FREE (or super cheap) MODS

Fazer401

I thought id share the free mods ive done, maybe I'll make someones day lol. First, get rid of the strap on the passenger seat, it makes a HUGE difference visually,MUCH cleaner...just remove seat,remove bolts holding strap then remove strap,replace bolts,done. While youre at it, if youd like a helmet holder just put a hook or eyelet or a loop of wire or even just a metal tab that'll fit through your D-rings on there and then put the nut on. Next, lets get rid of the silver heelguards, unscrew 2 allen bolts,remove guards,replace bolts,done...powdercoat or spray and replace guards if youre picky. Now, I had some annoying plasticy BUZZZZ in my front end at revs...Take off the headlight plastics, top and sides, and stick some small pieces of adhesive 1/4" weatherstripping everywhere plastic touches plastic, I put a piece around the loops that tabs go in, on the sides where they touch headlight,etc....and reassemble(feels way more tight and solid), NO BUZZ. Need to fill holes on the tail from fender elim. or fill mirror holes? Go to Lowes, get black nylon plugs in the HW section drawers, I believe 3/8", and they fit like they were made for it...diameter is EXACT.

Last edited:

shaunone

I thought about removing the passenger seat strap as well....until I lost my balance backing the bike through an overhead door and the strap was the only thing I could grab to save from dropping the bike. It held the entire weight of the bike :dropjaw:

cpatt

so that BUZZZZZ is from the front some where.. good to no that is more annoying than something smacking against your helmet when your riding!

Black Widow

Avid Rider
As well as the stuff you did, i also got rid of the silver passenger pegs to clean it up even more.

Last edited:

Hereward

How easy was it to get rid of the yam tank badges? I do prefare a minimalist look to the bike rather than riding a dayglo advert for umpteen bike companies LOL............lets not mention the "beige/gold/yellow/mustard......." FZ8 logo in the midle of the tank......whoever thought that was a "good look" needs a good talking too with a large blunt instrument.

MojoRisin

How easy was it to get rid of the yam tank badges? I do prefare a minimalist look to the bike rather than riding a dayglo advert for umpteen bike companies LOL............lets not mention the "beige/gold/yellow/mustard......." FZ8 logo in the midle of the tank......whoever thought that was a "good look" needs a good talking too with a large blunt instrument.

:D Mine was a piece of cake, I just got rear ended and when my bike hit the pavement one of the things that broke was the tank shroud where the Yamaha emblems are located. Told the shop not to bother putting them back on when they replaced it. They actually credited me $48.00 for the 2 emblems.

Fazer401

amen

+1 to that, my stickers came off immediately ('12 has em on the tail "wings"),at least they come off nice n clean. I usually use wd-40 on painted stuff to remove adhesive residue (on glossy paint it works great,no harm at all), but I was hesitant to do that on a matte finish. I never considered removing the tank badges, maybe... ive always kinda liked the tuning fork and its pretty small. The way to remove badges is to heat it up with a blowdryer or a long sit in the sun and then take a piece of fishing line and get it right under the sticky part and sloooowly work your way back and forth and seperate the sticky from the car/truck/bike. Residue will roll off with fingers or a soft rag with a little WD40. Best to do it when the vehicle is pretty new, so you dont have a "shadow" decal from sunfading.

Fazer401

As well as the stuff you did, i also got rid of the silver passenger pegs to clean it up even more.

Pegs are definitely on the list... I thought about powdercoating them but a set of black pegs are pretty cheap, idk, maybe the excuse i need to get the cheap Harbor Freight powdercoater,its like 60 or 70 bucks i think. I like the look of no pegs or hangers at all, but wouldnt you kick yourself if some hopped up drunk tranny with a set of latex thigh high boots, a brand new boob job and a freshly frosted hairdid was like "Heeeey bigboy,you got a purty mouth...yer takin me fer a riiiiide" and man oh man would you love to cuz you had 3 too many beers and your wifes waiting at home in her old holey pj's to give you crap about leaving your socks and undies on the bathroom floor, BUT instead you have to say "Sorry darlin,I sher would like to but I aint got no passenger pegs". Yeah, it looks good, but thanks anyway Im not taking any chances.

FZER

Avid Rider
By thanks I mean I like it!!!! Maybe she can ride on the tank with the feet on the frame sliders! X2 on the old holey pj's......LOL! Actually my wife is pretty hot. I definitely out kicked my coverage, plus I rocked the cradle a little. Wooo hooo for me!

Oh yeah, free mods. Some 10mm or is it 8mm carriage bolts for rear spools/rear stand lift points. Harbor Frieght has stands for the rear really cheap too. I think mine was on sale for about $25. Excellent for cleaning the chain. Just make sure you do it with the motor off. Don't go missing some digits.

Last edited:

Black Widow

Avid Rider
Pegs are definitely on the list... I thought about powdercoating them but a set of black pegs are pretty cheap, idk, maybe the excuse i need to get the cheap Harbor Freight powdercoater,its like 60 or 70 bucks i think. I like the look of no pegs or hangers at all, but wouldnt you kick yourself if some hopped up drunk tranny with a set of latex thigh high boots, a brand new boob job and a freshly frosted hairdid was like "Heeeey bigboy,you got a purty mouth...yer takin me fer a riiiiide" and man oh man would you love to cuz you had 3 too many beers and your wifes waiting at home in her old holey pj's to give you crap about leaving your socks and undies on the bathroom floor, BUT instead you have to say "Sorry darlin,I sher would like to but I aint got no passenger pegs". Yeah, it looks good, but thanks anyway Im not taking any chances.

LOL, in my dreams, where do you keep the spare helmet for this dream girl???. Doubled once on the FZ8, never again....unless, oh never mind.....

DLSGAP

Just make sure you do it with the motor off. Don't go missing some digits.

Made that mistake with my first Yamaha street bike when I was 11. Still have a scar from where I had the tip of my thumb sewn back on. NEVER AGAIN!!!