Danmoto Billet rear sets

C

Camo

Im at the stage where my wife is telling me no more lol..

But i think i can scam a Juice Box out of her soon. that will do me then. lol

(until i find something else i like heheh)
I want a track bike and I've said I'll be a good boy and save my pennies but then I think, just the rear sets... and then I see the thread with the integrated gear indicator and I'm sure they'll be the last two things I do lol.
Lucky for me, my wife just rolls her eyes and takes a deep breath....I can hear her mind saying "fuck it'd be cheaper if he was a drug addict or a drunk" :D

jumb5150

just got mine in today. They could've package it a bit better and the anno is just ok on it. And maybe having better instructions would make this easier for I cannot figure out what to do with the spacers.

Jwood9

4 of the spacers that are the same go between the rearsets and the frame, then e rest connect to the shift linkage arm on both ends. I also got the rearsets and I was slightly disappointed in the anodizing on the peg.

The only issue I had was installing the heel guard on the shift side. I had to install spacers and longer bolts because the shift lever was rubbing against the inside of the heel guard. Anyone else have this issue?

jumb5150

4 of the spacers that are the same go between the rearsets and the frame, then e rest connect to the shift linkage arm on both ends. I also got the rearsets and I was slightly disappointed in the anodizing on the peg.

The only issue I had was installing the heel guard on the shift side. I had to install spacers and longer bolts because the shift lever was rubbing against the inside of the heel guard. Anyone else have this issue?

Yep I do! had to do the exact same thing.

ARS

I have already installed the silver rearsets.
I think that they have nothing to envy from expensive rearsets. I believe that fully deserve their money. I like the view and they are beautiful.:)
Course took some operations such as some washers, and the opening in depth and width of a hole on the right rearset because the existing screw had small length and width and was not sufficient to hold the brake peg.:cool:

ARS

I had the same problem but i fixed with some spacers. Look Costing only 125 usd. I think the anodizing is very good for that money (i have the silver).
The final result of functionality i think is very good! With the interventions i did now i don't have any problem (yet).

B

bren

My dan moto rear sets (black) turned up today! Ordered them on Wednesday last week and they got here today(Monday). Talk about great service!

So do all the current dan moto rearset owners think they were not to hard to fit?

I think this may be a Saturday job for me... Lol.

Did everyone locktite their nuts and bolts?

Jwood9

My dan moto rear sets (black) turned up today! Ordered them on Wednesday last week and they got here today(Monday). Talk about great service!

So do all the current dan moto rearset owners think they were not to hard to fit?

I think this may be a Saturday job for me... Lol.

Did everyone locktite their nuts and bolts?

It is a saturday job for me it took just sizing everything and getting spacers ready then loctite it all and throw them on.

The shift side might need some adjustment to get the heel guard right but its not bad...

B

bren

It is a saturday job for me it took just sizing everything and getting spacers ready then loctite it all and throw them on.

The shift side might need some adjustment to get the heel guard right but its not bad...

Thanks mate- need to remember the loctite!

B

bren

anyone got any preferred shit positions for the placement of the feet?

Jubby

I got the rear sets installed and tested today. Overall impressions, well worth the money. They are very solid with pretty good machining. The heel guards are a little thin and flimsy, but I'm sure they won't break because they are real carbon fiber. They come shipped almost completely assembled, but I strongly recommend adding blue thread lock to all the screws. Danmoto does not use thread lock during assembly, I had my shift lever peg come loose while riding. And they have a solid mount to the frame, unlike the stock rear sets which have rubber bushings, so they are subject to a lot more vibration. I did notice that right away, compared to stock, you can feel the bike a lot more through the pegs. But they look and feel great.

I have mine set forward and down, which
put them right at stock location. You can adjust them back and up 20mm from the stock location. They also come with a rear brake light switch mounting bracket and spring.

Here are some comparison pics:

I did make a modification to the shift lever. DanMoto designed these rear sets so that the shift linkage arm goes outside of the frame. I decided to drill and tap a new hole in the shift lever so I could run the linkage arm through the frame hole. I think it looks a lot better and is really easy to do. The linkage arm is suppose to mount outside of the shift lever. But after adding this new mounting hole, I could mount the linkage arm on the inside of the lever and right through the frame hole. I just needed a shorter M6 screw and a washer for a spacer. Here are more pics of the mod:

Been scratching my head for an hopur wondering if im missing bits.. Thank god for this thread was about to go on a a war path direct to china.

Thanks for thge putting this up. Love this site.

Currently fitting a XG - 1 DM OMG very loud don't even think it will pass the track police....

Jubby

DAN MOTO REAR SETS

To all who wish to save a few dollars on the DM rear Sets here is a story before you commit,

I recently bought 2 sets of these and on arrival the first set shift rod was snapped no big deal rough journey maybe didn't come over on the happy boat. Took pictures and sent back waitintg on a new item.

View attachment 5329

Good one above

Damaged below.

View attachment 5330.

