Chain Maintenance

Status
Not open for further replies.

JSP

Administrator
Sorry, Really not trying to argue... We can agree to dissagree. :eek:

Still friends. Like you said, do what you are comfy with.

Ok, lets move on

reALIGNed

sorry dude, I'm not argueing at all........just stating a fact on how one member here in fact admitted to doing just this, severing a finger,...from this method too. And I also said to all....lube as you wish, you don't have to comply, believe or follow. And you yourself agreed to my reply that the only reason to lube the chain was to prevent rust and corrosion. So,.........if you want to continue spraying the sticky shit on your chain, just so you can clean it off and do it all over again, please do so. And no, you didn't "get me".

reALIGNed

Manufacturer of the chain says to lube it, I will lube it. Just saying. This is straight from RK's mouth... Which is the chain I use.

Yamaha says to bring the bike in for its 600 mi. check up, but you don't believe in this? But you believe whats on the side of a can of chain lube?:idk:

Just change the oil your self. All it really is. Just go over the bike and make sure no bolts are loose, etc. Dealer is a massive ripoff.

Not sure about mineral oil whatever that is. Use ANY MC oil your heart desires

Oatmeal raisin cookies that look like chocolate chip cookies are the reason I have trust issues...

reALIGNed

I agree and apologize,.but,........ I take my carreer very seriously, my customers come to me for the truth and an expert opinion. They are the ones on two wheels and there is no margin for short cuts in this field.

JSP

Administrator
:confused:

Why is that shocking? That is what i said all along and still say. Manufacturer's of the chains say the same thing and verify that.

Isn't that what we are arguing about? I say you do (as well as the people who make the chain), and you say you dont. I know the lube is sealed in, but the rest needs upkeep to prevent rust and dried out orings. (As per the manufacturer recommendation).

And i am going to bet, Senior's bike was in gear and running when he chopped his finger.

You are pulling at straws now.. . Did i say Dont do the 600 mile service? No, i said do it yourself. And no, not the side of a can of lube! The manufacturer who DESIGNED AND MAKES THE CHAIN AND THE MANUFACTURER OF THE MOTORCYCLE. Not to mention common sense.

No margin for shortcuts? Neglecting your chain is a big shortcut. Seems you NOW. agree to lube for rust and corrosion?// was that not the whole point Of this argument?

Done going back and forth, nothing good going to come from it... :(

Lets get back to regular scheduled business. You can pm me if you want to keep discussing. No need to clutter up the board with our bickering.

socal

most of you won't believe this, but here goes..........its pointless to lube an o-ring chain. During assembly of a new o-ring type chain, its packed with thick high temp grease, (between the barrels and plates) and then the o-rings are installed to keep the lube inside (permanantley) and also keeping moisture and dirt from entering. It is important to keep the chain as clean as possible (safely, with out harsh chemicals). But...once you start adding a spray on lube, the cycle of self destruction to the chain and o-rings begins.
If the guy at the parts counter can sell you a can of lube, ...he will, even if it says "o-ring safe", (its the propelant, not the lube that does damage).
O-ring chains became popular when other bikes were being made with a maintainence free drive shaft, so those models that require a chain had to come up with something, and the o-ring chain it is. Also, the manual tells you to lube it now and then, and thats to prevent it from rusting.
Think about it,...if your lube is getting into the chain, then the lube that was once in there has gotten out, ussually from a cracked, split, or missing o-ring, and at this point, the chain has probably met its normal service life, and its time for a replacement, (but only with new sprockets of course).

the reason i lube is to prevent contact between the chain and the sprocket not the links to links

SeñorJack

El Guapo
on a little different note, I noticed the D.I.D. instructions say do not use a brush on an oring chain. and i certainly did, so that was a poor start for me, which i am sure led to premature failure lube or not.

socal

on a little different note, I noticed the D.I.D. instructions say do not use a brush on an oring chain. and i certainly did, so that was a poor start for me, which i am sure led to premature failure lube or not.

when it wears out use it as an excuse to change sprocket size :)

Status
Not open for further replies.