost for all this is $375. Not much more than a PCV. And by the time you buy a timing module and whatever else the re-flash is less $$$. Maybe you enjoy wrenching and taking the time to remove the secondary butterflies as well? As for me I'd rather be riding.

F

Fazed

Maybe you enjoy wrenching and taking the time to remove the secondary butterflies as well? As for me I'd rather be riding.

I believe you and Bam Bam are just accounts created by someone trying to drum up business and circumvent the rules for advertising businesses here. If you are not, how about you introduce yourselves properly, like everyone else has. What mods do you have on your FZ8? Before and after Dyno charts of your FZ8?

Bam Bam

I believe you and Bam Bam are just accounts created by someone trying to drum up business and circumvent the rules for advertising businesses here. If you are not, how about you introduce yourselves properly, like everyone else has. What mods do you have on your FZ8? Before and after Dyno charts of your FZ8?

nope fraid not fazed