This might have been a sign to stop there. But no being the master of cheap deals and not learning my lesson i pushed forward. The new dan moto shifter rod is made out of alloy and the OEM yamaha part is made out steel, well i kinda expected this. what i did not expect is what was about to come...... This item should never be sold as compatablie with FZ 8 N 2013 because it is not. No matter what setting i tried i could not get the shifter rod to line up with the mounting holes on the footpeg side. after 2 hours of messing and finally giving up and thinking i must be missing something i jumped on Forum and found this was common okay sweet now i am stuck with decision to cash in an send back or customise a custom part that was suppose to fit the straight on. I had already done the easier side first (rear brke side) and was not going to take it back off. Okay time to drill and tap a new hole in the peg side to allow mounting of shifter rod now i defo cannot take back. All good took all of 10mins to do with the soft alloy. on it went on the highest setting for maximun clearence.

View attachment 5331View attachment 5332

As you can see the original screw holes are so far away it was never going to work with the shifter rod going through the frame and didn't like the look of having it on huge spacers to have it on the outside of the frame.

Took bike for ride and gearing was a dog not right rubbing and not changing properly. Okay i am not going to get the highest setting as the alloy was still rubbing on the inside of the frame. Propbably could have bent the alloy rod and hid it inside the frame but i do not like the idea of bending this quality material - the one that was snapped on delivery scared me off that idea. Okay then off it came for another hole a little higher up. Put bike back together and gavie it a work out on the road. Lasted a couple of laps of neigbour hood then the below happened. I do not think the rod was bent as when i screwed it all up there was no pressure at all and it lined up great. There was still a bit of rub on the inside of the frame however the yamaha frame was always going to win this battle and the alloy rod would just rub away to suit it in time.

View attachment 5333

Now i have a snapped shifter rod which is a custom - custom part and through my own morales as it was not installed as designed cannot send it back. okay time to lath the part with a file and put a new thread on it (M6).

yes its rough but not bad with a file and tap.

View attachment 5334View attachment 5335View attachment 5336

After that beautiful bit of craftsmanship i have discovered the part is too small due to loss in length and the amount of adjustment on the one end is not enough to use the hole i have alraedy made on the foot peg side - got to be kiddingb me!!!!!!! F 'this lets have a crack a putting the steel yamaha one back on with the dan moto rear set. Please note i did try this first but it cannot be done as the pressed ball bearing which connected to the original yamaha rear peg is pressed and is not removable. no worries use the dan moto bearing --- errrrrr nope cannot do because the yamaha thread is cack handed (reverse thread) again you have got to be kidding this is just a piece of bar with two ends how hard can it be for a part that is supposely made for our bikes... BEER TIME NOW or maybe 3rd!!!!!!

The below shows the pressed ball bearing joint which is not removabe and has a reverse thread

View attachment 5337View attachment 5338View attachment 5339

If this could have been removed then i could have straight away used the original yamaha rod. as i have said above the dan moto threads for both ball joints are normal thread so i could not use on the yamaha rod...

But wait what if a change the thread on the yamaha rod surely this is too stupid to work... well nothing gained nothing lost i cannot use at the minute anyway if this doesn't work i will have to fab a piece up somewhere. I went back into into the garage and pulled the file back out and began roughing up the reverse thread side of the yamaha rod so i could use the dan moto ball joint supplied. it started to work the tap was cutting a new normal M6 thread.... i kept going and bingo.... yes the tread is not the tightest but that is why we have lock tight right?? and with a nut locking against it no worries problem solved.. yes i do not have adjustment unless i remove one ball joint and rotate the rod no big deal the bike is new and will not need adjustment any time soon.

The result below finally a 1 hour max job knocked out in a day WTF.

View attachment 5340

good news is for my dad and his FZ1 is that my bike has been one hell of a guinea pig and his will look great and be installed in a heartbeat. Dad if your reading the next part we decied to buy will be going on your bike first..

All in all a great part for the price feels solid and will last. i just could not justify spending the money for the vortexs or the like - lucky my labour is free. I feel Dan Moto are doing there best between quality and price the other guys are stone cold ripping us off. The part should come with instructions or at least a hole in the correct position for our bikes for the less mechanical minded out there. the part came very quickly from China within 7 days and was all there.. customer support replied staright away about the fault.

There is one slight drama with a bit of flex happening on the brake side this is just from the desing but unless yoyur stomping your rear brake (mid Wheelie) not really going to upset you too much.

I have got what i wanted a cheap rear set to give me extra clearence for track days and harder road rides. Yes i will buy again and yes i will recommend. People you always get what you pay for and be expected to use your hands. once installed you will be happy and the steel yamaha rod is a much better componement than the alloy supplied.

On another note also bought and installed the XG - 1 dan moto exhaust. have not done any other mods as yet (k an N, air box mod, blank plate, cat removal or sensor bung) but can notice a difference in power through thr mid range. The exhaust sounds amazing deep and throaty if your into that... may get a wee bit annoying on long rides but i do not do too many so i am very happy with the exhaust fitment is soo easy. just be prepare to lose some love from the neighbours.