I'd rather have a cage vs sliders.

jafolcke

As far as I know, GIVI makes an "engine guard", as does yamaha for the FZ8. If anyone has any experience or pictures of theirs with any brand of cage or guard, I would love to see it. I already found a few pics of one of the forums members with a GIVI. Looked pretty solid. Just seeing what all is out there before making a purchase.

Havent spilled the bike yet, never hope to, but would like to be prepared.

b-eock

I have the Yamaha cage ordered and in my possession. I don't have the tools nessasary to do the work. So I gotta get that done soon. But I feel safer at mind with a cage. And it adds to the custom look of your bike, IMHO.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

jafolcke

I have the Yamaha cage ordered and in my possession. I don't have the tools nessasary to do the work. So I gotta get that done soon. But I feel safer at mind with a cage. And it adds to the custom look of your bike, IMHO.

Are there any really special tools necessary? or do you just not have a lot of tools?:D

e11charlie

No special tools other than sockets and an Allen wrench. At least not for the Givi cage. Oh and thread locker.

MikeC

Weekend Rider
Hi jafolcke,

I picked up the Yamaha Cage as one of my first mods and it really does look cool! I feel like it adds to the naked-ness look. I imagine it won't protect the upper half of your bike as well as the givi one or sliders will, but at least your engine is 100% encased which will really protect the covers and stuff. I wish you could run sliders with the yamaha cage, but it mounts at the same point.

Anyways, I don't know anything about the Givi one, but it sticks WAYYY out there. ( a little too much for my tastes)

e11 is right. You'll need some threadlock and a torque wrench if you're doing it the right way.

Installation was a piece of cake.

b-eock

I don't have a torque wrench so there's my problem

MikeC

Weekend Rider
I don't have a torque wrench so there's my problem

ya know, those Beam type torque wrenches are SUPERRR cheap and get the job DONE. Or clicker type is cool too. I have both but sometimes prefer the beam type.

jafolcke

I actually found my first torque wrench (clicker type) on the side of the road still in the package. I never stop to see whats sitting on the side of the road usually either. Glad I did for that one.

MikeC

Weekend Rider
I actually found my first torque wrench (clicker type) on the side of the road still in the package. I never stop to see whats sitting on the side of the road usually either. Glad I did for that one.

Haha, what a find! the only things I've ever found there were rocks and broken bottles.

jafolcke

when the engine guard is installed can you please post up pics since i'm probably going to order the Yamaha cage in the next couple weeks

I think I'll probably get the GIVI. Just for personal preference. I like how big it is for some reason. Problem is, they are out of stock everywhere. Will post pics when I do get one though.

jafolcke

I know the Yamaha one isn't compatible with slider, but is the Givi?

No it is not, Just like the yamaha and probably all other cages/guards, it attaches to the frame of the bike in the same location. Would be pretty cool to see something that can allow cage and sliders, but the design would probably not be too ascetically pleasing.

BIGpanda

The guy that was on here that crashed his bike fabbed something up. It was pretty sweet, he had the cage painted red and some slider pucks were bolted on.

Edit: it was mrpacis

found it.

He's not around anymore though. He was doing something stupid on his bike and crashed it into a guard rail. Started bragging about it and got ran off from what I remember. He took all his posts down too.

Last edited:

Martimusx

I have the GIVI engine guard and it was easy to install but difficult to find someone that had it actually in stock and not needing to order it from italy. Call around first.

Glovik

Does the guard take away any of your clearance for getting low? I was randomly googling about guards and some people say if you're not stunting and just road riding to get sliders because a guard can catch if you lean into a corner fast and low because they stick out. People also talk about it affecting the center weight of the bike, ect.

All this talk was on other bikes though. I'm assuming probably bikes with big fairings that the guards are then sticking over. Do we get a free ride ticket because of our nakedness and no lean is taken away? Or should I just get some awesome sliders and call it a day lol.