Catalytic Converter

RoMav

I saw where someone mentioned knocking the center out of the cat but didn't have any before pics so I though I would post one for anyone curious. I haven't knocked the center out though was just playing around and curious to see how loud the bike was without the pipe for a second. Only let it idle for a second and damn!

[/IMG]

D

Deleted member 438

I gutted my cat and it was a PITA to get out. I think its made out of a metallic material, so it does not break up.

FZ8.UK

NOT sure if i am missing something here, are you sure you got the cat,

Cant see any ears or eyes,

how loud was it then

ride safe

Meak

Texasfz8

I removed my catalytic converter and it has been one of the best things I could have done. It is a pain to remove but it is worth all the profanity uttered. The removal of the cat along with an free flowing exhaust can allows the bike to breath and signifcantly improves performance, engine temps and sound. I have over 1000 miles on mine without it I have had no issues.

beefcake morris

I just punched mine out and put a 2brs slip on. I love the sound and I swear the dip got a slight bit better. At least the butt dunno and watching the rpm gauge get threw the dip seems better.

kbrink

I removed my catalytic converter and it has been one of the best things I could have done. It is a pain to remove but it is worth all the profanity uttered. The removal of the cat along with an free flowing exhaust can allows the bike to breath and signifcantly improves performance, engine temps and sound. I have over 1000 miles on mine without it I have had no issues.

Are you running with a Fuel tuner, or just stock?

FZER

Avid Rider
I'm pretty much convinced that it is one of the main reasons for the 4-6k power loss. I wish I knew or trusted a shop enough around here to cut mine off and weld a replacement piece on. Don't know a demill tool might eat that crap up pretty good, but I'll go ahead and warn you. Wear a mask and safety glasses. I can't remember which metal it is, but there's a special metal, expensive metal too, that most cats are made with and the dust is hazardous.

FZER

Avid Rider
I saw where someone mentioned knocking the center out of the cat but didn't have any before pics so I though I would post one for anyone curious. I haven't knocked the center out though was just playing around and curious to see how loud the bike was without the pipe for a second. Only let it idle for a second and damn!

[/IMG]

My neighbor was trying to sell his house at one point and I think I ran off a buyer once with my GSXR 750 with running a straight pipe.

D

DJK1505

WOW! Gutting this thing really changes the tone of the bike!!! It has a much deeper tone, I have not had a chance to ride it yet. Its supposed to be pretty nice tomorrow, will see how it is hopefully!!!!

Took me about 2.5 hours, 2 screw drivers, a hammer and one pry bar. Nothing to it, just takes a little time!

DJ

C

calscrazy

maybe they should worry about the super duty trucks with diesel engines before concerning themselves with a few bikes

Speedo007

Well most bikes pollute more then cars (and I ride my bike 20000km a year and put 5000km on my car). Simply because on cars they dont have the space/weight limits they can have more complete, cleaner systems. Again not judging anyone removing their cats, just putting the info out there for those who might take it in consideration.

C

calscrazy

maybe they should worry about the super duty trucks with diesel engines before concerning themselves with a few bikes

hence the words "super duty trucks with diesel engines" not cars. two different animals. especially in their exhaust sytem setups. diesels produce more smog-forming pollutants and toxic matter than any car or motorcycle. making a gallon of diesel fuel requires 25% more oil and emits 17% more heat-trapping greenhouse gases than gasoline reformulated with MTBE. similarly, diesel requires 17% more oil and emits 18% more heat-trapping gases than gasoline reformulated with ethanol. this means that diesel fuel's advantages from its higher per-gallon energy content and better performance on greenhouse gases are partially offset by the impact of diesel's fuel-production process.

u know the ones that when they step on the gas have black smoke pouring out of them!!

besides that on a daily basis motorcycles make up like 3% of the vehicles on the road.

Last edited by a moderator:

Speedo007

Yeah theres always other sources of pollution that are worse, but none the less, any little difference everyone makes still adds up. But I get your point and I'm sure you get mine. If someone robs a bank and you rob a seven/eleven, it doesn't really make you crime more negligible. :) And no I'm not saying taking the cat out is a crime (though its probably illegal hehe) just saying that I dont care if others pollute more, I just try to do my part where I can, specially when the gains are not worth it.

Last edited:
C

calscrazy

i get what you are saying. my problem is more with the govt/law than anything. they beat the heck out of automobile manufacturers about emmisions but let the diesel's, industrial and restaurants off the hook. money talks!!

i am curious what the actual dyno would show as horsepower gains.

packnrat

not to worry about diesel trucks. the new ones out on the roads now have so many computers and even a cat and a exhaust burners on them and you get to pay for this via higher costs for everything, you want to have in your lives.
this added anti work deal is costing $20grand per each tractor, and must be replaced in 8 years...if they even last that long.
a number of independents have just shut down, as they can not afford the added costs of dumping the old trucks (only 5 years old for a newer unit) costing way too much money. can not sell the old tractors as they can not be used as they do not have the "new" smog trash on them.
and this country relies on the independent owner to move goods.
but that is ok as mexican trucking company's can now work in the USA, and are exempt from our smog and safety rules.
but strange canadians must comply with our smog and safety rules.

Last edited:

Speedo007

Free trade my ass hehe That's interesting...and the most stupid part of it, is that the energy and resources required to built a new truck probably eliminated any pollution saving they are trying to achieve...

C

calscrazy

call your local ford dealer and price a few hybrid batteries. they are designed to last the life of the vehicle but when they don't....:eek:

2010 ESCAPE hybrid battery $12000.00

you might save the planet but you might kill yourself working to pay for a battery that some argue isnt any better for the environment than lead based ones.

packnrat not to mention most of the mexican truck drivers cant drive worth a ####

Speedo007

Yeah I saw a video about how producing the Prius polluted way more then producing a gas engine car. That you would need to ride it for like 500000km before the benefits start appearing for the environment. Personally, I'll go for a little gas engine over a hybride car any day, will last way longer and the fuel consumption difference is negligable. New cars pollute less, but they dont appear out of no where, it takes a hell of a lot of material and energy to create them.

H

Hoover

My 2010 Freightliner has 2 cats and a DEF injection system. I can leave it running in the shop for hours. Certified clean idle engine with almost zero emmisions.