I'd rather have a cage vs sliders.

canader

I've done 300 to 500km with the oem cage installed now. It does not change the weight or lean angle of the bike. It is not heavy enough to alter geometry. The cage does definitely give the bike a more aggressive and beefier look but it doesnt stick out much past the edge of the radiator.

I also have the oem center stand and lower cowl (which come with metal brackets) and can say there is no fit issue between any of these parts.

Hope this helps!

MikeC

Weekend Rider
I've done 300 to 500km with the oem cage installed now. It does not change the weight or lean angle of the bike. It is not heavy enough to alter geometry. The cage does definitely give the bike a more aggressive and beefier look but it doesnt stick out much past the edge of the radiator.

I also have the oem center stand and lower cowl (which come with metal brackets) and can say there is no fit issue between any of these parts.

Hope this helps!

same. I have cowls and cage and they fit together perfectly. I can't imagine the YAMA cage getting in the way of a lean since its fairly form fitting and tucks under the header.

cambo

Avid Rider
I dunno...seller with 0 ratings or reviews...but strong like bull....hmm...decisions decisions...

cambo

Avid Rider
Alright, I'll be the guinea pig on this one. Just submitted an order.

FOR SCIENCE!

Michael...nope, don't have any engine/crash protection at all.

Glovik

I am TORN between getting the Givi or Yamaha engine guard. Insanely torn.

The Givi looks like it sticks out way more than the Yamaha one. Pros being it almost looks like it will offer more protection. Downside is, all I can think about is scraping it during a corner and crashing because of it. The Yamaha one looks much more flush, but still looks like it offers good protection.

I've been completely sold on the Givi up until this last week. Something is popping in my head saying to buy the Yamaha one as they made the bike in the first place so I'm sure they know how to make a hopefully perfect engine guard.

Givi one does look great though! But when I see pics from behind it looks pretty wide.

Someone with each guard should go lay their bikes over to max lean angle (don't drop it!) and see how much clearance the guard still has. It's driving me crazy! I can't choose!!!!!!!!

Lee_533

The Givi looks like it sticks out way more than the Yamaha one. Pros being it almost looks like it will offer more protection. Downside is, all I can think about is scraping it during a corner and crashing because of it. The Yamaha one looks much more flush, but still looks like it offers good protection.

I've been completely sold on the Givi up until this last week. Something is popping in my head saying to buy the Yamaha one as they made the bike in the first place so I'm sure they know how to make a hopefully perfect engine guard.

Givi one does look great though! But when I see pics from behind it looks pretty wide.

Someone with each guard should go lay their bikes over to max lean angle (don't drop it!) and see how much clearance the guard still has. It's driving me crazy! I can't choose!!!!!!!!

Well leaning it over will give you a false reading without a rider and suspension drop. When you are riding the bike you have to thing that you are adding weight and the amount of force that's pushing down on your bike while in a corner.

And to solve your decision making problem, get a coin, heads Yamaha, tails Givi, and flip it lol

Glovik

Well leaning it over will give you a false reading without a rider and suspension drop. When you are riding the bike you have to thing that you are adding weight and the amount of force that's pushing down on your bike while in a corner.

Good point! Didn't even think about that in my tiredness lol. Well that just makes it harder!

cambo

Avid Rider
FOR SCIENCE!! HAhaahah :)

I dunno man...ebay says I should've received this thing yesterday at the latest...still nothing. Tracking number the guy sent me doesn't work either. Looks like my gamble with this guy isn't paying off. Ugh...damn you science...I could've been halfway towards a PCV instead!

dtbrown

I dunno man...ebay says I should've received this thing yesterday at the latest...still nothing. Tracking number the guy sent me doesn't work either. Looks like my gamble with this guy isn't paying off. Ugh...damn you science...I could've been halfway towards a PCV instead!

Track from actually shipping site not through ebay. I find if you do through ebay it's not accurate.

dtbrown

Originally for me it was the GIVI but new yamaha design seems better.

Glovik

Originally for me it was the GIVI but new yamaha design seems better.

I agree and I just installed my Yamaha guard today. I absolutely love it! It has the extra bar connecting the 2 main bars which is not pictured in the sales photo. Took a ride around the block (crappy weather) and I didn't notice any weird weight and it looks perfect! Your legs don't even get close to it so no problem taking legroom or anything. Very happy to have the extra confidence :)

Very easy installation! I don't have a rear stand yet so I had my friend sit on the bike and hold it up because you attach it to kickstand screws. Took about 30mins.

n8kdfz8

I agree and I just installed my Yamaha guard today. I absolutely love it! It has the extra bar connecting the 2 main bars which is not pictured in the sales photo. Took a ride around the block (crappy weather) and I didn't notice any weird weight and it looks perfect! Your legs don't even get close to it so no problem taking legroom or anything. Very happy to have the extra confidence :)

Very easy installation! I don't have a rear stand yet so I had my friend sit on the bike and hold it up because you attach it to kickstand screws. Took about 30mins.

for installation do u just work/slide the engine guard between headers and engine or take off headers? update: i just went to yamaha website and it looks like a two piece frame. am i right?

Last edited:

n8kdfz8

Hope this helps!

when u get a chance can u post a picture of ur bike? would like to see how all that looks together

when u get a chance can u post a picture of ur bike? would like to see how all that looks together

I bought the Givi guard and am supremely happy with it. I low sided my last bike at about 15mph and it ripped every frame slider clean off...Don't plan on trying that again but this thing is solid. I had it on in about 20 minutes with just a basic socket set and allen wrenches.

pictures... http://www.779cc.org/forum/fz8-general-discussion/2790-finally-got-pictures.html

As far as lean angle. I'm not a super aggressive rider but i'm pretty sure the bike would be skidding across the pavement before the guards would hit the ground.