Engine noise

Rossy

Hi, just wondering about engine noise on the fz8? my bike starts up and sounds
nice up until it gets hot (about 96 on temp) if i then stop and re-start the engine it sounds nice for about 15-20 seconds then i can hear a loose mechanical rattling sound? (gearbox rattle?) which seems to be coming from the gear change side if i pull the clutch in it makes no difference at all? when the fans chime in the noise stops until the fans cut off? then the noise comes back. The rattle is always there on a hot engine and there are no performance issues at all, I mentioned this on my 1st service rip off! and was told the mechanic didn't notice any unusual noises. Thanks for any input

RoadKill

hmm. i can hear the rattling of the clutch basket when in neutral until i pull the clutch(disengage). there are maybe valve noises too but those dont go away when the fan comes on.

kuwaiyert

nice up until it gets hot (about 96 on temp) if i then stop and re-start the engine it sounds nice for about 15-20 seconds then i can hear a loose mechanical rattling sound? (gearbox rattle?) which seems to be coming from the gear change side if i pull the clutch in it makes no difference at all? when the fans chime in the noise stops until the fans cut off? then the noise comes back. The rattle is always there on a hot engine and there are no performance issues at all, I mentioned this on my 1st service rip off! and was told the mechanic didn't notice any unusual noises. Thanks for any input

Well i had mine when engine break in.. Start my bike idle and when clutch in it gives out quite loud rattling sound like dry clutch... But happen only once at 120miles.. Off n on back the bike, clutch in still have.. Put to gear 1 n back to neutral n play wif the clutch a few time n back to normal.. After tat till Now at 1300 miles seems no prob..

But still gives out rattling noise at times... Went back to my yammy agent the mech say its normal but he advised if i feel different like starting up or jumpy idling or anything then they will open up the engine.. But so far so good..

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Xparent ICS Tapatalk 2

D

DJK1505

Have you look at your radiator mounts? Maybe the radiator hoses when cold are holding the radiator in place, then are heating up, and once they are nice and warm (loose) they allow the radiator to rattle around because the bolts holding it in, are not tight. Or fan mounts, kinda wierd it only does it when hot and fans are not on.

DJ

D

DJK1505

Or your water pump, the t-stat is closed until at temp, then the coolant flows until below temp. So while closed its holding pressure on your water pump and its not rattling, but when open your water pump is working and a bearing could be bad. Just throwing ideas out there for ya man. Your water pump will usually leak before your bearings go bad, but that's not always a guarantee.

V

Vapordan

You know Rossy, I swear you described what I was hearing down to the T. I didn't want to post it here because I'm not sure if I caused it myself. When the bike was new I let it idle for 20 minutes and cut off automatically because I wanted to check out the automatic cut-off. And the noise started soon after. When I hear the noise, the fan will come on shortly after. You must be around bikes a lot because not many people pick up that noise even when I point it out to them. No probs on the bike otherwise.

Rossy

Thanks for all the info and ideas guys, what i have done is gone out tonight warmed the engine up and put a video up on YouTube. It will give a better idea of what i mean, you can skip to 1:40 when the fan starts and goes off 2:39 the noise will come back, if i rev it slightly the noise fades a little? Hears hoping it is just me being paranoid.

Vapordan I don't think you could have damaged your bike by leaving it ticking over for 20 minutes.

FZ8 ENGINE NOISE. - YouTube

Last edited:

Larry P

Rossy you are not paranoid! Mine does the *same* thing. I have a huge peeve for a smooth quiet motor and honestly this motor annoys me to no end with that rattle. I have yet to start inspecting under the tank (busy busy) and try to locate the precise source. I have a feeling this may be by design and the engineers were okay with it. Maybe it was a fix for an idling issue or who knows. I will flood the forums with posts if I figure out what it is, and I hope you guys do the same!

D

Deleted member 438

Mine has a rattle coming from the left. At first I thought it was the cam chain tensioned, but once I realized it was coming from the left I figured it had to be something else. I kinda started thinking it was the valves, but now I have no idea.

W

WARPTH

Mine doesnt do that but ive got less than 1000kms on it and prob wouldnt hear it over the danmoto pipe anyway lol

V

Vapordan

Anybody got an inside to one of those Yamaha engineers, or a good mechanic willing to take a listen? That's a good vid rossy. Captured that noise spot on.

D

DJK1505

So when there is an electrical draw it gets quiet, and then back up once the draw stops. I would start looking at loose connectors, wires that look like they have burn marks on them, possibly in the charging system. Doesnt sound horrible to me, but I would def take a weekend to remove the tank and start troubleshooting.

DJ

RoadKill

Correction: mine sounds like that until it warms up a little. I will post a video for comparison tomorrow sometime. I dropped by the dealer today and they said everything sounded perfect.

Rossy

So sorry guys for bringing this noise issue up.I thought it was just my bike that had the rattle problem but it seem quite a few have this. Been looking at schematics of the engine and as DJK1505 said to look at the electrics?, so could it be the generator making the noise? and as the fans kick in its under load so the noise stops, Do all your noises stop when the fans kick in? if YES then it could be just a Noisy generator.

Sentinel

Try this....

Get yourself a nice long Flathead screwdriver. Press the end of the blade onto one engine piece/area bolt after another, and each time while holding pressure against the bolt, place your ear onto the end of the screwdriver handle.

This is an old mechanics trick to help pinpoint where a sound is originating from, and it may help you to hone in on a may specific area of interest.

Please post back if you try this with the results.

Rossy

Not much :) still rattles like hell, been to the dealers and saw the main mechanic and he said they all make different noises and i should just ride it. But if i had any problems with the running of the bike bring it back. 1000 miles and rattling along.............
p.s Thanks for the screwdriver trick, but could not find the rattle!