Knocking the Cat

jumb5150

Bored at work so I might knock out the cat. Just wondering if you guys left the exhaust system on while you knocked out the cat.

xXAvroArrowXx

.... Although I don't think one would have to disconnect any part of the exhaust to get the job done.

(Sorry. I know you're asking a legit question. I'm bored as well and couldn't help myself)

thach1130

I don't see how you could knock out the cat without taking off the header. Wouldn't you have to stand the header up to let the pieces fall out? Unless you plan to break them up and vaccume it with with a small enough attachment or rev the engine to blast it out.

jumb5150

Actually I found a good how-to on it

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=om3ZvUqKnfQ]FZ1 Video Tutorials - Exhaust - YouTube[/ame]

MikeC

Weekend Rider
Not to be a devils advocate, I for one am totally against knocking out the catalytic converter. Yes, I know it robs precious HP, but it's just one of those things that, I feel, degrades the quality of the whole experience for very little benefit.

Here's what I like about the cat:
Reduces Raspyness in that it acts like a muffler
Reduces Smell and noxious exhaust fumes so that you don't smell like a motorcycle when you get done riding.
OEM cats literally cost $900 dollars for the FZ8 and replacing is a beeyotch since you replace the whole header and not just the cat section (like on cars)
Lastly and probably the most worthless reason, emissions.

On those Honda-tech forums, I see people go around buying up cats that get "Deleted" with a test pipe. These kids think they're doing themselves a great favor for 2-3 hp but when it comes time to put it back on, they can't afford or find anything better.

By no means am I one of those keep it OEM advocates. I'm juiceboxed, slip-on'd k&n'd and airbox modded out (which is also worthless) but the cat is one part of the bike I won't touch for reasons listed above.

lyric911

You can remove the cat while the exhaust is on the bike. Just take the bike outside after and rev it to spew out the dust before you put your muffler back on.

thach1130

I agree, I would have kept my catalytic converter too but it needed to be remove to fit the slipon can under the belly. Not to mention the cat is filled with platinum. With the current price of platinum you could collect quite a bit of money recovering the material from all those car delete projects.

The FZ1 cat outlet is huge. Also it's interesting that the FZ1 have a heatshield in front of the seat. Maybe that helps a lot with our seat heating issues

MikeC

Weekend Rider
I agree, I would have kept my catalytic converter too but it needed to be remove to fit the slipon can under the belly. Not to mention the cat is filled with platinum. With the current price of platinum you could collect quite a bit of money recovering the material from all those car delete projects.

The FZ1 cat outlet is huge. Also it's interesting that the FZ1 have a heatshield in front of the seat. Maybe that helps a lot with our seat heating issues

Thach, you have the Marthy underbelly? If I had the money, I'd definitely do that exhaust, it's so sexy.

thach1130

yeah. marthy does pretty sweet modifucation to the header. here is how it looks after i painted it with header ceramic paint. so nice and tidy under there. i even gets to keep my centerstand

cambo

Avid Rider
haha that's funny, I actually did this today because I came across the same fz1 tutorial video.

I ended up just drilling a shit ton of holes into the honey comb part. The bend of the pipe made it a little difficult so I was just drilling whatever I could; mainly in the center. I ending up clearing about a 1.5 inch diameter in the middle of the honey comb section...with a couple random holes along the outer edge. Behind the honey comb section (which looked to be only about an inch thick)....it looks like there's a wall. Anyway, I stopped drilling and just cleared out what I could of the honeycomb part...there's still an outer edge of it left. I revved my engine to blast out the crap, and buttoned everything back up lol.

I don't know why I actually did it, I think because I saw the video and the dude made it look easy so I wanted to try it out lol

MikeC

Weekend Rider
yeah. marthy does pretty sweet modifucation to the header. here is how it looks after i painted it with header ceramic paint. so nice and tidy under there. i even gets to keep my centerstand

GAWD I love the rack too! I picked up one last week, coming from canada!!

cambo

Avid Rider

g'damn thach your bike looks really sleek. I really like that rear tire hugger

reALIGNed

Not to be a devils advocate, I for one am totally against knocking out the catalytic converter. Yes, I know it robs precious HP, but it's just one of those things that, I feel, degrades the quality of the whole experience for very little benefit.

Here's what I like about the cat:
Reduces Raspyness in that it acts like a muffler
Reduces Smell and noxious exhaust fumes so that you don't smell like a motorcycle when you get done riding.
OEM cats literally cost $900 dollars for the FZ8 and replacing is a beeyotch since you replace the whole header and not just the cat section (like on cars)
Lastly and probably the most worthless reason, emissions.

On those Honda-tech forums, I see people go around buying up cats that get "Deleted" with a test pipe. These kids think they're doing themselves a great favor for 2-3 hp but when it comes time to put it back on, they can't afford or find anything better.

By no means am I one of those keep it OEM advocates. I'm juiceboxed, slip-on'd k&n'd and airbox modded out (which is also worthless) but the cat is one part of the bike I won't touch for reasons listed above.

Not sure I follow what your saying here.........you quote the cat robs precious hp, then you say some see gains of only 2-3 hp :idk:
The main benefit to removing the cat is to lower the egt's, by increasing flow, ...hp gains are minimal. However, now if you add a programmer, its a win, win.

thach1130

Did you cut the TB pipe or did you send it to Marthy?

Love the look!

No, TwoBrothers sell a short GP version. I bought the one applicable to a ZX-10R i believe. So it is already short enough. All that needed was having the Vale adapter cut and welded onto the midship conversion. Then you can bolt the TB slip on to that vale adapter. I did wished he cut the vale adapter and welded the adapter to the original clamp and retain the 2 inch outlet on the header which would allow me to change out to different slip-on, but what's done is done. Still love the final result.