cold starts

compensation

Is it just my bike or does anyone have to crank it over 6 times to get it to start? It was 65 degrees in the garage and 75 outside. It sputters a few times so then i start giving it a little gas and it sputters some more. By the time it starts I give it no mercy on the gas. The dealer said its normal, so I told him that's what i get for buying a yamaha since the honda, suzuki, and two kawasakis that i have never take past 2 trys.

Any suggestions?

FZER

Avid Rider
No that's not normal at all. Only thing I could suggest other than taking it to a shop is try pulling the clutch in. My bike isn't ever hard to crank. Might turn over 4 times at most. I never have to give it gas. Now it idles pretty rough till the water temp hits 120, but I think that's just the choke doing it's job.

JSP

Administrator
Not normal. Only times my bikes have done that is when the battery was half dead. I would check there first.

compensation

12.84V
I have started it this way with kickstand up, 1st gear. Clutch in. Then neutral and neutral with clutch pulled in. It acts up more in neutral. Once i said f-it and rolled it down the hill and started it that way. Told this all to the dealer and he said sometimes you have to give it some gas. I think it is rich from the get-go so i guess i could try to find a k&n today and buy a exhaust soon.

H

Hoover

Fuel injected engines should never need any gas when starting, especially new ones.
It is not normal at all.
Mine fires on the second spin every time and I ride untill it gets down in the 30's.

compensation

Went to go take a video and what do you know, it started. Yesterday i counted six start-n-dies on the first start of the day. At work i am embarrassed when it does it. It either cranks forever or dies a few times. I am taking it to the dealer this coming week. Fall time is my favorite time to ride with the road covered in crunchy leaves and I don't want to put any bad vibes in that.

V

Vapordan

Dealer said give it gas? Robert Bosch would be turning in his grave!

compensation

Yeah haha, he is a smart one. I have never had a fuel inject anything that requires giving it gas. Even my 1967 cat d4d dozer doesn't need "gas" and that thing is antique.

bobbyb

your dealer is bs, ing you. I live in northern ontario. mine starts right away in 40-85 degree temps. settles into a smooth idle imediately. These bikes are fuel injected. don't twist the throttle, just push the start button!
B

JRider

You are not alone with starting issues. After a year and lots of variables I think my bike gets confused when cold engine and ambient air temps happen to vary considerably(pushing out of cool garage to hot air). It has been suggested on here a few times to hold the clutch in also.

compensation

You are not alone with starting issues. After a year and lots of variables I think my bike gets confused when cold engine and ambient air temps happen to vary considerably(pushing out of cool garage to hot air). It has been suggested on here a few times to hold the clutch in also.

Hmm. Well I though that 10°F difference would not be a big deal. But it has problems when i take it out of the garage and also when it sits in the parking lot at work for 8hrs. I usually hold the clutch in anyways unless I am standing by the bike when I start it. Riding dirt bikes all my life gave me that part.
I called today and the dealer now says it could be a build up on the spark plug. I don't know if this dealership has poor ventilation for exhaust fumes or what, but you see what I am up against. :hbwall:

V

Vapordan

Hmm. Well I though that 10°F difference would not be a big deal. But it has problems when i take it out of the garage and also when it sits in the parking lot at work for 8hrs. I usually hold the clutch in anyways unless I am standing by the bike when I start it. Riding dirt bikes all my life gave me that part.
I called today and the dealer now says it could be a build up on the spark plug. I don't know if this dealership has poor ventilation for exhaust fumes or what, but you see what I am up against. :hbwall:

Have the dealer take a look and specifically test the 'cold start' for the EFI including the coolant temperature sensor. Cold start uses a different pathway for starting when the bike's coolant temperature is not reading cold. If that pathway is faulty, the AFR won't be correct at ignition leading to a hard start (giving gas would actually help it start because it enriches the AFR but that means your EFI and/or ECU or temperature sensor is faulty because correctly functioning EFIs do not require throttle). Symptoms: No starting issue when the bike is warm, warm-cold. Starting issue when the bike is cold or cold-cold. Hope that makes sense.

Last edited by a moderator:

Marthy

Does it happen on a stone cold engine or when it's hot?

On a cold engine try to cycle the ECU twice before starting. (turn key on, off and on again) So the ECU squirt fuel twice.

On a warm engine don't let the ECU cycle through, start right away!

Try few different things... but I think something is off. Dealer is full of $hit!

compensation

Yes that makes sense. Didn't even think of that. More then likely that sensor is the issue. It is intermittent also. The times it does act up it idles like crap now that i recall. And when it is hot i never have an issue.

GarryM

I had a similar cold start issue. On bikes fitted with the factory immobiliser if the cranking voltage drops below 10.5Volts (I think that was the magic number) the immoboliser turns on and the bike will start and stall straight away or run rough for a few seconds and then stall. Even though under no load my battery had normal voltage and it seemed to spin the starter motor fast enough. I keep my battery on trickle charge now when I'm not riding so it's always fully charged and the bike starts very quickly.

sinclap2

Lazy
your dealer is bs, ing you.
B

No way! Dealers never BS :D

It is almost seems when someone comes in asking a question about some trouble their having with the bike, the warranty alarm bells go off their head, the BS module is engaged :rolleyes:

mrthompson

listening for answers to this problem. i am having the same issue and it is embarassing as hell when your brand new bike doesn't want to run. i'm going to try the charging option just to rule it out and make sure my battery is good.

Black Widow

Avid Rider
Another thing to check when engine is cold is the IAT sensor resistance, it should be the same reading as the CTS when cold. As the bike runs the difference of the 2 sensors increaes as the coolant becomes hotter than the intake air temp, but on a stone cold engine they should read the same, if not one of the sensors is no good.

V

Vapordan

Should'nt these symptoms of a bad sensor turn on the "check engine" light and throw a code?

Yes it should, if it's monitored by diagnostics. I couldn't tell you if it was.

Reminds me of my transmission falling over dead 1 second after the check engine light came on (trust issues?). Transmission was dying for 2 weeks. I heard it clearly, but I hoped for the best (cheapness).