How long does the clutch last?

myklobe

I searched around, but really couldn't find any posts on this, but more of a curiosity question. How long does the clutch last on the FZ8? Anyone had to swap out the plates yet?

I was at the dealership the other day and someone was buying new clutch plates for his 2010 R6. I know they are different machines, but I couldn't imagine what kind of abuse you'd have to put it through to kill the clutch plates already. Well, I can imagine the abuse, but I guess for normal (non stunting / non racing all the time riders), wondering how long they should last.

JSP

Administrator
Depends entirely on how you treat it... Some can go in 2k miles, some can easily go 20k+ miles.

I've seen tons of bikes with 20k+ miles on original clutches. 50k and more as well.

You could burn/glaze a clutch out in under 100 miles if you so chose to. :D

So really, there is no answer. Treat it nice and you should be able to do 20k or more. But who knows?

Banky2112

Just plain crazy...
Beock had to switch his out, but he was stunting so I guess that's a little harder on your clutch.

I have been really hard on mine with wheelies and lots of downshifts (sounds cool :rolleyes:) for over a year. And I rode mine like I stole it to redline leaving the dealership parking lot.

4k miles later......

I've only adjusted my slack once, and I didn't NEED to do it, I kinda wanted to learn how.

:2cents:

Banky2112

Just plain crazy...
Forgive my newbishness but what would one have to do to burn through a clutch that quickly?

Halfway engaged and still applying throttle.
Not to be confused with feathering, feathering is ok, it's a wet clutch.
I mean like doing it while going down the road will burn it up.

b-eock

Beock had to switch his out, but he was stunting so I guess that's a little harder on your clutch.

I actually ended up not needing to, but still did it. Even with bringing the bike up from a near complete stop, clutch was fine. Just was being over cautious.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk

RoadKill

i had 27,000 miles on my clutch but the bike had a weird sound (ticking coming from the clutch since new, sometimes when letting it idle for 10 minutes then pulling the lever then the ticking would stop) so the dealer got Yamaha to replace the clutch and basket free, when they inspected the plates they were still almost new with almost no wear. If you know how to ride, you could probably got 70-80k miles before you need to replace it.

Larry P

i had 27,000 miles on my clutch but the bike had a weird sound (ticking coming from the clutch since new, sometimes when letting it idle for 10 minutes then pulling the lever then the ticking would stop) so the dealer got Yamaha to replace the clutch and basket free, when they inspected the plates they were still almost new with almost no wear. If you know how to ride, you could probably got 70-80k miles before you need to replace it.

This noise has driven at least half of us crazy trying to determine if it was a problem or not. Fortunately I put my faith in almighty Yamaha and assumed it was just a characteristic of the clutch and didn't replace it for no reason.

Rotaryknight

Is downshifting bad? I've always done that on all my bikes, yes because it sounds cool :cool: haha, but also to slow me down quickly.

its not bad if you do it right.
When downshifting make sure you give a little throttle to smooth the transition and it will be easier on the clutch. Giving it too much or too little does wear out the clutch faster

Banky2112

Just plain crazy...
Is downshifting bad? I've always done that on all my bikes, yes because it sounds cool :cool: haha, but also to slow me down quickly.

When I hard downshift, I'm using our lack of a slipper clutch to slide into corners a little...... So the clutch is spinning the rear tire so hard it spins faster than the bike is going......

I call that hard on my clutch (a little)

I also under really hard braking will feather out the down shift when I don't want to slide or can't (dirt sand gravel) it won't make the bike so unstable.

Also kinda hard on it.....