Don't Install a Larger Aftermarket Horn in the Stock Location

hutru01

Knights of Columbus
Do Not Install a Larger Aftermarket Horn in the Stock Location

Unfortunately, I have learned this the hard way. I installed a Stebel Nautilus horn as seen in the picture below.

I even installed it horizontally as to leave some room between the bottom of the horn and the fender.

Last weekend, I ran over a pothole that compressed my front springs hard enough to slam the bottom of the horn down onto the front fender, creating a 3 inch crack in the top of my froint fender. I am either going to have to get the fender repaired or replace it with a carbon fiber one. I am not sure which would be more cost effective yet.

Anyhow, just a word of caution to anyone who wishes to replace the stock horn (in the stock location). A stiffer front shock might have prevented this as well, but I cannot verify that.

If anyone has any experience with having a front fender repaired, please let me know.

Last edited:
D

DJK1505

Man that sucks! Keep your eye out on ebay, I have seen a few plastic pieces for our bikes on there, and pretty cheap as well.

Sorry to hear about that!

DJ

hutru01

Knights of Columbus
Man that sucks! Keep your eye out on ebay, I have seen a few plastic pieces for our bikes on there, and pretty cheap as well.

Sorry to hear about that!

DJ

Yeah I found a black painted 2002-2008 R1 front fender on ebay for $60 bucks. According to part numbers, it is supposed to fit. I am going to get an estimate on what it will cost to repair and go from there.

D

DJK1505

60 bucks :eek:, sounds like its time to just replace the front end with an R1 front! LOL

60 aint so bad, color matched or you gotta get it painted?

H

Hoover

Hutru, do you remember me mentioning your horn placement a few months back?
I mounted mine to the front brake splitter bolt once I switched out my lines.
Do you think that would have helped you?

C

calscrazy

horn :confused: ............hmmmmm...... oh! thats what that button does! :D i just use the horn located on my hand three digits from the left or right! if you really screw me up and put my life in some danger you get the blow by followed by a bouncing lug nut into your grille, headlamp, windshield, hood.

LIKE A DUMP TRUCK I CANNOT BE RESPONSIBLE FOR ITEMS THAT MAY FALL OFF MY BIKE!

Sschwar4

horn :confused: ............hmmmmm...... oh! thats what that button does! :D i just use the horn located on my hand three digits from the left or right! if you really screw me up and put my life in some danger you get the blow by followed by a bouncing lug nut into your grille, headlamp, windshield, hood.

Do you have the caution label that states that? Lol.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

lothodon

Super Moderator
The black fender on eBay will not be a perfect match of course, as our FZ8's are highly gold flecked and there wasn't ever an R1 of that color. I'd be willing to bet you'd be happy enough with it due to the price though. $60 isn't bad imo.

D

DJK1505

hahahahhahaha thats classic!

hutru01

Knights of Columbus
Hutru, do you remember me mentioning your horn placement a few months back?
I mounted mine to the front brake splitter bolt once I switched out my lines.
Do you think that would have helped you?

I do remember Hoover and I did mount it horizontally (instead of vertically) but the one I have is just too big. I think I am just gonna go back to stock. :)

hutru01

Knights of Columbus
The black fender on eBay will not be a perfect match of course, as our FZ8's are highly gold flecked and there wasn't ever an R1 of that color. I'd be willing to bet you'd be happy enough with it due to the price though. $60 isn't bad imo.

I was not aware of the gold flaking. That is food for thought. I had thought about going carbon fiber, but its so expensive. I am going to get an estimate on fixing the crack first before I order anything.

D

Deleted member 438

I was not aware of the gold flaking. That is food for thought. I had thought about going carbon fiber, but its so expensive. I am going to get an estimate on fixing the crack first before I order anything.

I don't think you'll be able to tell that difference in color between the fender and the rest of the bike because its not like you'll have two pieces that are touching that will create a contrast. Since I have a CF front fender I was thinking of painting my stock fender satin black just to see how it would look on our bike.

K-Gr.

If anyone has any experience with having a front fender repaired, please let me know.

I will have, soon. Recently i forgot to take my disk lock, so i took off part of my fender. Good I was just turning the bike around in my garage and not just took off :)

hutru01

Knights of Columbus
I don't think you'll be able to tell that difference in color between the fender and the rest of the bike because its not like you'll have two pieces that are touching that will create a contrast. Since I have a CF front fender I was thinking of painting my stock fender satin black just to see how it would look on our bike.

Where did you get your CF front fender? I have found a couple places online, but curious as to what I should expect to pay.

hutru01

Knights of Columbus
Here is another option......

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/2004-2005-Yamaha-Fender-Fairing-Unpainted/dp/B007AJ9TTC]Amazon.com: 2004-2005 Yamaha YZF R1 Front Fender Fairing Cowl Unpainted White: Automotive[/ame]

I mean $29.99, you can't beat that. A replacement through Yamaha is like $90 bucks unpainted.

hutru01

Knights of Columbus
The replacement is on order. I will have a front fender with a 3 inch crack in the middle available soon, if someone wants to purchase it for a cheap price.

I am thinking of a custom paint job for the unpainted front fender that I ordered. Black metallic with some sort of gold design on the front (something very subtle, maybe a yamaha symbol, who knows)......

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 438

Where did you get your CF front fender? I have found a couple places online, but curious as to what I should expect to pay.

I picked up an eBay cheapie front fender, and I really don't remember what I payed. I'm guessing about 120 to 150.