Laptop purchase opinions

FZER

Avid Rider
Hey everybody, I’ve been nursing along my wireless personal laptop that’s a Toshiba satellite and admittedly I’m very limited in my computer knowledge. The three main problems I see with it is it runs windows vista basic, it only has 1g of storage, and something that I’m not completely clear on is it says the processor runs 530 at 1.73ghz. I’m pretty sure all of these things lend to it being extremely slow. Instead of upgrading this one with windows 7 and everything I thought it would be better to just get a newer better laptop. I have run full scans on it for viruses and ext., but it is really crappy. I don’t want to spend really over $500 on one, but thought I’d ask ya’ll about opinions.

I mostly shop, go on this forum, watch TV shows/youtube, when the weather is bad I use it to keep updated on the weather when our dish starts going in and out, and I also burn and rip a bunch of CD’s.

So what brand do you guys suggest, where should I buy it, and please help in with an explanation of speed. We use Cox high speed internet and it’s actually really good on our other computers.

lyric911

I've been a Thinkpad only guy for...15 years? Good quality, business class stuff. It's pricey though.

If you want something that will last Dell Business class (Not an Inspiron) or Thinkpad are really the only two names worth looking at. Otherwise whatever cheap thing is on mega sale at Best Buy is basically equivalent.

Harrywz

Hey everybody, I’ve been nursing along my wireless personal laptop that’s a Toshiba satellite and admittedly I’m very limited in my computer knowledge. The three main problems I see with it is it runs windows vista basic, it only has 1g of storage, and something that I’m not completely clear on is it says the processor runs 530 at 1.73ghz. I’m pretty sure all of these things lend to it being extremely slow. Instead of upgrading this one with windows 7 and everything I thought it would be better to just get a newer better laptop. I have run full scans on it for viruses and ext., but it is really crappy. I don’t want to spend really over $500 on one, but thought I’d ask ya’ll about opinions.

I mostly shop, go on this forum, watch TV shows/youtube, when the weather is bad I use it to keep updated on the weather when our dish starts going in and out, and I also burn and rip a bunch of CD’s.

So what brand do you guys suggest, where should I buy it, and please help in with an explanation of speed. We use Cox high speed internet and it’s actually really good on our other computers.

530 runs at 1.73ghz.
530 = Intel Celeron M
1.73ghz is the speed of unit, actually multiplied from bus speed of 533mhz.

Right now notebooks/laptops are going for a good deal. For your purposes a notebook with an Intel i3 or i5 processor would work well. that would be either a dual or quad core. Now depending on what amount of ram you get with the machine will determine which version of Windows 7 you will get. 4 gig or less you'll get the 32 bit version and anything over 4 gig should get you the 64 bit version (home premium) If you are planning on using a powercommander on the bike you have to be carefull. I don't think the powercommander software works with the 64 bit version of win 7.Now we look at storage. Most come with a minimum 320gig hard drive and up.
Screen size and type is another factor in price. 15.6" size is nice to work with.If you can afford it, go with a 17" if its going to be your main unit. The screens are usually LCD and most are coming with LED backlighting now. Some pricier laptops have dedicated video ram, better for gaming. Most share video ram with main ram. As well, a lot of these machines have a card reader built in. This allows you to insert digital camera ram into the slot and you can read right from the card instead of hooking camera up thru USB, just make sure that this will support SDHC cards. Another feature is HDMI out on the unit. This allows direct hookup to most newer flat screen tv's. Best Buy always has something on special.

FZEE8

Based on your requirements, I'd get an MacBook or Airplay. I have both a Dell and Apple and I prefer the Apple. It never fails from coming back from Sleep and it works great with all of the other Apple products I own (iPad, iPhone, AppleTV).

FZER

Avid Rider
Would I need a different router if I went 64bit?

I'm still a little unclear about the speed thing. I see processor speeds, I'm guessing my computer has a processor speed of 1.7 and I see ones in my price range as high as 2.9. I'm guessing 2.9 wt 6g memory should be as fast as our bikes right? I may have to up my price a hundred dollars or so.

Last edited:

lyric911

I'm still a little unclear about the speed thing. I see processor speeds, I'm guessing my computer has a processor speed of 1.7 and I see ones in my price range as high as 2.9. I'm guessing 2.9 wt 6g memory should be as fast as our bikes right? I may have to up my price a hundred dollars or so.

The router you have will work fine. Don't get too worked up about processor speeds. The MHz numbers aren't exactly useful for your usage patterns.

Harrywz

Your router will be fine. You just have to setup your wireless info on the replacement computer so you can connect to the router. If you are just using the LAN port on the computer, you just plug in the cable and you're set. Processor speeds are confusing. All computers are using a base frequency. To make it easy we'll just use 500MHZ. So you need a processor that runs at 500MHZ as a base frequency. Now the processor has a muliplier built in, lets just use 4X as the multiplier. So we take 4 x 500 and we get 2000mhz as the working speed of the processor. Your memory works the same way. It is set for a base frequency to work at. Memory speed also affects how fast a computer will work.

compensation

I went to verizon 2 years ago and got a netbook. That is what you need. 200 bucks or less. Mine is a hp and i bought a plug in cd drive/ burner. It is small and i use to take it in the treestand with me deer hunting. (Dont ask:) ) It has not let me down. It runs xp and does everything i need. I shop, learn, download, and watch netflix with it.

