Graves Smog Plates Install Pictures

F

Fazed

I can see that you dropped the radiator, did you have to remove the tank?

Mitchelldietz

No you dont need to remove the tank, I dont even think that would help becasue the frame is still in the way, just drop the rad. Its a PITA to unscrew the bolts because you cant move the Allen wrench very far.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk 2

F

Fazed

No you dont need to remove the tank, I dont even think that would help becasue the frame is still in the way, just drop the rad. Its a PITA to unscrew the bolts because you cant move the Allen wrench very far.

Is there enough room to get a ball end one in there?

I don't think that this is a good idea to do without a fuel controller. Basically the AIS system injects fresh air into the exhaust. The O2 sensor and ECU expects this. If you remove the system there is no fresh air in the exhaust so the O2 sensor will see this as an overly rich condition and the ECU will lean out the engine when it might be burning perfectly. Please don't take this as gospel as I could be wrong and welcome any thoughts.

Spyder Eye

I can see that you dropped the radiator, did you have to remove the tank?

You will have to remove the tank to get to the air box. Doing this will help you to remove the tube that connects from the AIS solenoid to the air box.

After the tube is removed the supplied vacuum plug (comes with the smog plates) can be put on over the opening on the air box. I suggest using a vacuum clamp on the plug as the fitment is not that tight.

Removing these parts is not difficult so long as you have a guide. If you do not have the service manual it is worth every penny and Yamaha makes it easy to obtain.

YAMAHA MANUAL STORE

Also, since space is limited I recommend getting a small 1/4 Hex Drive Ratchet. It will allow you to use any hex bit as a ratchet and will make jobs like this much easier than trying to use a conventional Allen wrench. It is a 5MM Hex and you can purchase this tool and the required bit pretty much at any auto store. I happened to get mine at Sears. Plus having it will make many other jobs much easier, I recommend having one in every tool box.

Last edited:

ramrod

Nice pictures, I had a rough time with this install... Mainly because I did it late at night because I couldn't wait till the next day. +1 on Grave Motorsports, they definitely make quality products.

Guillaume

I might be wrong on this; but then again, it's a forum and the point is everyone speaks as if they knew everything right?; don't those help eliminate backfire from aftermarket exhausts? Especially the straight pipe ones?

Mrpacis

I might be wrong on this; but then again, it's a forum and the point is everyone speaks as if they knew everything right?; don't those help eliminate backfire from aftermarket exhausts? Especially the straight pipe ones?

From my research. Yes it's suppose to eliminate the popping sounds and also good for when you get a power commander.

Spyder Eye

Forgive me for being a noob here but what do these smog plates do and why should a person want them?

From Graves Website:

The air induction system (AIS) burns unburned exhaust gases by injecting fresh air (secondary air) into the exhaust port, reducing the emission of hydrocarbons.

Once these are capped off the air injection system can be safely removed. These Smog Block Off Plates are made from CNC'ed billet aluminum and feature the Graves Motorsports "G" logo. There are three reasons why you want to remove the air injection system from your bike;

1. If you are using your motorcycle on a closed course (racing, track days, etc.) you will want to remove all unnecessary equipment from your bike for reduced weight and ease of maintenance.
2. To get an accurate Air:Fuel (A/F) ratio when dynoing the bike. The air injection system pumps fresh air directly into the exhaust stream in order to burn off any unused fuel. Unfortunately by doing this the A/F ratio is thrown off by the extra "fresh air" in the exhaust stream. By removing the air injection system you can achieve an accurate A/F ratio.
3. This addition will typically remove the majority of popping on deceleration that can be experienced with un-burnt gasses within the emission charcoal chamber. Note: Proper tuning may be needed and this is general feedback.

FZER

Avid Rider

Man we do know everything!

No need for a power commander....I guess it's all the pain in my back that's making me a smart asre... Install was pretty tough it's definitely not something you want to rush through and it is time consuming. I just used a piece of 2x4 to hold my tank up.

Some tools that might come in handy
http://www.harborfreight.com/7-piece-flexible-shaft-hex-bit-driver-attachment-68514.html
http://www.harborfreight.com/6-magnetic-hex-bit-extension-68517.html
http://www.harborfreight.com/6-piece-38-drive-metric-hex-bit-socket-set-67891.html

Good thread.
http://www.779cc.org/forum/how-tos/265-smog-plates-2.html

Last edited:

jeffcali

what a major pain in the ass.

having slightly bigger hands makes this install very time consuming.

straight forward and easy, just have to be patient.

i really had a hard time unplugging the connector.

i have never had a such a hard time trying to get apart a connector before, but when i actually sat on the other side of the bike and looked at it, and then releasing that lock with a pick, it snapped apart with ease.

dummy.... :p