Idiot Yamaha Mechanic?

Lee_533

So When I got my bike service at my local shop, the head mechanic was commenting on how clean my bike was. So I told him the reason it was so clean what because I just cleaned it before riding it in. Now this is where it gets interesting. The mechanic told me to only wash my bike once in a while. He said that washing my bike will ruin the seals because the water will get inside them and dry them out :bs2:. Now I almost slapped him in the face for saying that but I refrained. I just wanted to see what stupid things you guys have heard from a yamaha mechanic. Apparently if you ride in the rain or hit a puddle, your bike is going to die lol

K-Gr.

Bikes for GB tend to look like crap fast, due to almost constantly wet weather there. But that is only aesthetics.

I can believe that washing with pressure gun to often is bad for bikes (I torn my skin off from my left palm with this and it cuts through rubber - so it sure can destroy the sealing if washed to close or to often). But water? no....

V

Vapordan

Bikes for GB tend to look like crap fast, due to almost constantly wet weather there. But that is only aesthetics.

I can believe that washing with pressure gun to often is bad for bikes (I torn my skin off from my left palm with this and it cuts through rubber - so it sure can destroy the sealing if washed to close or to often). But water? no....

well that's the dumbest piece of shit I ever heard. Ask him why Yamaha didn't put that recommendation in the manual. Don't want him working on my bike.

K-Gr.

well that's the dumbest piece of shit I ever heard. Ask him why Yamaha didn't put that recommendation in the manual. Don't want him working on my bike.

You are referring to the first post, aren't you? :)
I'm not keen to read my post is the dumbest piece of shit...:(

David3

You should ask him if he is leaking too since he is probably taking a shower like every other day... :)

Lee_533

Ya, That's why I do my own servicing now. I don't want anyone working on my bike that thinks water destroys it. The bad thing is that he has been working there for around 15 years I think.

V

Vapordan

See, if you don't call them on it they never stop. This guy at Acura wanted to sell me 4 tires as per policy but I only needed two. He says that putting in two will kill the differential. I called him on it. He insisted. I contacted Honda Engineering dept who confirmed that wasn't true. Wrote a letter to his manager asking him to send the guy on training showing him the engineering response. Fixing it one idiot at a time is my passion.

Lee_533

How does water make the bike look bad? I mean if anything it would look nice because dust and bugs wouldn't chip or scratch the paint right?

FZER

Avid Rider
Try this one on for size. Had to get the oil pan replaced, long story...Read unbelieveable oil change. The guys put all four quarts of Shell rotella in my bike. I found it pretty quick, but I thought hey the dealership would know how much oil to put in it and of course when our bikes are on the side stands you can see the oil anyway. It's back to normal now and I haven't had any issues that I know of. I'd think if I'm not leaking I'm maybe ok.

bobbyb

he's a mechanic?

I do my own work on my bike also apart from warranty. The guy put 4 quarts of oil? Our bikes take 3 liters! No oil visible in sight glass when on side stand, bike must be vertical on a flat surface. Oil is set to the indicating mark.
B

DLSGAP

I had a chain and sprockets replaced at a dealer once just because I didn't have a chain tool and couldn't get the front sprocket off.

150 miles later, the master link comes undone. Chain slings up, breaks the rear turn signal, cracked the rear bodywork, and left one hell of a bruise on my leg after breaking the chain guard and ripping my jeans. Chain ended up trippled over itself around the front sprocket and it cracked my transmission case. They had used a clip link rather than a rivet.... apparent wasn't clipped all the way and the mechanic said they use those on all their chain installs cus they're better...

Oh and they wouldn't cover the repairs.

Sschwar4

I liked the old school training for MC mechanic. Worked in the shop a year or two, then went to Factory Training to learn the important stuff.

Today's mechanics seem to lack depth of knowledge, common sense, and customer skills.

Ryandi2

So When I got my bike service at my local shop, the head mechanic was commenting on how clean my bike was. So I told him the reason it was so clean what because I just cleaned it before riding it in. Now this is where it gets interesting. The mechanic told me to only wash my bike once in a while. He said that washing my bike will ruin the seals because the water will get inside them and dry them out :bs2:. Now I almost slapped him in the face for saying that but I refrained. I just wanted to see what stupid things you guys have heard from a yamaha mechanic. Apparently if you ride in the rain or hit a puddle, your bike is going to die lol

I am a Marine tech and all i can say is boats would be F*&^#$ if this was true....

Last edited:

TheTano

See, if you don't call them on it they never stop. This guy at Acura wanted to sell me 4 tires as per policy but I only needed two. He says that putting in two will kill the differential. I called him on it. He insisted. I contacted Honda Engineering dept who confirmed that wasn't true. Wrote a letter to his manager asking him to send the guy on training showing him the engineering response. Fixing it one idiot at a time is my passion.

One second to go off topic here. But is your car All Wheel Drive? because if it is you actually do need to replace four tires at a time....

But back to topic, yeah I wouldnt let that guy touch my bike.

rug_burn

Technically...

I understand where the guy was coming from- any device made from a combination of metals is not going to benefit from getting wet. That's why the surfaces are all either painted or anodized or have some other surface treatment. That's why we all try to keep our bikes stored indoors if possible, and that's why it's best to dry them off after washing them it minimizes corrosion as well as waterspots. But he may still have been an idiot...