MotoRick

Motorcycle Fanatic
I went to verizon 2 years ago and got a netbook. That is what you need. 200 bucks or less. Mine is a hp and i bought a plug in cd drive/ burner. It is small and i use to take it in the treestand with me deer hunting. (Dont ask:) ) It has not let me down. It runs xp and does everything i need. I shop, learn, download, and watch netflix with it.

I think he would have a very hard time finding anything that comes with XP.

compensation

Yeah it might not be an option. But i like xp 10,000 times better then vista. That might work as an advantage. Find one on ebay or computer store that has been wiped clean and is used.

sinclap2

Lazy
Can I make an alternative suggestion? :2cents:

Are you using the Laptop in front of the TV most of the time(If not, then what I am about to say is moot!)?

Why don't you have a small desktop computer (no monitor just the box) made up and connect that up to your TV (either through HDMI or a Monitor cable, assuming you have a Plasma/LCD/LED TV). The small desktops are usually cheaper than laptops (well they are here) and you can can get more bang for you buck? You don't have to go overboard on their spec's either.

I have have a small/mini computer (running an small atom processor) connected to my 46" TV in the loungeroom. I can download, cruise the net and burn CD/DVD/BR's. I just have a cordless keyboard and mouse. You can then watch your downloaded TV programs on a bigger screen!

The BIG disadvantage is NO PORTABILITY! So, you can't take it to kitchen if someone wants to use the TV [D'OH]. That isn't a problem for me being single, I can do whatever I want :D

Sorry, I am not a fan of Laptops. They tend to be over priced for what you get. I am definitely PC man, but I love my iPad, which is my alternative to having a laptop, 'cept she doesn't burn DVDs [I was going to suggest an iPad or some other tablet as another alternative].

Remember this is only suggestion! :D It works for me but isn't going to work for everyone!

Last edited:
V

Vapordan

Are you using the Laptop in front of the TV most of the time(If not, then what I am about to say is moot!)?

Why don't you have a small desktop computer (no monitor just the box) made up and connect that up to your TV (either through HDMI or a Monitor cable, assuming you have a Plasma/LCD/LED TV). The small desktops are usually cheaper than laptops (well they are here) and you can can get more bang for you buck? You don't have to go overboard on their spec's either.

I have have a small/mini computer (running an small atom processor) connected to my 46" TV in the loungeroom. I can download, cruise the net and burn CD/DVD/BR's. I just have a cordless keyboard and mouse. You can then watch your downloaded TV programs on a bigger screen!

The BIG disadvantage is NO PORTABILITY! So, you can't take it to kitchen if someone wants to use the TV [D'OH]. That isn't a problem for me being single, I can do whatever I want :D

Sorry, I am not a fan of Laptops. They tend to be over priced for what you get. I am definitely PC man, but I love my iPad, which is my alternative to having a laptop, 'cept she doesn't burn DVDs [I was going to suggest an iPad or some other tablet as another alternative].

Remember this is only suggestion! :D It works for me but isn't going to work for everyone!

Actually, that's a very good suggestion. That's how mine is setup. Beefy server in the basement (a lot cheaper than the laptop price). Laptop in the home office for the times when I need to work extended and a bunch of iPads scattered through the house for surfing, netflixing, researching etc. I'll remote in to the server from the iPad when I need to stream stuff from the server or need heavy files.

H

Hoover

I have 2 Asus products. A laptop and a notebook. I run Kaspersky anti-virus on both and have had no issues with either for over 3 years.
Best bang for you buck as far as I'm concerned. They are ranked very highly by those who know.

Marthy

+1 on the ThinkPad. I got mine about 1 year ago and it work great. They go for cheap! My wife has a Toshiba running Visturd also. I upgrade it to Window 7 and it's night and days!!! Look into what your machine can handle. Changing RAM car is super easy, just find out how much it can handle and pimp her out. That will help the speed...

Harrywz

+1 on the ThinkPad. I got mine about 1 year ago and it work great. They go for cheap! My wife has a Toshiba running Visturd also. I upgrade it to Window 7 and it's night and days!!! Look into what your machine can handle. Changing RAM car is super easy, just find out how much it can handle and pimp her out. That will help the speed...

Just remember with ram, Windows 7, 32 bit will only address 3 gig of ram. You need Windows 7, 64 bit to address more than 3 gig. You'll see a lot of laptops come with 4 gig and Windows 7, 32 bit, windows uses 3 and the last gig is used for shared video memory.

Marthy

Just remember with ram, Windows 7, 32 bit will only address 3 gig of ram. You need Windows 7, 64 bit to address more than 3 gig. You'll see a lot of laptops come with 4 gig and Windows 7, 32 bit, windows uses 3 and the last gig is used for shared video memory.

Ok! Win7 upgrade alone is much faster. Or it is on my wife PC at least. If I remember well my Tpad has 4G upgradeable to 16G or something stupid like that...LOL

FZER

Avid Rider

Yep portability is very high on my short list of needs. I like to carry the laptop out to the garage when I'm working on something, then if I need pics and such to help out the pooter is right there.