Fumoto Oil Drain Valve?

hutru01

Knights of Columbus
I had one of these installed on my previous car, a 2005 Subaru Legacy GT. I was considering this for the FZ8 because its so much easier to change oil with. Not to mention all the hassle sometimes with getting the oil drain plug tight enough, but not "too tight".

I guess my only concern is that the vibration from the motorcycle in general might affect it more so than a car would.

http://www.quickoildrainvalve.com

Any thoughts on this?

D

DJK1505

I dont know, I have never had an issue with my oil drain plugs. Some people have over tightened mine when I took the vehicle to someone to do the oil change, but other than that change the gasket, and hand snug. NO issues here!!!!

mikefz8

I have never had a problem with my oil drain plug because I use a torque wrench to tighten it back to specs. You should do the same and you won't have to worry about vibration or over tightening. A nice torque wrench would be offset a little by not paying for the quick drain thing you're thinking about installing. Hope that helps a little or at least a different vantage point.

hutru01

Knights of Columbus
I have never had a problem with my oil drain plug because I use a torque wrench to tighten it back to specs. You should do the same and you won't have to worry about vibration or over tightening. A nice torque wrench would be offset a little by not paying for the quick drain thing you're thinking about installing. Hope that helps a little or at least a different vantage point.

Understood completely, the drain valve makes oil changes super quick and easy. You can also use a tube to direct the oil to a pan and not have any issues with spilling it on the floor. The drain plug is like $28 bucks shipped. Not to mention, stripping the aluminum oil pan with a stainless steel screw is not a very hard thing to do.

As for vibrations, some loctite should take care of that anyway. I just wanted to see if anyone else had used one of these drain valves on a motorcycle in general.

packnrat

i have never believed this item as just more to go wrong.
as i have never striped any threads on a drain plug in my life and i have done many a drain on many a car, truck, bike, tractor, etc.

but the last truck i owned could have used this item as the factory set it up were the oil drained (and filter) onto part of the frame and then dripped down to the floor in six or eight places.:eek:

spill on isle 4.

hutru01

Knights of Columbus
but the last truck i owned could have used this item as the factory set it up were the oil drained (and filter) onto part of the frame and then dripped down to the floor in six or eight places.:eek:
spill on isle 4.

Let me guess, a ford? :)

I never had any issues at all with the oil valve on my Subaru. Oil changes were simple and done without getting oil all over my tools and floor. ;)

packnrat

Let me guess, a ford? :)

I never had any issues at all with the oil valve on my Subaru. Oil changes were simple and done without getting oil all over my tools and floor. ;)

yes, one of fords better ideals.
always put something in the way of getting the job done right.

i do not have that truck any more, have a focus now. warranty so the stealership gets to do it. cost me $$$$ but this car sits so low. i do not have a jack that can get under it anyhow.

but if i could only just get another $4grand in my pocket.

have given up on finding the bag with one million usd in it.

lothodon

Super Moderator
torque wrench everything. think about it, you only have two wheels on a bike that does "a little" over the speed limit. do you want ANYTHING coming loose?

SpunkyTheTuna

I've had those on a couple of vehicles with strangely designed oil drain locations and never had a problem with them. The lock is really quite secure in them and I can't imagine a realistic way for it to vibrate loose.

lothodon

Super Moderator
how much would you effectively lower the bike with one of these installed? (in reference to ground clearance.)

H

Hoover

I had one of these installed on my previous car, a 2005 Subaru Legacy GT. I was considering this for the FZ8 because its so much easier to change oil with. Not to mention all the hassle sometimes with getting the oil drain plug tight enough, but not "too tight".

I guess my only concern is that the vibration from the motorcycle in general might affect it more so than a car would.

http://www.quickoildrainvalve.com

Any thoughts on this?

They are becoming the norm on heavy trucks in big fleets.

Do you still have your LGT? I am shopping for an 05 LGT Wagon manual right now.
I am prepared to spend good money but only on a good one.

hutru01

Knights of Columbus
They are becoming the norm on heavy trucks in big fleets.

Do you still have your LGT? I am shopping for an 05 LGT Wagon manual right now.
I am prepared to spend good money but only on a good one.

Unfortunately, I traded it in a couple of years ago. Good luck finding a manual wagon though. Have you checked legacygt.com? That is the one I used to be on.

H

Hoover

Unfortunately, I traded it in a couple of years ago. Good luck finding a manual wagon though. Have you checked legacygt.com? That is the one I used to be on.

Every day bud!!!
They are very rare and good ones only come up once in a while. Been looking for almost 2 years for the right one. :(

Sschwar4

Put the impact away, use your fingers. I know the oil is yucky, but it won't kill you. Just kidding.

I could definitely see this on an MX bike that you change the oil after every ride, but it would be ripped off pretty quick

I don't put 4k miles on the FZ8 every weedend. Not that that would be bad, but tiring.

hutru01

Knights of Columbus
Put the impact away, use your fingers. I know the oil is yucky, but it won't kill you. Just kidding.

I could definitely see this on an MX bike that you change the oil after every ride, but it would be ripped off pretty quick

I don't put 4k miles on the FZ8 every weedend. Not that that would be bad, but tiring.

It still makes oil changes easier and zero mess. I just put the tube on and fill up an empty container with a lid. ;)

I have had this oil valve on a couple cars prior to my bike. Works wonderfully.

MikeC

Weekend Rider
It still makes oil changes easier and zero mess. I just put the tube on and fill up an empty container with a lid. ;)

I have had this oil valve on a couple cars prior to my bike. Works wonderfully.

I use fumoto valves for both my bike and car, never had a problem with oil change. No mess, no tools, I have being using them for more than 4 years.. spectacular gadget at quite a low price I think they cost $23 or sthg like that, i buy the fumoto valves at Fumoto Valve | Qwik Valve™Fumoto Valve | Qwik Valve™

These were HUGE in the s2000 community because you could reach the drain plug from the TOP of the engine bay.

I've only heard good things about this little device.

I think this would be amazing to have for the fz8! Do you know what size the Fz8 needs? I'm too lazy to check and just want to click "Buy".