Engine noise

D

Deleted member 438

A mechanic told me that it was fine. I think that maybe I hear more noises on this bike since there aren't any fairings to muffle all the little noises.

rail

I can't watch the video at the moment, but could this be related to the infamous "Yamaha tick"?

Or you know, judging by your description, I wonder if the fans themselves get loose while warm and stationary. I don't think it'd be something to really worry about.

disclaimer: I'm mechanically stupid.

Hi, just wondering about engine noise on the fz8? my bike starts up and sounds
nice up until it gets hot (about 96 on temp) if i then stop and re-start the engine it sounds nice for about 15-20 seconds then i can hear a loose mechanical rattling sound? (gearbox rattle?) which seems to be coming from the gear change side if i pull the clutch in it makes no difference at all? when the fans chime in the noise stops until the fans cut off? then the noise comes back. The rattle is always there on a hot engine and there are no performance issues at all, I mentioned this on my 1st service rip off! and was told the mechanic didn't notice any unusual noises. Thanks for any input

Last edited:

Sentinel

I can't watch the video at the moment, but could this be related to the infamous "Yamaha tick"?

Or you know, judging by your description, I wonder if the fans themselves get loose while warm and stationary. I don't think it'd be something to really worry about.

disclaimer: I'm mechanically stupid.

Nope, that's no "tick" ...

btw, just so you know, for one reason or the other pretty much every manufacturer get the "the ____ tick" name on the internet, and it's usually just a common engine noise such as timing chain, loose valve, or even normal fuel injection sounds they are baffled by. Basically people are ignorant and stupid when it comes to anything mechanical...

westender

fz8 rattle

Hi i have the same issue with my bike ,it has been doing it from day 1 and i am trying to get it sorted under warranty.I will let you know if they sort the problem.

westender

fz8 rattle

Hi,finaly got my bike back from the dealers without much sattisfaction.They sent the bike to Yamaha in Surry for them to diagnose the problem,but after trying numerous bikes they have decided it is a characteristic of the bike with some being louder than others.Ha Ha.So it sounds like your mechanic has the same veiw.

Wolf_Hook

Hi,finaly got my bike back from the dealers without much sattisfaction.They sent the bike to Yamaha in Surry for them to diagnose the problem,but after trying numerous bikes they have decided it is a characteristic of the bike with some being louder than others.Ha Ha.So it sounds like your mechanic has the same veiw.

My old FZ8 was silent but another one we have has the mechanical grinding or gurgling noise. Sounds like it's about to grenade but still runs fine after 6k miles. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Rossy

It still makes a rattling/loose noise when hot, then when the fans kick in it goes. So i am thinking alternator noise as when under load it stops. Engine is fine with no other issue. Anyway it's hard to hear now i have a Mivv exhaust on:)

Alex1985

Hy I am from Germany and i have the same issue with the Noise.

When the engine is Cold is Normal, when the Engine arrive about 96°C the noise starts and when the Fan starts too spin the noise Stops.

When the Fan cut off the noise came back and so on. This issue starts about 14 Days ago with about 3000 km +- yet i have 3600 km.

I think it is the Generator how make the Noise. Is exactly the same as Rossy`s Problem !

Rossy have you a Tipp ore have you found a way too Stop this problem ???

greetings from germany :)

Last edited:

Nemo

Hi, just wondering about engine noise on the fz8? my bike starts up and sounds
nice up until it gets hot (about 96 on temp) if i then stop and re-start the engine it sounds nice for about 15-20 seconds then i can hear a loose mechanical rattling sound? (gearbox rattle?) which seems to be coming from the gear change side if i pull the clutch in it makes no difference at all? when the fans chime in the noise stops until the fans cut off? then the noise comes back. The rattle is always there on a hot engine and there are no performance issues at all, I mentioned this on my 1st service rip off! and was told the mechanic didn't notice any unusual noises. Thanks for any input
Hi i know this tread is old but i have the exact same sound as you.. Well i think so since i am not able to listen at the video anymore... Do you found anything?? Do you still have the bike?? Is it still riding well??? Let me knoww!! Im conserned since i have this too !!!

Envoyé de mon LG-D852G en utilisant Tapatalk

Alex1985

I think this noise is normal !? I have 15.000 +- km on my FZ8 and no Problems with the Engine and Power Delivery and so on. Its a Yamaha Tick its how the Engine runs. No to worry about.

Gem rod

Last edited:

Blackfin

Uploaded for sound comparison.

Here is my bike. New plugs and air filter just fitted. Oil has been in for 1700 miles. Bike is 2012 with stock exhaust. Never thrashed but does regular high speed cruising.

Slightly off topic but I love those upper corner running lights in your headlights. My Canadian Fazer lacks them and I want them sooo bad. :) Will have to start investigating...

tocuarzo

I think I have a theory about where this noise is coming from. Im posting this because Im pretty sure that everyone that looks for info about this noise ends up in this post. I bought the Fazer 8 recently and have the exact same noise (which bothers me quite a lot btw), and after a bit of research here and there, Im sure at 99,9% that the noise is coming from all the gearing system that drives the magnetic rotor, the starter clutch and that stuff, and it just happens to coincide with all that thing that when the fans kicks in, noise goes away a bit, as the stator apply resistance to all the gearing induced by the electric load the fans are making. And its seems reasonable to me as well, that when the engine is cold, the oil is thicker, and it can damp the noise till it gets hot.