Dr. Doom vs. Turbojoe

Keach

I have a turbo Joe ecu and love it. Dr doom now runs a turbojoe ecu and tracks his fz8. I think all would agree ecu tuning is superior to what you can do with a fuel controller.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9 Lives

I have a turbo Joe ecu and love it. Dr doom now runs a turbojoe ecu and tracks his fz8. I think all would agree ecu tuning is superior to what you can do with a fuel controller.

Nope don't agree at all.

Things that ECU flashing can do that PCV or other fuel controllers can't. When I say ECU flashing I mean when your remove it, send it out have it flashed then reinstall it, Not ECU flashing done on a dyno.

1. Adjust the temp that your fans start.
2. Adjust your rev limiter (your HP and torque drop off at 10,500) not sure why you would want it to rev past 11,500

Things that the PCV can do that ECU flashing cannot

1. Switch fuel maps on the fly, add a switch on your handlebars and you can switch between 2 maps on the fly. ie one for max power and one for fuel economy
2. Different fuel maps for each gear. ie you want 1-4 max power and 5-6 fuel economy
3. Engine load based fuel maps using your MAP sensor (much more accurate)
4. Auto tune which is a add on and costs more $$. Set the AFs you want and let the PCV and Auto tune do the tuning for you while you ride.
5. Data logging with yet another add on, lets you see your AFs while you ride without using a dyno

Other things to consider

When you have your ECU flashed it is loaded with a few map tuned with a bike that has basically the same mods. It was not tuned using your bike. It might have been made by the best tuner in the world but it was not made with your bike on the dyno.

The same thing goes for the PVC when you use a downloaded map from the dynojet site or on the forum ect.

The difference is you can take your bike to a tuning center and have it dyno tuned using the PCV or some centers will flash the ecu. This is going to be the best tune for your bike

The PCV (with ignition module, more$$) and ECU flash can also adjust spark timing but so far no gains have been made by adjusting the timing curve on this bike.

Last edited:

Keach

Well I shouldnt have said everyone will agree. You'll always find someone lol.

All I can really say is that I couldn't be happier with my turbojoe ecu tune. The vast majority of people that have had both fuel tuners and a flash have preferred the flash.

the best thing would be to flash and then use a fuel tuner on a dyno to get everything as close to perfect as possible, but for the minimal performance gain you get from that I doubt it's worth it. But to each their own.

Mikz86ta

Power commander v...PCV. is about $250. Basic tunes on their website are free and u can find some freebie downloads for some custom tunes. Or pay for a dyno time and tune more if u..or..the dyno guy know WTF to do :)
I think it's about $200ish most places to get your ECM flashed

Keach

How much does each cost?

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk

You could send turbojoe a message. I can't remember anymore, but I know his prices went up because he now has to register your ecu with flashtune for the licensing which is 100 bucks, then whatever joe charges for the flash plus shipping. It really is money well spent. I'll be flashing my car in a few weeks. With a 45 hp/ 50tq gains, the car might not be such a turd.

You could also look into flash tune directly or Guhls. Most people that had multiple ecu tunes liked turbo joe best. He develops tunes for a living and owned an fz8.

Rhyno54

Considering getting another FZ8 but a 2013 model and fully modding it, full system, air filter, suspension upgrade, brakes, R6 throttle tube then have Turbo Joe reflash my ECU, he has a map for the full graves exhaust system with an air filter and that's the exhaust system i'm planning on putting on the bike. When i talked to him a few weeks ago he said he was able to get 109hp/62trq at the wheel with those mods and still has the map for it. So that's what i'll be going with

jerek.see

how much does the flash cost from turbo joe? How do I get in touch with him?

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk

Rhyno54

The cost is $300.00 and he is located in SoCal, you can google him, his business is Turbo Joe Tuned he's also on facebook under Josef Solty's