First oil change-observation

Coolslice

I just changed my oil and filter at 550 miles. I saw no evidence of metal shavings at all. I used the Rotella T6 and a Mobil filter. I was just a tad skeptical about using the same oil I use in my Dodge Diesel, but man, what a difference. I took it out for about a 150 mile ride after the oil change, and about 50 miles in, the engine really felt like it was freeing up, and the transmission shifted more smoothly almost immediately.

I have no real earth shattering info here, but have any of you experienced something similar after the first oil change?

On a side note, I'm considering making a long ride from here to Knoxville soon. The seat needs some attention for a long ride like that. I have read that Corbin doesn't have their act together with a seat for the FZ8, and Sargent doesn't list one on their website. Are there any other options?

Last edited:

lyric911

I just changed my oil and filter at 550 miles. I saw no evidence of metal shavings at all. I used the Rotella T6 and a Mobil filter. I was just a tad skeptical about using the same oil I use in my Dodge Diesel, but man, what a difference. I took it out for about a 150 mile ride after the oil change, and about 50 miles in, the engine really felt like it was freeing up, and the transmission shifted more smoothly almost immediately.

I have no real earth shattering info here, but have any of you experienced something similar after the first oil change.

On a side note, I'm considering making a long ride from here to Knoxville soon. The seat needs some attention for a long ride like that. I have read that Corbin doesn't have their act together with a seat for the FZ8, and Sargent doesn't list one on their website. Are there any other options?

Top Sellerie. FZ1 guys seem to love them. Waiting on mine to show up. The Corbin seat is comfortable. There were some early QC issues but I haven't heard of any lately.

lothodon

Super Moderator
i too did the same, went with mobil1 synthetic and shifting and engine are both noticeably smoother.

as for seats, corbin does NOT have their shit together, afraid they never will. they are not the company they used to be.

hypo

I loved my corbin seat. they messed up the front peice so I had to send it back once, but when I got it back, that seat made ALL the difference!!!

Loved using Rotella T6 as well. definitely my oil of choice. I put over 7000 miles on my bike, did 3 oil changes with it and it was smoooth as silk for me.

FZER

Avid Rider
I'm pretty sure I picked up some MPG with the shell rotella. Now there's a 1000 things that could be effecting it, but my last cruise, which I was with cruisers. Southern Cruisers Macon GA chapter. A tick over 50mpg. But you are talking 60-65 mph on back country roads and someone always slows down in the corners :mad:, but that usually means I down shift. But very happy. I'm guessing I'll be switching to a mobil or wix filter from now on. I don't know. I've had a thing against fram for years, but now they have all these "higher end" filters. Maybe for only 3000 miles it might be alright, but if they are the same price as a wix or mobil that's what I'll be using. Champion also made the supertech wally world filters. Sorry I'm beating a dead dog here.

:welcome:

specops13

I use Rotella T in both VMax's. Actually it's extremely good oil for bikes...
I'll use it in my FZ if I ever get it broken in....:depressed:

hutru01

Knights of Columbus

I have no real earth shattering info here, but have any of you experienced something similar after the first oil change?

I am right at 1,000 miles and I will be changing mine this weekend. I will be sure to post my thoughts on the butt dyno and smoother shifting.

bobbyb

Rotella

OK guys just to make it clear. This is the shell Rotella that they sell @ wal mart? What grade is it? How is yours labeled? Our bikes call for 10w-40. I'm not breakin balls, just asking. ready for the change to full synth' .
Opinions and comments welcome.
B

hypo

READ THE LABEL

YOU HAVE TO SEE: JASO MA on the certified use list to KNOW its spec'd to be used in a motorcycle.

Last edited:

JRunner

Does the Rotella come in a 10w40 or 20w40 as the bike specs require? I believe those were two of the variations approved by the specs. 5w40 wasn't.