LED Tail Light

D

Deleted member 438

One last Q, does it come with OE connectors for the turns? I also found the pigtails for the turns on ebay for cheap if I need 'em.

lothodon

Super Moderator
nope, just snipped wires. i thought about getting the connectors but decided to just cut/solder/heat shrink the wires. i'm rather anal about wiring and now that it's done most people wouldn't be able to tell it's not stock.

teemo

Just an fyi to anyone who doesn't want to snip/tap wires.. I just got an e-mail from Motodynamic today and they said they will be releasing a direct drop in kit in "a few weeks".

Guess I'll wait and report back in.

hutru01

Knights of Columbus
Just an fyi to anyone who doesn't want to snip/tap wires.. I just got an e-mail from Motodynamic today and they said they will be releasing a direct drop in kit in "a few weeks".

Guess I'll wait and report back in.

I emailed Motodynamics about it, after the fact. I guess they have had enough feedback to change it now. :)

For those who want a OEM plug to use, you may simply get one of these:

I got this part from Surdyke Yamaha here.

From there, all you have to do is splice the Motodynamic wires to the OEM plug above and you are good. Better than cutting up the OEM plug on your bike IMO.

lothodon

Super Moderator
you would also need the connectors for each turn signal as well as i have yet to see an aftermarket tail withOUT the integrated turns.

trixster8

you would also need the connectors for each turn signal as well as i have yet to see an aftermarket tail withOUT the integrated turns.

The Motodynamics light comes with the correct turn signal connectors, it's just the tail/brake connector that is wrong.

trixster8

I went a different route with those license plate bolt LEDs. Instead of using them to mount the plate, I mounted them in the fender mount's rear bolt holes. This also made it real easy to wire, check it out.

hutru01

Knights of Columbus
Motodynamics LED Taillight Installed

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NX-gBeGtScc&context=C30687e8ADOEgsToPDskIIGkY3i0lGfo7cyNaEniNO]Motodynamics LED Taillight Installed - 2011 Yamaha FZ8 - YouTube[/ame]

lothodon

Super Moderator
that is why i kept my turns with my led tail light. i felt like the red overpowered any flashing. i would love to have the flashing brake light but it's been such habit of mine to do that manually i don't know how it would work.

and holy mute that music man!

hutru01

Knights of Columbus
that is why i kept my turns with my led tail light. i felt like the red overpowered any flashing. i would love to have the flashing brake light but it's been such habit of mine to do that manually i don't know how it would work.

and holy mute that music man!

The music is what makes the video cool! :)

I will say that the video isn't that great of quality, but I think the 3 flash brake light is a great safety feature. I typically use hand signals if I am in town and their are cars behind me.

vargon09

So does anyone know of a link for a step by step or pictures of how to splice the wires on the motodynamic tail light? They are out of the fz8 specific tail light, but the fz1 is in stock and it may be worth it just to do the splicing/fitting rather than wait for months.

teemo

So does anyone know of a link for a step by step or pictures of how to splice the wires on the motodynamic tail light? They are out of the fz8 specific tail light, but the fz1 is in stock and it may be worth it just to do the splicing/fitting rather than wait for months.

They aren't out it's just they haven't made one yet and it's a placeholder because of high demand. I'm actually waiting for the plug n play one myself.

lyric911

The brake light portion is plug and play, I believe. It's the indicator portion that requires snipping off the plugs and wiring with your connector of choice. I can take a look tonight (assuming I don't forget) as to what color goes to what.

hutru01

Knights of Columbus
I have similar lights on mine, they really dont light the plate worth a damn.. but they do look good in the day :2cents:

I ended up just using a fender eliminator. I couldn't find a good straight side mount that wasn't curved or designed for a harley. In Virginia, they require the plate to be straight and visible and not curved.

Last edited:

vargon09

The brake light portion is plug and play, I believe. It's the indicator portion that requires snipping off the plugs and wiring with your connector of choice. I can take a look tonight (assuming I don't forget) as to what color goes to what.

This would be a huge help! Because I want to wire it up correctly to where the brake light and the turn signals work right.

RyanSterling

Suspension Mod Evangelist
I have one of these on my bike as well. I will try and get some pics of how I wired it when I get home.

Has anyone else noticed that the tail lights aren't the brightest thing in the world at off angles?

I have a similar integrated light on my Bonneville and it is at least twice as bright. Was actually thinking this morning of looking for another solution.

clemmel

I'll 2nd that the angle view of these LED lights is not very bright in sunlight. Straight behind and in the view of the reflectors, the brake is very visible. I tell myself that ultimately, you need the person behind you to see the brakes going on but I'm not selling myself on that very well.

Last edited: