It's hard to shift when...

TallGuyNW

... the linkage between the shifter and the engine breaks :(
On my way to work today getting ready to shift from 2nd to 3rd when I put my boot under where the shifter *should* be and it's not there. WTF?? The bolt-like connector broke and the shifter is hanging down. Glad I still have one month of warranty!

SeñorJack

El Guapo
Wow. I feel like that's a tough part to break. Picture or where it broke?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2

xXAvroArrowXx

Looks like poor weld penetration. I saw another thread of this happening, looked at mine after I saw that thread - the welds are minimal and not completely circumferential. If others are experiencing this failure I say it's recall-worthy for safety reasons.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

TallGuyNW

Is the picture in my post not showing up for you?
It's on the linkage that connects the shifter to the engine. It broke not down by the shifter, but up where it connects to the transmission. There's a 90 degree connector, shrouded in rubber - this fits through a hole, but it has sheared off. (sorry - I'm not too mechanically inclined... at least I didn't say it was the thingy that connects to the other thingy :) )

SeñorJack

El Guapo
Oh wow Ya I had to see it on my desktop. That's terrible. I mean, how does that even happen lol

Luckily it's an easy, and accessible fix!

TallGuyNW

Confirmed... Weld failure. I'll upload pics later. Like was mentioned, the weld doesnt go the whole circumference. Just two welds covering about 180 degrees.

mikefz8

This same exact thing happened to me when I first bought my bike...about a month or two into my ownership. Not fun at all

TwoWheels

Yup, same thing happened to me. My dealer doesn't own a welder, so I got a new shift arm in on warranty. Seems to be a problem with this bike. I'm gonna weld a solid bead all around the original one and keep it handy as a spare...

I thought I was just unlucky, turns out this seems to be pretty regular for us :(:confused:

Kardiac996

wow. I'm going to check/keep an eye on mine. Seems crazy that yamaha hasn't issued a recall for this.

Obviously this is dangerous. Every bike has its quirks but this looks like negligence.

Thanks for the heads up and posting, sorry it happened though.

Gem rod

... the linkage between the shifter and the engine breaks :(
On my way to work today getting ready to shift from 2nd to 3rd when I put my boot under where the shifter *should* be and it's not there. WTF?? The bolt-like connector broke and the shifter is hanging down. Glad I still have one month of warranty!

This raises an interesting point. Are all FZ8's and Fazer 8's made in the same factory? Are they all Japanese made?

I know that Honda for example outsource their CBF125 build to India and their NT700 to Spain.

Anyone know?