Chain Maintenance

Status
Not open for further replies.

Benjobiker

Time in between oil and cleaning (milage in between) how you clean and how you oil/wax it back up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Harrywz

Time in between oil and cleaning (milage in between) how you clean and how you oil/wax it back up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I usually spray my chain every 1000km. Last season I used Motul chain lube.
When the chain gets really dirty, I use an old towel and wet the towel with a bit of kerosene and wipe down the chain. Then have a small plastic container with some kerosene and an old toothbrush. Dipping the toothbrush in the kerosene and then brushing the chain and then finishing up with the towel again. Takes 30 to 45 minutes to do. After that I will spray the chain.

SeñorJack

El Guapo
i have had bad experience with kerosene and o ring chains. I really like the motul cleaner. and Pj1 I think is the lube i like.

you should always lube your chain after a ride, as opposed to cold, as the chain is warm and takes the lubricant better. I lube it after rain or after I give her a wash. oh and every 200-300 miles. so lots of lube :)

socal

I usually spray my chain every 1000km. Last season I used Motul chain lube.
When the chain gets really dirty, I use an old towel and wet the towel with a bit of kerosene and wipe down the chain. Then have a small plastic container with some kerosene and an old toothbrush. Dipping the toothbrush in the kerosene and then brushing the chain and then finishing up with the towel again. Takes 30 to 45 minutes to do. After that I will spray the chain.

same but warm the chain by riding around the block before applying the lube. they usually say apply to a warm chain.

Tiffy

I clean mine every week with a degreasent sprayed on an old towel and hold it around the chain as I spin the back wheel (paddock stand). Then I apply a lanolin based o ring chain greaser (no fling) and then a final wipe with a clean towel. Looks good, well lubed and the back wheel stays clean :)

Rabbitman109

Lumen Junkie
I clean mine every week with a degreasent sprayed on an old towel and hold it around the chain as I spin the back wheel (paddock stand). Then I apply a lanolin based o ring chain greaser (no fling) and then a final wipe with a clean towel. Looks good, well lubed and the back wheel stays clean :)

Even though it isn't as dangerous as if the bike was running, putting your hand near the chain while it is moving is not a good idea. I know someone who got complacent, and now is missing fingers. Best practice if you are going to use the towel and cleaner method would be to do one section at a time.

I clean and lube my chain every 400-500 miles. I use the Maxima Clean Up Chain cleaner: Spray it on, let it sit for a minute, and hose it off. After it has dried, I spray on the Maxima Chain Wax. Let it sit, and you're done. Whole process takes about 30 minutes, and generally you don't have to scrub too much. I use a Grunge Brush for that.

SeñorJack

El Guapo
Even though it isn't as dangerous as if the bike was running, putting your hand near the chain while it is moving is not a good idea. I know someone who got complacent, and now is missing fingers. Best practice if you are going to use the towel and cleaner method would be to do one section at a time.

I clean and lube my chain every 400-500 miles. I use the Maxima Clean Up Chain cleaner: Spray it on, let it sit for a minute, and hose it off. After it has dried, I spray on the Maxima Chain Wax. Let it sit, and you're done. Whole process takes about 30 minutes, and generally you don't have to scrub too much. I use a Grunge Brush for that.

Its true dont ever put your hand near a moving chain! there is no good reason. I have cut off my finger doing the very same thing!!! now its all knubby and the bone sticks out. that shit will eat your hand so quick.

Dom83

I use both dupont Lube and degreaser...

I lube it every week and/or after a long ride, and degrease it every 1000km!

Last edited:

reALIGNed

most of you won't believe this, but here goes..........its pointless to lube an o-ring chain. During assembly of a new o-ring type chain, its packed with thick high temp grease, (between the barrels and plates) and then the o-rings are installed to keep the lube inside (permanantley) and also keeping moisture and dirt from entering. It is important to keep the chain as clean as possible (safely, with out harsh chemicals). But...once you start adding a spray on lube, the cycle of self destruction to the chain and o-rings begins.
If the guy at the parts counter can sell you a can of lube, ...he will, even if it says "o-ring safe", (its the propelant, not the lube that does damage).
O-ring chains became popular when other bikes were being made with a maintainence free drive shaft, so those models that require a chain had to come up with something, and the o-ring chain it is. Also, the manual tells you to lube it now and then, and thats to prevent it from rusting.
Think about it,...if your lube is getting into the chain, then the lube that was once in there has gotten out, ussually from a cracked, split, or missing o-ring, and at this point, the chain has probably met its normal service life, and its time for a replacement, (but only with new sprockets of course).

