FZ8 Riding Impressions

V

Vapordan

For those who have to buy without a test ride. Sometimes I find magazines are biased toward 20 year olds etc. etc

There's a buzz around 4500 rpm. It disappears around 5500 rpm. It is noticeable and it may/may not cause numbing. The bike is new, it may fade with age.

The bike pulls hard off the line and really doesn't let up-didn't push past 7000 rpm because of break in.

The engine inspires confidence with its power delivery. I got the impression that if an emergency situation required a sharp throttle twist, it would respond quickly even in the highe gears. In the lower gears, response is primal, raw, ugly. Buyer beware.

I would not recommend learning to ride on this bike. I really don't care who writes so. This is a dangerous bike for a beginner.

The brakes are immediate. Three is some dive on hard front breaking.

There's wind. It's noticeable as speed builds, but you already know that. That's why you are buying it. It isn't any different than a bike without a wind screen.

The engine sounds lean, not in a bad way, it's perhaps a Yamaha thing. My other Yamaha behaved the same way. The bike starts promptly when called and reaches a steady idle that doesn't hunt.

Engine is quiet with stock pipes. It doesn't ever seem to struggle even under hard acceleration.

I find the stock suspension stiffish. If the road has bumps, you'll know. But the suspension does a good job of soaking up the small ones. Big ones? Well, you know, it's not a Lexus. Bumpy corners causes some flexing of the chassis.

The bike is well put together. Aesthetically, it does not look cheap. It does not pass for a budget bike. The styling is modern and the mass forward design differentiates it from the competition.

The dashboard is intuitive, prominent but not distracting. It works well.

The seat length is noticeably short if you hover around 6 foot. However the knee position is acceptable. I have not done long rides.

The front end is solid for brisk riding. By solid, I mean that it inspires confidence. I do not race, this is solid enough for what i do.

The bike is priced just oh so right. The bike delivers exactly what I paid for. I think it's unreasonably to expect much more for that price.

The sitting position is very practical. It inspires longish rides. Around town romps and blasts on the freeway. This position may not suit a 20 year old.

These models are relatively scarce, it may help it retain it's value in the long term.

The insurance premium is very manageable front the quotes that I have gotten so far.

The Gas tank is relatively small.

Last edited by a moderator:

Zeitgeist

Can I add one thing?

...all of my female friends that I have shown my bike have responded in pretty much the same way: "That's really sexy."

Just sayin ;)

bobbyb

nice

I've been riding for 40+ years. Dirt bikes, raced MX for 25 years, back on the street now. Used to 2 strokes. This is a great bike, quick, manouverable, light. Make sure you know what you will be using your bike for.I'm adding a removable wind shield for 2 summer trips this year.
B

Black Widow

Avid Rider
If you have not gone over 6000 rpm ,and you think the bike has good acceleration up to 6000 rpm, hang on tight when you let it pull over 6000 rpm, this is when you need to reallly start to pay attention and hang on.

This is my first street bike, if you are a begginner ,this bike is perfect because it handles really easy, is nimble, and does very well at putting around ,as well as blasting thru the twisties. I got used to the bike very quickly, and just can't keep off of it.

hypo

the ergonomics will SPOIL YOU in my opinion. who would want to hump the bump in a cramped jockey position after riding the FZ8?? not me. not ever. Damn, I must be getting old. :)

Hereward

Yeah the engine will seem tame below 6k once you've nailed it through to the redline. 1st "big bike" is ok on a FZ8 as long as you have a grip on your own ability and mortality......if your 20 and think, a) You are in fact the next rossi, and b) you'll simply scuff your knee if you fall off, then the FZ8 will soon try and kill you once you descover what lies above 6k if however your reasonabley in charge of your faculties and know you won't bounce well at 50mph+ then the FZ8 is a forgiving and smotth predictable bike to learn on and then move on to the next level, unlike alot of bikes aimed at 1st time riders the FZ8 won't become boreing after 12 months.
I't's a jack of all trades but as with all things that try to do everything they don't excell at one single thing.........I'll explain. I got my FZ8 to get back into riding after many years away, this it did very well, I then use it for a blast out up in the hills, a couple of hours and a big grin on my face says it's very good at this too......of late however, I've been ventureing further afeild. I've done a couple of "day rides" one on my own, and last weekend with a group of freinds........these usualy involve around 250miles of country roads with an hour or two on the motorway to get to the ride........The FZ8 dose it but holes in it's abilities are starting to show LOL
A tourer it is not.........but thats not to say it can't be made competent in this role, now the whole naked V's screen isn't an issue, I'll happily sit there like a dog with it's head out of the car window all day. The engine too will happily sit at 75mph all day long, I changed the grips for softer ones so I have no vibrations at all, and that "rattle".....the ipod volume control solved it in the end LOL..........BUT THAT SEAT!!!!
Yes that seat is great for a few hours but after a day in the saddle it really dose make you want to set the thing on fire LOL As for pillion comfort........hmm no thanks! but hey, it's a naked street fighter not a mile eating tourer........well, thats not stricktly true, A new set of comfy seats, and a set of lugage plus a set of grab rails I recon this could be a nice lightweight tourer. OK it's not going to be an FJR or RT but once the seats sorted then the bike and engine are more than capable!
So ok I'm personaly going that way with my rideing, namely getting some touring under my belt........well once the seats sorted I will, but how dose it work on the other end of the spectrum? That of a sports bike? Not bad actualy, ok your arse isn't above your head and your knees arn't round your ears, and to that end your not suporting your entire body weight on your wrists either.......but apart from those "problems" the bike will happily blast down any road faster than is legal and can out perform most riders who sit on it ;) I'll post a vid once it hits youtube of the last run out and me and a a FJR having a bit of a blast.......and leaving one of our party for dead......he was on a Hiyabusa........well he asked for it, he turned up in a leather romper suit and a bike that didn't know if it was coming or going LOL

So after that load of inane rambeling, the FZ8 is an all rounder, and with a little "tweaking" it can be anything you want (bar an off roader, knobleys would look bad) It's not as insane as the FZ1 but that dosn't mean it's slow! and yes there are 600cc bikes with less weight and more BHP but by the time you'vew got those bikes into there power band on the rev counter your the wrong side of the legal speed limit ;) day to day driving, in trafic and out in the hills the FZ8 is hard to beat no mater what you want from a motorbike ;)

Black Widow

Avid Rider
I highly disagree that a 100hp bike is a good beginner bike in any way.

As i said, you don't need to use all the power it has to learn to ride, it is very user friendly at lower rpm and the handling makes it a great first bike for most anyone.

lyric911

As i said, you don't need to use all the power it has to learn to ride, it is very user friendly at lower rpm and the handling makes it a great first bike for most anyone.

Sure you don't have to, but if your hand slips on a 20 hp 250 and you go WOT on accident...nothing really happens. Do that on our bike and you've likely just crashed.

Starting on smaller bikes isn't (IMO) for the things you do on purpose. It's for the things you accidentally do.

Hi guys,

I'm Daz from the UK, been riding motorcycles since I was 13, now a 46 yr old born again biker since my divorce 10 years ago :), you know the story, wife, kids, divorce, child support , no money lol....

Got back into biking 2 years ago, bought a 1996 Yamaha Thundercat 600, good reintroduction bike , found it a bit revvy and it was getting tired so sold it and bought from a friend a 1999 Triumph Daytona 955i, cracking bike, very fast but the riding position was starting to upset my 46 yr old elbow , knee joints and back, neck etc.....just part exchanged it at my local Yamaha dealer for a brand spanking new FZ8 2012 model in black. Took a XJ6 diversion for a spin for about 10 miles to the dealers other branch to collect the demo FZ8 which had 95 miles on the clock ! The sun was shining and the staff introduced me to the gleaming new Yammy, I jumped on and rode off back to the dealer local to me and an hour in I was very impressed, thinking I have to have one, arrived back at the dealership, they offered me a great p/x price for my Triumph and 0% finance on the new FZ, so here I am, nearly 1000 miles in and just wanted to add my pennies worth of what I think of the bike.

Great looks, ride position is comfortable ( the main reason I wanted the bike ) and looks like a quality motorcycle. I could only take her up to 6000 revs whilst running the engine in so performance seemed a little lacklustre to start with. Took her in for her 600 mile service a week or so later and was told to take it easy up to 7000rpm until I hit around the 1000 mile mark, well, the Yamaha famous "powerband" seems to kick in around 6500rpm and the bike just takes off, my mate has a Triumph Speed Triple 1050cc which goes well and he said he struggled keeping up with me, this bike is most definitely NOT for beginners, it has a kick in it's tail and if you aint expecting it, it could cause you some grief. It does say in the Yamaha literature that the engine is based on the R1 and has loadsa grunt and torque and is not a bike for beginners.

I find the suspension slightly soft and not adjustable but it's not really a problem, handling is great in the main although heavy breaking on the front tends to cause her to rock a little. At pull away she is a little light on the front end in traffic and I tend to snake around a bit until I can get going, but all in all, £6799 for a brand new bike that looks great and has a great power range, is comfy and fun to ride, I'm certainly glad of my purchase. I did consider the FZ1 but the price was a few grand more and I couldnt really stretch my finances to meet the price tag.

I've just bought a tail tidy from ebay to lose that ugly rear tail end, also bought an aluminium radiator cover with FZ etched in the middle and some bar end micro mirrors as the stock mirrors are pretty useless, great for checking out your arms and shoulders !

Cheers guys, ride safe and I look forward to any comments on my post, all the best, Daz from Leicester in England.;)

V

Vapordan

Funny, same thing has been happening to me. :D

That doesn't happen to me at all. In fact just the opposite. I be sitting in the garage polishing and a young couple will walk by. The man is always all foamy around the mouth. But the woman's face says it all - 'OH NO YOU AINT GETTING ONE!' type of expression...Broutal

razz

Everyday riding is superb for comfort and seating postion , but when the going gets tough on rougher roads I find the suspension needs a helping hand , i have spent a bit of time with bum position and for myself , when going at full chat around the non smooth twisties , i put my bum right at the back of the seat , keep my head low and stick a bit of cheek off the seat , this for me helps stop some of the corner wobbling , when exiting a corner tho , if I dn't move back forward, she produces a cracking wheelie , this bike is brill , when moneys permit I would fit a lovely r1 front end in along with a sexy shock

Last edited:

Hereward

Everyday riding is superb for comfort and seating postion , but when the going gets tough on rougher roads I find the suspension needs a helping hand , i have spent a bit of time with bum position and for myself , when going at full chat around the non smooth twisties , i put my bum right at the back of the seat , keep my head low and stick a bit of cheek off the seat , this for me helps stop some of the corner wobbling , when exiting a corner tho , if I dn't move back forward, she produces a cracking wheelie , this bike is brill , when moneys permit I would fit a lovely r1 front end in along with a sexy shock

Yeah same here I find shifting back on the bike for long twisties really helps the bike settle into the corner and give a more progresive feel. Just a personal taste thing really, as for keeping the front down in this position........yeah when the "power band" kicks in you need to watch the front if your still sitting to the rear LOL It'll happily throw the front up at 50mph simply opening up the throtle a little too hard! I allways roll the throtle on slowly and under control (ie not simply open it full in one quick twist) but even still once you hit that majic RPM the bike just wants to go and your throtle responce needs to adapt acordingly.

When it comes to keeping the bike permanently above 7k through the twisty stuff, firstly you end up all over the gearbox keeping the engine singing and your head needs to be in sportsbike mode to keep on top of it as regards rear grip and that increased throtle responce and keeping the front planted! Yes it's only got 100bhp but it likes to throw it all into the mix along with 60ftlb of tourqe in one big lump above 7k a lot of fun if your on the ball but it will catch you out very very quickly if your not careful.............90% of the time keep it under 6k in the twisties, if you know the road well and your after a bit of a rush.............well try it but be careful as you'll soon get a new apreciation of how fast this bike can hustle!

FZER

Avid Rider
I really enjoy mine too. Great Commuter bike for me. Things I would improve. The Givi screen was just high enough to make it more enjoyable. Does it look good....Exhaust really makes it sing. I would like a new seat.

V

Vapordan

I really enjoy mine too. Great Commuter bike for me. Things I would improve. The Givi screen was just high enough to make it more enjoyable. Does it look good....Exhaust really makes it sing. I would like a new seat.

You know, maybe we should start a new thread - Things that need to be improved. Fill it up and post it to Yamaha for vNext. Nobody's done that because they didn't touch the version from 2011 to 2012. However, there's things that could be improved. That's how we add value...

hutru01

Knights of Columbus
Sure you don't have to, but if your hand slips on a 20 hp 250 and you go WOT on accident...nothing really happens. Do that on our bike and you've likely just crashed.

Starting on smaller bikes isn't (IMO) for the things you do on purpose. It's for the things you accidentally do.

I agree. The FZ8 is not a beginner bike IMO. I started on a 92 Honda CB750 and moved on to the FZ8. That was the right jump for me.

Yamacat1000

This is my first bike. Yep, I learned to ride on my FZ8... Its not my first street bike, first super sport style bike....my FIRST bike that does not have pedals. Everyone that I know told me I would die I now have 5K miles, never dropped it, crashed it or forgot to put the kickstand down. In fact I just put a new rear tire on because the stock was smoked. I realize 5k is not a ton of miles or experience but considering my first time on a motor driven cycle was the test ride, I'd say I did ok... I'd say it is an excellent beginner bike due to its well engineered center of gravity and balance, for anyone able to control and utilize the power correctly.

Last edited:
C

Camo

It's not a bad bike at all but it does lack in the suspension department if you're wanting to get a bit more serious on the twisty stuff.
My only concern is, and this may only apply to my fellow Aussies but I just saw that they are selling all new FZ8's in Sydney for $10,990 on road + free comprehensive insurance...That's a price cut of almost $4000!!
So if you were planning on getting some coin back when you wanted to upgrade, forget it.
It also points out how overpriced they were to start with...

For me, the bike is a commuter and a scratcher. It does the commuter part well straight out of the box but the mushy front end and the boat anchor on the back leave it wanting when pushed in the twisty stuff.
The bike has enough berries stock to keep up with bigger bikes in the tight stuff, providing you're pushing. But out on the straights you're going to be left behind rather quickly...though I'm sure if you wanted straight line top end, you'd not even be considering the FZ8.

For any Aussies reading this, I think this would be a perfect step up from a LAMS approved bike as it's quiet tame when you're not up it but will also give you plenty to play with once you drop a gear and twist your wrist. In saying that, there is plenty to play with for even the most avid rider on the street.

Verdict: If you're after a commuter/first big bike than you wont find anything better at the current price.

But if you've been around the block a few times and are not just commuting but looking for a bike to scratch with as well, then haggle down the price and keep enough in the bank for a new rear shock and front end internals or upgraded forks. (There are many budget options)
You'll be able to live with the power as long as you fix the suspension in my opinion.
Just keep in mind that this bike really does beg to be treated dirty, you'll end up riding the rubber off of it...and when you do, get some decent hoops for it!