FZ8 with Graves Slip-On and K&N

kjonas75

I have a new 2011 FZ8 with Graves slip-on (carbon) and K&N air filter. I have not done the airbox mod. I have 700Km on the bike.

The bike runs fine and actually starts up easier than before (stock) for some reason.

Has anyone with a similar setup needed to install PowerCommander with a new map ?

Is there an easy way to tell if it could be running too lean, without a Dyno test or checking the spark plugs ?

Is it OK to fit after market exhaust and K&N while the bike is being run in ?

Will I be able to use irridium spark plugs (so I don't have to change it every 13000 Km) ?

kjonas75

Last edited:
V

Vapordan

I have a new 2011 FZ8 with Graves slip-on (carbon) and K&N air filter. I have not done the airbox mod. I have 700Km on the bike.

The bike runs fine and actually starts up easier than before (stock) for some reason.

Has anyone needed with a similar setup needed to install PowerCommander with a new map ?

Is there an easy way to tell if it could be running too lean, without a Dyno test or checking the spark plugs ?

Is it OK to fit after market exhaust and K&N while the bike is being run in ?

Will I be able to use irridium spark plugs (so I don't have to change it every 13000 Km) ?

kjonas75

People that know nothing about tuning a bike will tell you that you only need to rejet or remap if you change exhaust pipes or make serious mod's. That is flat out wrong. All stock bikes need to be re-jetted or mapped. Bikes are designed with fuel systems that are compromised so that they can pass noise, emissions, and economy standards around the world. This, not to mention all of the different gasoline formulas available. Performance is usually the last consideration of the factory. Performance is my first consideration.[/I]

Source and technical proofs: Peter Verdone Designs - CBR600RR Powercomander and Map

Lots of good info on that page that explains lean mixtures etc.

FZER

Avid Rider
Just my two cents worth I'd go with one of the guys maps that had the bike dyno'ed even if they have done one mod different, like the guys mod and I forget the name that had a slip-on aftermarket airfilter and the ABM done. Air fuel shouldn't be off enough to be a problem.

Yeah get in touch with Jumb5150 his map should be pretty good.

Actually Crazywb23 would be the closest to your current set up. Everyone on here is very friendly and generous with maps. I have three saved in case I ever get up enough money for a PCV.

Last edited:

Fzcrusin8

So how does one save these maps? I will eventually get a PVC but currently sitting with insufficient fundalations at the moment. Is it better to run these maps or just get the auto tune?