Last edited:

JSP

Administrator
most of you won't believe this, but here goes..........its pointless to lube an o-ring chain. During assembly of a new o-ring type chain, its packed with thick high temp grease, (between the barrels and plates) and then the o-rings are installed to keep the lube inside (permanantley) and also keeping moisture and dirt from entering. It is important to keep the chain as clean as possible (safely, with out harsh chemicals). But...once you start adding a spray on lube, the cycle of self destruction to the chain and o-rings begins.
If the guy at the parts counter can sell you a can of lube, ...he will, even if it says "o-ring safe", (its the propelant, not the lube that does damage).
O-ring chains became popular when other bikes were being made with a maintainence free drive shaft, so those models that require a chain had to come up with something, and the o-ring chain it is. Also, the manual tells you to lube it now and then, and thats to prevent it from rusting.
Think about it,...if your lube is getting into the chain, then the lube that was once in there has gotten out, ussually from a cracked, split, or missing o-ring, and at this point, the chain has probably met its normal service life, and its time for a replacement, (but only with new sprockets of course).

You are correct. Lube is to keep the metal from rusting for the most part. So you DO still need to lube it ;)

SeñorJack

El Guapo
keeping a wax lubricant around the outside of of the o rings is always what I had heard its for. they may not dry internally where the metal meets but they are subject to quite a bit of exposure otherwise. Lubricating my chain has never been a poor investment, they always last much longer for me.

reALIGNed

You are correct. Lube is to keep the metal from rusting for the most part. So you DO still need to lube it ;)

Nope.........this is where you don't want to use a harsh chemical that will remove the thin film of lube coating the metal. And if you are "degreasing" this far, and wiping away the grime, you are also forcing the grime into the links beyond the o-rings.
Again, once you start applying a lube (externally), it becomes a dirt/dust magnet, and once you see all this build up on your chain,.....you clean it and then you lube it, and this proccess goes on and on. Some think it works and becomes a ritual, (and thats fine), but this entire job is not needed. Its kind of like some people believe your not supposed to store a battery on bare cement,...... ask them why, and you'll get a whole lot of different answers. Its just what they're comfortable with.

RoadKill

Nope.........this is where you don't want to use a harsh chemical that will remove the thin film of lube coating the metal. And if you are "degreasing" this far, and wiping away the grime, you are also forcing the grime into the links beyond the o-rings.
Again, once you start applying a lube (externally), it becomes a dirt/dust magnet, and once you see all this build up on your chain,.....you clean it and then you lube it, and this proccess goes on and on. Some think it works and becomes a ritual, (and thats fine), but this entire job is not needed. Its kind of like some people believe your not supposed to store a battery on bare cement,...... ask them why, and you'll get a whole lot of different answers. Its just what they're comfortable with.

im not following you here. i have seen many rusty chains, so your chain is never lubed then?

9 Lives

From what I understand the reason for chain lube is to lubricate between the chain and sprockets not the internal parts of the chain. I would assume the sprockets would wear out quicker with no lube.

reALIGNed

no, it can't, it doesn't contain the proper NLGI rating for EP (extreme pressure) applications.... a properly maintained chain tension and alignment will reduce premature sprocket wear.

Last edited:

SeñorJack

El Guapo
no, it can't, it doesn't contain the proper NLGI rating for EP (extreme pressure) applications.... a properly maintained chain tension and alignment will reduce premature sprocket wear.

that is so interesting that you dont lube your chain! I totally see what your saying, and kinda want to try it. But everywhere I look says that all o-ring chains need lube. even the manufacturers. of bikes, and chains.

are you thinking maybe its a sales related agenda there? or do you think perhaps the engineers designed them to be lubed?

I am interested, you are the first person to say don't lube a chain. but, you also may be the last to do so haha

Tiffy

Its true dont ever put your hand near a moving chain! there is no good reason. I have cut off my finger doing the very same thing!!! now its all knubby and the bone sticks out. that shit will eat your hand so quick.

So are you saying I shouldn't have the bike running while on the paddock stand with the throttle locked open at 5000 revs to do this .........;)

Status
Not open for further replies.