Guhl Motors Group Ride (ECU Flash)

MotoZen

So I've been talking with several people somewhat local to Guhl Motors (SE Pennsylvania area) about getting a group ride together. I've just talked to Don over at the shop and he agreed to knock $40 or so off of the price if we can get 7 people to do a ECU flash done. I'm not sure if this is doable or not, but I figured I'd ask.

The full retail cost of the flash is $275 for just a flash. Dyno time and any removal of the ECU will cost extra ($60/hour is their labor rate). That basically means that we can save a bundle if we can take out our own ECU's, which he says he's had people do in the past. I assume that means a line of FZ8's half torn apart in the parking lot.

If we have a handful of us getting it done, Dyno time probably won't be able to get done on that day. If we can get a list started with who wants to get a flash done and what mods you have, it will save time and keep us organized. The downside to a group of us getting it done is that it will likely mean that it will be more of a meetup than a group ride. It still could be a good time though and a chance to meet a bunch of local FZ8 riders.

We also need to start looking at dates. If you're interested in going along, let's start proposing dates ahead of time. The complication with this is planning ahead of time with the severe weather that we've been having in the area. They are not open on Sat. or Sunday. If we have a large enough number of people, maybe they would be willing to open but I haven't asked that.

If you're interested, please start listing available/unavailable dates if you can and what mods you have done. I'll do my best to start an organized list to keep track of it.

97audia4

wow that really blows they arent open on Saturday and Sunday. Unless they do make an exception for us to be there on a Saturday I wont be able to make it the company I work for relies on me to be there during the week.

Bam Bam

I don't think it would be very practical for a bunch of people to go at the same time. The ecu has to be removed from the bike which takes time then flash time then reinstalling the ecu. You don't have to take the bike to him if you mail the ecu he does not need the bike just give him the list of mod done to the bike and he will tune it accordingly. When I did my zx10 we did it through the mail and just to be on the safe side I had the A/f ratio checked on his dyno when I took the fz8 out for him to develop a flash and it was spot on.

MotoZen

He said that it doesn't really take long to flash though, so we were thinking of an assembly line idea. We could all get there and take the ecu's out, then basically hang out while he flashed one after another. We could then ride out from there if there is still time. We'll see what happens.

I originally thought that they could do the flash on the bike, but I was wrong.

Sent from my other favorite addiction (Galaxy S3) using Tapatalk.

Bam Bam

ok cool. Im just glad to see everyone finally catching on. It was starting to seem like it was a lost cause and everytime I turned around had some nay sayer telling me how he could do the same thing with his power commander. You will be very happy. Between both my bikes the money spent on the flash was best bang for your buck mod hands down. Please post your results on the forum.

97audia4

I don't think it would be very practical for a bunch of people to go at the same time. The ecu has to be removed from the bike which takes time then flash time then reinstalling the ecu. You don't have to take the bike to him if you mail the ecu he does not need the bike just give him the list of mod done to the bike and he will tune it accordingly. When I did my zx10 we did it through the mail and just to be on the safe side I had the A/f ratio checked on his dyno when I took the fz8 out for him to develop a flash and it was spot on.

have a link for the ecu removal ?

97audia4

http://www.779cc.org/forum/attachments/fz8-mods/1689d1364650141-guhl-ecu-flash-fz8-ecu-location.jpg its under the airbox the red circles air where the air box mounting bolts are. it can be done by lifting the front of the tank but its easier to just get the tank out of the way. large red circle is the ecu

Thanks for the info I appreciate it. I just wanted to be sure that if I cant make i to the group ride in time for the flash Ill still be able to send mine in

Bam Bam

Thanks for the info I appreciate it. I just wanted to be sure that if I cant make i to the group ride in time for the flash Ill still be able to send mine in

no problem if you got any questions just shoot me a pm and I will try to help you out

thach1130

Well if it's warmer weather I'm in. I'd like to reduce the engine braking and remove rpm limits. Would be able to remove the PCV so I could break even after selling it.

List of my mods

Ais removal and block off plate
KN filter
Airbox mod
Underbelly two brothers gp exhaust (no cat) shortened header.
-1 front sprocket

NoNine4me

With all respect, it's just not at all workable to think of removing an ECU in a parking lot. You've got to remove the fuel tank, plug the fuel line and vents (fuel will leak out during this process), then remove the airbox cover and velocity stacks, and get to the ECU. I had to cut one ziptie doing this. It took 2 hours in my nice warm garage, and another 2 hours to put it all back together. Doing this job in a near-freezing parking lot is not for the faint of heart.

Best to remove it at home, ship it off, have it flashed; then, when everyone gets his/her ECU back, do the group ride to Guhls to buy them all a round of whatever and celebrate.

I had mine done last week and the difference is amazing, but as I mentioned in the thread linked below, if you're a new rider I would not recommend it. The thing is stupid fast in the first three gears as those restrictions are removed, and it is a STRONG runner. I put over 200 hard, fast miles on the bike and it's a new machine, competitive with any naked in its class and then some.

http://www.779cc.org/forum/49711-post1.html

You've been warned.;)

Last edited:

ZeeKdaGreeK

I'm interested but your starting to lose me lol, only possible days on my end are Sunday or Monday, but its a 3 hour ride for me, taking the ride is one thing but then taking her apart in the parking lot and putting her back together again.. If we can get enough members together any way these guys can give a price on the work all together... Ive never been a fan of price oer hour, is it gonna take them 20 mins to do the job or 4 hours??

Bam Bam

Just to clarify everything for those who want the flash but cant make the ride. Guhls does not need the bike to flash the ecu. All you really need to do is pull your ecu and mail it to him. He will go over all your options ask what mods are on the bike and flash it accordingly. For instance when he did my zx10 im 3hrs form him I mailed on a Tuesday and had it back on Thursday. He already used my Fz8 on his dyno to create the flash and the fuel tunes. Group ride is cool but don't think that's the only way to get the flash.

97audia4

Just sucks because they arent open at all during the weekend, that kills the ride for me. If they were open I have enough room in my shop for like 70 bikes so doing an assembly line wouldn't really be an issue plus its heated now too.

MotoZen

So maybe a group flash isn't the way to go. Don said that we can most likely borrow a few tools if we need, but it may not be the best of situations. I liked the idea of a meet up with a purpose, but maybe we should just schedule a ride as a separate event. Thoughts?

Enzod123

I'm not down with removing my tank in the parking lot either. If that shit got scratched or something, I would blow my friggin stack. I'm mailing my ECU to them. I will take the ride to meet up though. Name the place, I will be there.

MotoZen

Just an FYI, I'm going to take my ECU over to Guhl's either Wednesday or Thursday of this week around lunch time since a group ride/event doesn't to be a great plan. I'm planning on taking a slightly longer lunch than usual. Let me know if anyone wants to grab lunch and head over there or anything.