Led taillight goes dim when started

Fz2fast4u

Hi guys I have a led tailight with integrated turn signals. When I turn the key to the on position the light works fine. Once I start the bike the light get very dim and you cant even see it. It also looks like its flickering. That being said the turn signals still work fine. Now it had been working and the only throng that changed was the front led signals. Any ideas ?

lyric911

Hi guys I have a led tailight with integrated turn signals. When I turn the key to the on position the light works fine. Once I start the bike the light get very dim and you cant even see it. It also looks like its flickering. That being said the turn signals still work fine. Now it had been working and the only throng that changed was the front led signals. Any ideas ?

The integrated tail light you have probably has a controller that fixes the blink rate, and now your front does not. You'll need a resistor for the front signals.

RyanSterling

Suspension Mod Evangelist
I would honestly suggest getting a "signal rate controller." Easy to find on fleabay with a search. I don't personally like how hot the resistors get, if you tuck em away near other wires they can melt stuff.
:2cents:

RyanSterling

Yup. just like that one. Install is quite literally plug and play. Remove your seat and unplug the stock one. Which I believe is located on the right side of the bike towards the rear section of where the seat goes. Looks like any other square relay. Unplug the old, and plug in the new. :)

Just to be clear though. Which light is it that is getting dim when you start the bike. The tail light or the turn signal?

Last edited:

NJFz8

i believe he was referring to the tail light (brakes) . Id be curious to know if this is the case, as i dont know if anyone else realized that at idle when we pull on the front brake lever or step on the rear glowing the rear light, the rpm's dip slightly, as the alternator is under higher load for a moment. I would suspect that this is not the case as LED's draw much less power. I'm wondering if perhaps your taillight is bad, and its pulling to much power somehow, or if you have it somehow wired for the tail light backwards, as i know that led's are sometimes polar dependent (specific positive and negative leads). I just ordered the $40 one from ebay, and i will report back how it works. Its the smoked led one you can find from those generic ebay stores. Not the awesome 77$ one, im too cheap to spend nearly 100 bucks on some leds i know that if i took the time i could practically make.......... lol :D

Fz2fast4u

I will try the controller. It is bright when the key is turned on. But when it's started and running in extremely dim

trixster8

So everything on the integrated light (turns/tail/brake) worked ok before you installed the front signals? Does the brake light work when the engine is running? When you installed the front signals, what did you do with the running light wires?

hutru01

Knights of Columbus
Install is quite literally plug and play. Remove your seat and unplug the stock one. Which I believe is located on the right side of the bike towards the rear section of where the seat goes. Looks like any other square relay. Unplug the old, and plug in the new. :)

This is correct. I put a Rumble Concepts LED Easy Plug Relay in mine.

Rumble Concept

It looks like this.

You can find them for about 20-30 bucks online.

https://www.google.com/#hl=en&tbm=shop&sclient=psy-ab&q=RUMBLE+LED+EASY+PLUG+RELAY+yamaha&oq=RUMBLE+LED+EASY+PLUG+RELAY+yamaha&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&gs_l=serp.3...8649l9375l2l9458l7l7l0l0l0l0l141l759l0j6l6l0.frgbld.&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_cp.r_qf.,cf.osb&fp=8b2c74d8f61461d1&biw=1600&bih=761

Fz2fast4u

Honestly I'm not 100% if it was when I installed the front signals but i think it was. I used two wires for the led and just disregarded the third wire on the front signals. Thy work great nice and bright. When I hit the brake and the engine is running its the same dim. But the rear integrated turn signals are bright. It's just the tail/brake light

RyanSterling

If it is just the tail/Brake light then unfortunately the new flash module wont help you. Though to be honest it's a good upgrade to make anyways.

Without being able to see it first hand I would suspect that you have a bad tail light.

I know this sounds silly but have you tried firing up the bike and standing a few feet back from the bike to check the tail light for brightness? I have found that sometimes with aftermarket reflectors particularly ones that rely on the color of the LED as opposed to the lens that they don't look very bright until you are at least 3 or 4 feet from them. It is more of an angle/refraction issue than an electrical one.

The LED light I have on my FZ is like that, but the one on my Triumph is not, so it's not always the case but worth a look anyways.

Fz2fast4u

I have tried that. It's weird like I said if the bike ignition is on but not running its bright as hell then practically goes out when started and flickers slightly. I moved the connections around with no luck. Maybe I will disconnect it and see if it's a bad connection. I just don't k ow why it's loosing power when started.

hutru01

Knights of Columbus
I have tried that. It's weird like I said if the bike ignition is on but not running its bright as hell then practically goes out when started and flickers slightly. I moved the connections around with no luck. Maybe I will disconnect it and see if it's a bad connection. I just don't k ow why it's loosing power when started.

How do you have it wired up from the Taillight to the OEM connection?

RyanSterling

I personally would plug the stocker back in and if it functions normally I would leave it in for the time being while I shipped the other one back. Sounds to me like the light you got was bad. Sorry man, that sucks.