Loss of power shortly after break in.

TheTano

Hi I was wondering if any of you guys have experienced a sudden loss of power. I'm at about 1200 miles and I stopped to get gas and when I left the station the bike felt neutered, all the torque seemed to have gone into hiding. The dealer says there's nothing wrong with it but I'm going to see if they'll let me test drive one there to see if there is a difference.

Anyways. Just wondering if anyone else has this problem.

V

Vapordan

My first service was about 2 weeks ago. The bike behaviour did not change. The gearbox got less noisy and somewhat less clunky but that was all.

TheTano

Well I got the bike on the 3rd of July and did the 600 mile service on the 11th. I did notice the gearbox got noticeably better immediately after the service too/ But yeah I noticed the power drop on the 24th. Maybe it's in my head, but it's just such a drastic loss of torque I can't really accept it's my imagination. I'll let you guys know what happens.

MotoRick

Motorcycle Fanatic
Well I got the bike on the 3rd of July and did the 600 mile service on the 11th. I did notice the gearbox got noticeably better immediately after the service too/ But yeah I noticed the power drop on the 24th. Maybe it's in my head, but it's just such a drastic loss of torque I can't really accept it's my imagination. I'll let you guys know what happens.

This is a great excuse to do a dyno run. There must be someplace nearby that will do that for you and having that dyno printout is cool.

EDIT: Wait until you pass the 1000 mile break-in before doing a dyno run, ok?

Wolf_Hook

Don't worry I'm at 1200 miles already

How did you break your motor in?

I didn't take mine past 5k for the first 500 miles. However after that I rode it pretty damn hard, plus I commute 45 miles each way at a constant 6k rpm (80-85mph) I'm at 3k miles now and dont feel any loss in power from the day I got her. Actually feels a little stronger after the 1k mile mark, who knows could just be me making shit up though.

TheTano

It was strong as hell at the 1 k mark. Maybe I just got a bad batch of fuel. I'm picking it up from the dealer when I get out of work tonight.

EDIT
Also I did the break in per the owners manual.

Last edited:

Black Widow

Avid Rider
After a couple thousand miles, i too noticed a drop in power. I suspect it was me getting used to the power and not such a thrill when getting north of 6k rpm's. The more i ride it the more i am looking for more power, never seem to get the same rush of excitement as the first 40 or so times cracking the throttle.

Mrpacis

My opinion It is you. You are used to the power this not getting the same adrenaline rush. I'm the same way. Thinking of changing gears to get more torque low end. Lol or maybe get another bike like a zx10r lol

TheTano

I thought the same thing but it was such a drastic drop...
I went home and slept on it thinking it may be in my head but when I rode it the next day it just felt wrong. The biggest thing I noticed is when I take off and I'm hitting the friction zone in the clutch the bike had a bit of a bite to it but now it's amazingly easy to shift and is very tame.

Edit
It's very possible that it's just me but I could swear that the front used to lift a little during take off, not off the ground but you could feel it trying. Now the front end is planted with no illusion of trying to move.

I don't know I would really like to ride another one to see if I'm just a nut case.

Last edited:

master paper clip

I would go with what everyone else is saying, hell i just got mine 500 mi ago and its already feels different then when i left the dealer. Your just used to the bike more and now u know how it acts.

Mrpacis

Look at it this way. When you first got it you were like whoa! So much power. Then now you've been ridin it a lot. You got used to it. You know what to expect from it. You know how to control it. I believe are are many ways I improving or making it more powerful. Gearin Power commanders. Etc.

Harrywz

Look at it this way. When you first got it you were like whoa! So much power. Then now you've been ridin it a lot. You got used to it. You know what to expect from it. You know how to control it. I believe are are many ways I improving or making it more powerful. Gearin Power commanders. Etc.

Punch it when you are at 8000rpm, you will feel engine kick in. I had an 07 R1
felt good above 6000rpm at WOT. When it hit 10K it kicked in again and felt like an afterburner started up. What a rush!

V

Vapordan

If you think it's not in your head and it's real, here are a few troubleshooting steps:
1 throttle valve malfunction, not opened fully
2 insufficient fuel delivery
3 throttle switch faulty or misadjusted
4 airflow meter faulty
5 ignition system faulty

Good luck.

Harrywz

If you think it's not in your head and it's real, here are a few troubleshooting steps:
1 throttle valve malfunction, not opened fully
2 insufficient fuel delivery
3 throttle switch faulty or misadjusted
4 airflow meter faulty
5 ignition system faulty

Good luck.

Try checking for error codes. I think its ignition off, hold both buttons reset and select, turn key to on and keepholding for 10 seconds and I think this will show error codes.

compensation

Just my:2cents: but at 1000 miles I wanted to see it scream. That was the only time power ever pulled the front wheel up over a foot on power alone in second gear. Top it off i was going down hill and couldnt get the bike to do it again even at the same spot it did it the first time.

kjonas75

Adding the K&N filter as well as slip on definetely dropped low end power
Adding a PCV improved this somewhat.

Take it in for a Dyno run and see what numbers you get.

bobbyb

In first gear, gently run it up to about 6000 rpm. then hammer the throttle wide open. you should hit 60 mph almost instantly and 10000 rpm
let us know.
B

TheTano

Sorry I'm so late getting back to you guys.(I was busy riding lol) There WAS water in the gas tank. I am now gonna try to see if I can get some reimbursement from my local hess station.

Thanks to everyone for all of the advise :D

Harrywz

Sorry I'm so late getting back to you guys.(I was busy riding lol) There WAS water in the gas tank. I am now gonna try to see if I can get some reimbursement from my local hess station.

Thanks to everyone for all of the advise :D

Good luck with compensation. Don't know if its available in your area especially with the time of year but see if you can get some gas line antifreeze, add that to your tank in proper quantity and it will clear out the water or that additive that Yamaha is pushing for ethanol enhanced fuel thats added to your gas. Yamalube fuel stabilizer/conditioner.