FZ1 shock in FZ8

sinclap2

Lazy
Thanks Sinclap- sending him a PM now. Perfect excuse to take the 8 for a spin up the mountains- hour ride each way!

No Probs. I PM'd him too but pushed the submit button too early. Now for some reason, I can't send another to say it is all yours. I posted something on the thread on the FZ1 site though.

B

bren

Heading out to pick it up tomorrow- for free! Can't wait.

Had better give him a bottle of something!

My garage has a beam and pulley system in the roof. May come in handy while I'm on holidays!

ssky0078

I followed this thread back over from the Fz1 site. I have been asking them about improving my rear spring on my '09 Fz1. The guys there actually said getting an '06/'07 Fz1 is a better spring than the '09. Although the that may just be personal opinion as the specs are supposed to be the same. Just thought I would point that out as you guys are on the quest to find an Fz1 rear setup.

I probably won't be doing my rear setup till around July, so if the thread is still up and someone is still looking let me know.

B

bren

So it's been longer than 30 minutes. Do you have it on yet???

Nah mate, the pulley in the garage is farked! Trying to work out how to get the back wheel off the ground with no centre stand... Any suggestions?

B

bren

Here is a pic that the old owner of my fz1 shock took of my bike today. He put it on the fz1 site lol

ssky0078

What do you FZ1 guys find so bad about the stock rear?

It's too soft for the weight of the bike is what seems to be the consensus. When I check my weight and stuff on Racetech's site it comes back at 15.5 kg/mm and the stock is 12.0 kg/mm

W

WARPTH

Nah mate, the pulley in the garage is farked! Trying to work out how to get the back wheel off the ground with no centre stand... Any suggestions?

Use a car jack on the opposite side to the kick stand. My mate did it with his z1000.

Also,what fly screen is that? And how much were the radiator cowls and where from?:)

W

WARPTH

Also, is that the yamaha belly pan? It looks different to mine. Your bike looks awesome man. Love it.

B

bren

Also, is that the yamaha belly pan? It looks different to mine. Your bike looks awesome man. Love it.

Thanks mate! I'm pretty stoked with her. Just power mods now..

The belly pan is from ermax. The bug screen is a gen x screen. I can't remember if the radiator fairings were from gb moto in the uk or bestem in the US...

I found them all on ebay. Belly pan was just over 200, radiator fairings were around 160 and the screen around 150

B

bren

Time for some more up to date pics man. Different angles :)
For sure. Will fit the shock tomorrow, clean her up and snap some pics..

Started to try and fit the shock today but snapped the 14ml socket trying to undo the first nut on the linkage! Dodgy cheap tools I guess. Will go but a decent socket set tomorrow and get it done.

Man yamaha does their bolts up tight at the factory!

GarryM

I used a trolley jack under the exhaust on the opposite side to the side stand. Worked fine for me. You dont need to jack it up very high, just high enough to take the weight off the linkage. I loosened the bolts before I jacked it up. I must have been lucky because my suspension bolts weren't particularly hard to undo.

Last edited:
B

bren

Well it is in and I love it! Nice and stiff over bumps and the ass end doesn't sink when I give it a hit!

We just loosened the bolts, my mate held the handle bars, I lifted the bike by the hangers and my mate took out the old shock and slipped in the new one.

Was pretty quick and well worth it!