It's hard to shift when...

xXAvroArrowXx

My response to the problem; red rubber grease. Not sure if it will do any good,:idk:

Please clarify what the grease is for. Are you thinking that the rod end is seized and causing too much load for the linkage arm to bear?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

TallGuyNW

Hmm.. that is an interesting theory. When I looked at the parts once they were removed, there didn't appear to be any binding that might have caused stress on the poorly welded joint, but I suppose that could be possible and the extra grease wouldn't hurt.

mikefz8

maybe it's just you granite footed individuals smashin' on the clutch. JK! :)

I think that is what happened to mine....in addition to the fact that it is tack welded as noted. Maybe I need to install the gear select indicator so that I don't continually mash first gear when I am already in first gear. Since having it fixed I don't bounce on it.

But seriously I think they designed it much like they design a crumple steering wheel column in case of an accident it (the gear select lever) will crumple and fall apart in a crash (or if a "granite footed individual smashin' on the clutch" jumps on it) as opposed to boring into the instep of your foot in the same incident.

Forward design indeed by yamaha!

Cheers

ps /snark and haha :) just in case you all think i am being a richard face!

Gem rod

Please clarify what the grease is for. Are you thinking that the rod end is seized and causing too much load for the linkage arm to bear?

Any grease is bound to reduce friction. If the weld is weak then the reduction in friction may well stop it from fracturing. If the weld is sound it does no harm anyway.

xXAvroArrowXx

Any grease is bound to reduce friction. If the weld is weak then the reduction in friction may well stop it from fracturing. If the weld is sound it does no harm anyway.

Does no harm, but I don't believe that's the problem unless the OP is reporting that excessive force was required to put it in the next gear and subsequently the weld failed (collateral damage from the real issue) I don't think that was reported, so the broken weld is the primary damage not as a result from another issue - grease isn't the preventative measure.

TallGuyNW

Does no harm, but I don't believe that's the problem unless the OP is reporting that excessive force was required to put it in the next gear and subsequently the weld failed (collateral damage from the real issue) I don't think that was reported, so the broken weld is the primary damage not as a result from another issue - grease isn't the preventative measure.

Nope - no excessive force at all. It had been shifting normally until I was ready for another shift and the lever wasn't where it was supposed to be. Took a quick peek down and saw that it was hanging down. Fortunately, I was near the entrance to a parking lot, so I kept the clutch in, got off the bike, manually reconnected the linkage and was able to get it into neutral.

xXAvroArrowXx

Nope - no excessive force at all. It had been shifting normally until I was ready for another shift and the lever wasn't where it was supposed to be. Took a quick peek down and saw that it was hanging down. Fortunately, I was near the entrance to a parking lot, so I kept the clutch in, got off the bike, manually reconnected the linkage and was able to get it into neutral.

Yeah. So this is just an issue of poor quality control/inadequate engineering. I think Yamaha should be notified about this considering it seems common enough. I have no clue how to initiate that though. Contact DOT?

Gem rod

Yeah. So this is just an issue of poor quality control/inadequate engineering. I think Yamaha should be notified about this considering it seems common enough. I have no clue how to initiate that though. Contact DOT?

This worries me as I am about to take a 500 mile round trip.

Are all the Fazers made in the same factory does anyone know? Could this defect be confined to US models?

Slightly concerned.

xXAvroArrowXx

Are all the Fazers made in the same factory does anyone know? Could this defect be confined to US models?

Slightly concerned.

They all come from the same place, but I wouldn't loose any sleep over it.

xXAvroArrowXx

Slightly concerned.

They all come from the same place, but I wouldn't loose any sleep over it.

G Chase

Pillion
Checked mine. Two crappy welds and I could see daylight around the sleeve and arm where there was no weld. A break down just waiting to happen. Only a matter of time as far as I'm concerned. Lousy quality control. Took it to a local auto joint and had them put a solid bead all the way around the sleeve/arm. Cost $10.00. A new arm...about $40.00 with a lousy weld job.

master paper clip

Checked mine. Two crappy welds and I could see daylight around the sleeve and arm where there was no weld. A break down just waiting to happen. Only a matter of time as far as I'm concerned. Lousy quality control. Took it to a local auto joint and had them put a solid bead all the way around the sleeve/arm. Cost $10.00. A new arm...about $40.00 with a lousy weld job.

Genius!!!!