How many miles will the FZ8 go on reserve?

lechi542FZ8

You know, I was just dealing with this today. Every time the F trip comes on I let it go 10 or 20 miles and fill up, but I usually only get 3.5 to 3.75 gallons in there and it holds 4.5. So today I let it go to 175 miles total, (33 F trip) before I put any gas in. When I stopped I could still here some gas splashing around in the tank. When I filled it to the bottom of the filler hole I put in a total of 4.0 gallons. But then I slowly added a few squirts at a time to the top, and then it settled back down to the bottom of the fill tube. I did that several times until I had put in about 4.25 gallons. I was able to squeeze in that .25 gallon and didn't get any spills or overflow on the bike when riding it. That's the most I've ever gotten into the tank.

In my opinion, you should easily be able to do 30 miles of F trip. Maybe a little bit more, but you'd be pretty safe with 30. Next, I'm going to carry a pop bottle filled with gas, just to see how far I go before I'm out.

White Rider

I've been busy converting miles and gallons into kms and litres.
175 miles total equals 281.63 kms
33 F Trip miles equals 53 kms
4.25 gallons equals 16 litres
This really helps a lot for touring. I just need someone to run out of petrol now....

C

Camo

My fuel economy is rubbish in comparison to most mentioned... Riding to and from work and a trip down my local twisty's most days sees me averaging around 180-200kms before the light starts flashing at me? Light usually comes on at 180ish and I fill up around 200.

hsrob

Haha I ran out of gas around 40-45 miles into F-Trip. So I'm gonna guess that's about the limit.

W

WARPTH

my fuel guage must be faulty, i get onto f trip after approx 100kms and than it'll only take about 8 litres

Glovik

I've run out twice this summer! Which sucks because I've heard running out of gas with fuel injection isn't the best.

I've always been curious as well as to how long the f-trip will last me as well and wanted to test it out. I was on the interstate while out on just a random day cruse and was about 30mi into my f trip. I kept passing gas exits, thinking the next town was roughly 10mi away and that I could definitely make it to 40. Turns out the town was 15mi away but regardless, I ran out at 38.3 and coasted as long as I could. With no one available to come, I started my long and hot walk of shame on the side of a busy interstate. Luckily a super nice guy pulled over and gave me a ride to a gas station to buy a can ($10!!!) and some gas and a ride back. Threw him a $20 and let him keep my can which i couldn't carry anyways lol.

Second time was middle of the night in town, zippin around with a buddy (who has an older bike and always tells me how jealous of my gas gauge) on the way to go get gas. That time I ran out at 33mi, but i wasn't surprised as we had been out hitting up twisties all day kissing the redline. Not so good for gas mileage.

Even if the gauge isn't completely accurate, it's better to be safe than sorry. At this point, at 20 i'm definitely heading for gas and by 30 I'm praying.

Id fill up as soon as the f-light came on but I like trying to get a good picture on my gas usage that tank.

Glovik

2011 has a 4.49gal with f-trip coming on with 0.9gal remaining. Just checked my manual to make sure.

MarshMadness

So being dyslexic is such a pain in life. But every once in a while it just makes you laugh at yourself. So after reading the title and first few post, this is what I am reading in my head . . . .

just curious how far you can go in reverse on the fz8?
Thinking to myself that I have to push back about 15-20 feet to get out of my shop. And i think it is pretty good but then I read this.

I get 30 miles on Fing trip. I've yet to push it past that though.
Holy cow!?!?! 30 miles in reverse is a freaking trip. I want to hear this story. I am wondering maybe they put a reverse gear in a few as an option I didn't get but we are gunna have a funny experience shared. But there is no explanation. Then I continue reading post and realize that I am an idiot. But it just made me laugh so I thought I would share.
~James

mckshred

great info - thanks for the hardcores that ran their sleds outta' gas so we know what F Trip will do.

I'm sticking to 30m on FTrip.

I've personally been getting anywhere from 46 mpg (range of 207 miles) commuting to work and back (stoplights) and 52 mpg (range of 237 miles) when out on my weekend cruises.

Have a 2 Bros Carbon Pipe, with stock air filter. The bike gets way better mileage with the upgraded exhaust over the stock one.

FZER

Avid Rider
I wouldn't push it a lot for tha same reason some else posted about running out of gas being rough on fuel injection. I'm not sure about all the other components in the systems, but most fuel pumps are cooled by the gas. Even if your just really really low on gas can stress the fuel pump.

FZER

Avid Rider
great info - thanks for the hardcores that ran their sleds outta' gas so we know what F Trip will do.

I'm sticking to 30m on FTrip.

I've personally been getting anywhere from 46 mpg (range of 207 miles) commuting to work and back (stoplights) and 52 mpg (range of 237 miles) when out on my weekend cruises.

Have a 2 Bros Carbon Pipe, with stock air filter. The bike gets way better mileage with the upgraded exhaust over the stock one.

Yep can't go wrong with the exhaust replacement.