Cold Weather Gear

RoMav

Any suggestions on cold weather gear? It doesn't get frigid around here so I still plan on riding to work when I can. I'm mainly interested in gloves. getting in the low 50's in the a.m. and starting to feel it after a few minutes at 50 mph plus.

lothodon

Super Moderator
low 50's?!?!?!!?

my morning ride is typically in the low 30's this time of year. i have a gauntlet style (think racing) pair of gloves that are far warmer than my "summer" gloves, but my fingers still get cold. have you considered the yamaha heated grips?

for a jacket i have a nice leather jacket with a liner for warmth. in wisconsin, you ride when you can, heat/cold/rain/snow...cuz that's a daily occurance here.

hypo

I rode year round in Virginia. leather or thickness up top with a full sleave insulated lining and I wore chaps (on my cruiser) and now some AGV sporties down below. As far as gloves I usually go with a leather outer and a silk liner glove. my commute was about 20-30 minutes, and my hands were chilly, but not shaking cold. A guy I rode with had those hippo hands Motorcycle Hippo Hands, Handlebar Muffs and he swore by them. he wore regular gloves and the hippo hands kept the cold and blistery winds off his digits. they look kinda silly, but damn if my hands stay warm, I wasn't going to argue with him.

djcecil

surprisingly i have found cycle gear's bilt stuff on sale is a way good purchace. their waterproof winter glove are very warm, i got a jacket from them with a removable liner and am very happy with it. the mesh joe rocket w/ rain liner is too sweaty so i needed something else and 129 for something keeping water and wind out was easy to spend. the waterproof boots also excellent fit and feel. plan on grabbing the outerpants next week. seems all the labels show all this stuff is made in pakistan and then a name brand gets sewn on so if fit and feel and function work, i don't care who's name i wear. so far all i have disliked from them is their gloves with the exception of these insulated ones.

C

Camo

I wear glove inners similar to these-
Fieldsheer Glove Liners - Street Bike - Motorcycle Superstore

You lose a small amount of feel but nowhere near as much as wearing full thermal gloves.
They do the trick in the cold for me.
I also reckon dishwashing gloves under your regular gloves in the rain is a cheap alternative and they take up no room in a bag or under the seat.

lothodon

Super Moderator
those are nice, but the issue i'd have is i already wear an xxxl glove. as hard as they already are to get on my hands i couldn't imagine trying to get them over another glove as well.

hypo

I don't feel them... super thin. kinda "lubricates" your hand into the leather gloves.

but velcro definitely grabs hold of em.

C

Camo

I've got big hands myself but like Hypo said, your gloves slide right on and the inners seem to take up next to no extra space.
They rip or tear easily is the only pitfall I've found.

Zedderate

Mornigs here in Adelaide (Au) can be about 5 deg C for winter commutes. I use RST Pro series gauntlet style winter textile gloves. They are toasty warm and waterproof. However, they are a bit on the thick side and take a little getting used to for operating switches.

hypo

This morning was the first day I left for work and it was 36 F / (2 C) outside. QUITE BRISK at 85mph. :) Luckily the traffic wasn't too bad so I only started feelin it about 5 minutes from the gate and my clutch hand was hatin me. Need to upgrade my gloves this year I think... and fix that draft that runs down my sleeve.

gonna try these guys out first: Fly Racing Aurora Gloves - Snow - Motorcycle Superstore

ZIA_Zen

I am a commuter in Albuquerque New Mexico. We are a mile high in elevation, similar to Denver, so the night/morning temps are frigid. We aren't even close to cold yet with the current morning temps in the mid to upper 30s(F).

I recently purchased The ICON Patrol Jacket and Gloves from Revzilla.com. Both items are water/windproof and are keeping me toasty warm so far. Similar to Hypo, I have a 20 mile, one way, ride to work on the Interstate. 85mph+ at twighlight. The Patrol gloves are very warm and not too bulky. Although pricey, I would highly recommend both items.

Icon Patrol Waterproof Jacket - RevZilla

Icon Patrol Waterproof Gloves - RevZilla

Revzilla has video reviews on both items and I will be posting my reviews on the website soon.

NYC_fz8

I am a commuter in Albuquerque New Mexico. We are a mile high in elevation, similar to Denver, so the night/morning temps are frigid. We aren't even close to cold yet with the current morning temps in the mid to upper 30s(F).

I recently purchased The ICON Patrol Jacket and Gloves from Revzilla.com. Both items are water/windproof and are keeping me toasty warm so far. Similar to Hypo, I have a 20 mile, one way, ride to work on the Interstate. 85mph+ at twighlight. The Patrol gloves are very warm and not too bulky. Although pricey, I would highly recommend both items.

Icon Patrol Waterproof Jacket - RevZilla

Icon Patrol Waterproof Gloves - RevZilla

Revzilla has video reviews on both items and I will be posting my reviews on the website soon.

I second this, I have the patrol jacket, patrol gloves, and patrol pants (which I wear over jeans) myself. I'm riding around here in 14 - 20 degree weather..
Also a thumbs up on the armor: I lowsided a few weeks ago at ~30mph, and although I now have a ~2inch diameter hole in my jacket's left sleeve and it looks rather rough on the whole left side I wasn't hurt at all.

aj700

Any suggestion for a very good lining inside gloves when temp is close to zero? in Farenheit it will be close to 30. We got clear skies now, but temp is so and so.
I already have like 3 gloves. :confused: don't want to add any more. thats why I am looking for lining. I bought a wool lining and it turned out crap. today Iam gonna check with skiing equip stores.
/Aj

Last edited:

DLSGAP

I think I got old... My cold weather gear is my Nissan Pathfinder

Sent from my S3 using Tapatalk

dart1963

Super Moderator
Any suggestion for a very good lining inside gloves when temp is close to zero? in Farenheit it will be close to 30. We got clear skies now, but temp is so and so.
I already have like 3 gloves. :confused: don't want to add any more. thats why I am looking for lining. I bought a wool lining and it turned out crap. today Iam gonna check with skiing equip stores.
/Aj

I tried several... best, but still only for a short bit, are the latex mechanics gloves... blocks the wind and keeps some heat in... can pick them up at any auto parts store, keep a few spares for when temps drop unexpectadly.

JSP

Administrator
Have to throw another plug in for Heated hand grips! They make a world of a difference! Had them on my 6R and now have them on my Bandit. They make the cold so much more bearable. When your fingers and hands get warm, it helps the rest of your body get warm. So nice!

Other than that, I do not have much of any cold riding gear. I wear layers under my jacket (rain gear makes awesome cold weather stuff as it blocks the wind by nature). I wear a balaclava as well. Pull over riding pants with thermals under them and the rain liner in.

You can have all the layers you want, but that cold wind will find its way through them. Waterproof rain gear added in there makes a huge difference.