go pro

I got a go pro hero 3 its not the black edition its the silver ! I have never really done any video editing or have any editing programs? any advice?

JSP

Administrator
If you have windows 7 or later, Windows Movie Maker is free and works great for basic editing. Its all I use.

ssky0078

I would say that Windows Movie Maker is a good free starting point. I've only used Movie Maker so far and it get's the job done, but seems to be limited in the amount of control I really want to get to.

As you start to find it's limitations the you could consider

Sony Vegas (pro)
Adobe Creative Suite

Or if you are a Mac person I've heard people rave about Final Cut Pro.

I'm trying to switch over to Mac.

Another thing to consider is that you need to have a pretty beastily comp system setup.
Apple products were designed for video editors in mind.
Microsoft products you probably want at least a quad core processor, 8 or 16 GB of Ram, a decent 1GB or higher graphics card. And either a solid state drive or a high 7200 RPM hard drive.

My system is only half of those specs except for a I have a beast graphics card and I routinely make mistakes editing because the timing of the audio and video sequence gets all jacked up.

Paralgin

Avid Rider
I got a go pro hero 3 its not the black edition its the silver ! I have never really done any video editing or have any editing programs? any advice?

Go Pro has its own editing program. Myself im using Windows live movie maker.

you need that beastly of a computer system to do some basic go pro video editing? it would really only be for personal use keep sakes kinda thing not wanting to make dvd and reselling them just want to edit out the unwanted clips and maybe ad some music

JSP

Administrator
you need that beastly of a computer system to do some basic go pro video editing? it would really only be for personal use keep sakes kinda thing not wanting to make dvd and reselling them just want to edit out the unwanted clips and maybe ad some music

Nothing fancy. Just needs to meet GoPros system requirements. Its all in your manual. Most decent boxes meet. I have a 2 year old computer bought for $600 ish that works great. Most recent comps can handle with ease. It is the video card that you need to make sure meets/exceeds.

I am going to sound stupid here but how do I find out what kind of video card I have? I have pretty new computer it has windows 8:confused: but I don't know anything about it I can google stuff and come on the forum(isn't that all that matters?)!!!

Paralgin

Avid Rider
I am going to sound stupid here but how do I find out what kind of video card I have? I have pretty new computer it has windows 8:confused: but I don't know anything about it I can google stuff and come on the forum(isn't that all that matters?)!!!

Dont know about windows 8, but i think its just the same, right click on my computer and choose properties. i think you will find your info about your graphics card there-

ssky0078

If you can google, then google and put in your computer make & model. Then find the specifications section of the probably 120 different CNET or Gizmodo sites that list your computer, and read what you have. My favorite way to look it up is actually Best Buy's site, it is by far the easiest.

ssky0078

Dont know about windows 8, but i think its just the same, right click on my computer and choose properties. i think you will find your info about your graphics card there-

Properties often will only list the CPU, RAM and hard drive. You need to go in your graphics card manager to find out what you have. If you just have intel or AMD vision, then it's probably $hit.

Edit: let me word that not so harshly. The easiest way for a computer/laptop manufacturer is to scrimp on the graphics card. What they go to for laptops is usually use these terrible integrated graphics cards that use shared memory. It's garbage most the time for any video/graphics heavy programs. I have a 2.0 ghz dual core cpu, 4 mb DDR2 (DDR3 is better) and 1gb dedicated Graphics card. It's not enough to do a really good job with video editing. I'm looking at upgrading probably to a desktop or a macbook pro. The desktop I'll probably spend close to $8-900 and the Macbook Pro $2000. The Macbook Pro is mostly for snob factor.

Last edited:

yeah its probably shit cause I think when I bought it was only like 750 gb hard drive and maybe 8gb ram with an intel i3? I don't do much with it didn't think id need much more then that. gotta save pennies for pcv lol

ssky0078

yeah its probably shit cause I think when I bought it was only like 750 gb hard drive and maybe 8gb ram with an intel i3? I don't do much with it didn't think id need much more then that. gotta save pennies for pcv lol

The 750gb HD is good (7200 RPM drive is better than 5400 RPM), the 8 gb ram is good, the i3 is only a dual core and very limited. You'll experience some bottle necking and lag while trying to finish your videos.

yeah that's all I want to do maybe make them transition from cuts add music that's about it!! its more or less just for me and my friends to play around with and show you guys some of the stupid sh!t we see in our travels!

Paralgin

Avid Rider
yeah that's all I want to do maybe make them transition from cuts add music that's about it!! its more or less just for me and my friends to play around with and show you guys some of the stupid sh!t we see in our travels!

You`ll do just fine with your computer. Just try it out and youll find it out.
Cineform is free, windows live moviemaker is free also. Hav tried it some and it works just fine :) No need for spending alot of money on something you dont need.
But as said, you should not try to start any 3D rendering with your computer.

just finished downloading windows movie maker ... sleds not running right now so I cant go out and try some videos with that and its like -20 and a few feet of snow so I think that means the fz8 is out for a ride!! lol