cold starts

F

Fazed

Now my bike is affected my this problem. The only change is the weather is getting warmer during the day but night temps have been the same and I filled up from a different place. I'm going to drain this tank close to empty before filling up next to see if it's a fuel issue. If that fails then I will try the battery tender thing and follow that up with a battery test. Could it be a bad batch of batteries? Is it temperature related? Who knows?

Here's a thought. Has anybody with this problem checked their spark plugs for fouling?

Last edited by a moderator:
F

Fazed

Ok, I have filled up with a fresh tank of fuel and it seems to have improved the cold starts. I'm almost empty again so I will fill up again and see if it keeps improving. Next weekend I will pull the plugs and check to see if there is any evidence of fouling.

F

Fazed

Mine must have been due to bad fuel. I have been through 3 tank loads and I have not had the cold start problem come back.

rug_burn

Me? I have been making a point of keeping the throttle all the way closed while stating, with the bike in neutral, and it starts first time most of the time like this. It's starting to get cool around here, too.

I know with fuel injection systems, engines seem to start better all the way at idle. If my throttle is cracked even a little it takes several tries, uasually until I close it all the way.

F

Fazed

I wish I pulled the plugs when I had the problem, as I do suspect that the plugs were slightly fouled by the bad fuel and that running with good fuel has cleaned them up.

To those of you that have the problem, especially if the weather is cold and you do short trips, just try pulling your plugs and see what condition they are in.

W

WARPTH

Me? I have been making a point of keeping the throttle all the way closed while stating, with the bike in neutral, and it starts first time most of the time like this. It's starting to get cool around here, too.

I know with fuel injection systems, engines seem to start better all the way at idle. If my throttle is cracked even a little it takes several tries, uasually until I close it all the way.

you should never have to open the throttle to start a fuel injected motor. if you are. there is an issue with a sensor or something or rather.

AlCab

I thought I would chime in here. I too thought I had this problem. The first three days I had my bike (brand new 2011 with 0 miles on it when I bought it two weeks ago), it took 4 or 5 tries to get it to fire and keep running when engine is cold. Then I read the posts on here and saw that others were having the same issue. However, I was just depressing the starter button for about a half second on the first try expecting it to start right up. The next morning, I kept the starter button pushed in until she fired up (about 2 seconds) and it started on the first try. Then it started raining so I have not ridden in the last few days. During this time, I put a trickle charger on the bike to make sure the battery is fully charged. This morning was nice so I rode in to work. It was about 45 degrees out. She started on the first try, and within a split second of pushing the starter button.

So moral of the story? Well, I don’t know for sure if I just needed to keep the starter button pushed in until she fired up, or if charging the battery helped like some have mentioned on this thread. So I guess try each one separately and see which works for you.

H

Hoover

It was 29 degrees last Sunday when we left for the Crud Run. My bike, which had sat outside, for over a month without being run, started first stab of the button.

lechi542FZ8

It was 29 degrees last Sunday when we left for the Crud Run. My bike, which had sat outside, for over a month without being run, started first stab of the button.

Were you in the hospital? How could your bike sit outside and you didn't drive it for a month. Not judging, but I just can't imagine doing that.

H

Hoover

Were you in the hospital? How could your bike sit outside and you didn't drive it for a month. Not judging, but I just can't imagine doing that.

Got my foot crushed in July by a 70,000lb fork truck mate.
There is a thread on here about it somewhere back in August.