FE install writeup/video?

va_bank

Hi All, first post here. Just got a 2012 FZ8 two days ago as a second bike for commuting. My Kawasaki Concours 14 is too big to ride into NY 40 miles each way in traffic.

Anyway, ordered sliders, center stand and Yoshimura fender eliminator. I do a lot of work on my bikes, but to this day is uncomfortable with electrical work. My question is, is there a video/write-up on how to install this? Specifically about wiring. I read the yoshi instruction online and is a bit confused about a few things, like why they are asking to disconnect the brake light etc., I'm planning to keep the stock turn signals. Maybe it will all make sense once I start doing it, but I would like to have as much information as possible upfront. I tried searching the forum, didn't find anything in HOW-TOs, maybe I'm blind.

Any help appreciated, great forum BTW.

Bagman

I think it'll be easier once you get into it. Just make sure you try to do it under the day's light, rather than a dimly lit underground apartment garage. lol. Don't ask.

Since you're keeping the stock signals, nothing will change there. The turn signals connectors are simple disconnect/connect harnesses. Sweet. The plate illumination is the only thing that changes. On the bike's side, it's a +ve and -ve bullet style connector. Simple enough. I bet Yosh's FE comes with bullet connectors already crimped on. Just plug n' play.

Word of warning - even with my OE Yamaha FE - I found that after disconnecting the bullets once, it left it kind of loose in internally. Jiggling the connected terminals would flicker the LEDs on/off. I simply grabbed my trusty electrical tape, and tape down the wire against the plug shroud of the bullet connector. Problem solved.

There's a tiny, tiny little allen-head screw holding down a little electrical-type box towards the front of the pillion trunk (closer to the battery-side) unscrew it to move around that box to gain the proper access you need to disconnect the signal and plate-light connectors and fish them out and off the bike to change it over to the Yosh FE.

va_bank

Thanks Bagman. The kit is not here yet, but yesterday I looked through the compartment under the passenger seat and was able to locate the disconnects for the signals and plate light. Should be no problem now, hopefully.

va_bank, I'm in Ridgewood. I put my Yoshi FE on last week. Let me know if you want help or just piece of mind. I can come by when you do it just for support.

va_bank

va_bank, I'm in Ridgewood. I put my Yoshi FE on last week. Let me know if you want help or just piece of mind. I can come by when you do it just for support.

Thanks Vikingminn, much appreciated. I think I have an idea on how to do this. The kit is coming today, I'll be doing it either tonight or tomorrow AM. Biggest obstacle was finding the wire connectors under the seat. Now that I have them located, it seems very straightforward.

jassilamba

Thanks Vikingminn, much appreciated. I think I have an idea on how to do this. The kit is coming today, I'll be doing it either tonight or tomorrow AM. Biggest obstacle was finding the wire connectors under the seat. Now that I have them located, it seems very straightforward.

I dont have the Yoshi one, but mine is pretty similar to that. One issue that I had was removing the stock turn signals from the fender mount on the left side (Left if you are standing behind the bike and looking forward). Since I was not going to use the factory turn signals, I just cut the connector off, the reason I did that was because there are 2 cables going through one grommet (Left turn signal, and License plate light). I as just not patient enough to fish it out, so I just cut the cable on the turn signal, and resoldered it later (in case I want to reuse).

You are gonna need a 8mm socket to remove the bolts that hold the stock fender in place.

va_bank

Well, it's done. Did it last night, took just over an hour. These tips were definitely useful. Longest task was feeding the wires back in. So for those who might look through this thread in the future:

1.) Bagman said: "There's a tiny, tiny little allen-head screw holding down a little electrical-type box towards the front of the pillion trunk (closer to the battery-side) unscrew it to move around that box to gain the proper access you need to disconnect the signal and plate-light connectors and fish them out and off the bike to change it over to the Yosh FE."

Yes. On my bike it was held by 2 allen screws. I don't see how you can disconnect or even locate the plugs for right blinker and plate light without removing it.

2.) The license plate light came with bare wires and two butt connectors to connect them to the stock wires. I did not trust the look of them at all, so I used my soldering iron and electrical tape to join them. Will invest in shrink tubing and a heat gun in the future.

This is a must do mod in my opinion. Center stand is coming today - another requirement (for me, at least)

Again, thanks for all your help!