Carbon Fiber Thread

hutru01

Knights of Columbus
Has anyone replaced the fenders, rear hugger, chain gaurd etc with carbon fiber? If so, where did you buy? Post some pics if you have them! :cool:

H

Hoover

I'm planning on doing the front fender and chain guard this summer.

cpatt

once i get some cash together. im going to slowly start replacing everything thats plastic with CF. i think it should look awesome and make the bike weigh a pound or 2 less.

Speedo007

For the price of replacing all body work with carbon fiber parts, you can have your bike completely repainted (I'd prefer a new paint job over CF parts). Usually people either love or hate carbon fiber appearance. There's so many imitations out there, that even when I see real carbon fiber, it feels cheap to me hehe As for weight gain over the small plastic parts on our bikes it certainly can't justify the price as savings will never be noticeable when riding. You really gotta do it for looks and looks only to each his own I guess :)

D

Deleted member 438

I think it looks awesome, but probably not worth it for cosmetics. I added a bunch of that stuff to the shopping cart and it was over $1000---a nice paint job shouldn't even cost you that much.

RyanSterling

Suspension Mod Evangelist
I personally love the stuff. Most all of the pieces I modified for my headlight project got wrapped in 3M scotchprint carbon fiber. I used to do a lot of composite fabrication and I actually like the way the scotchprint looks better. Has sort of a matte/semi gloss finish. Will snap some pics when my work hours return to normal.

Jwood9

Im very interested in seeing how the carbon fiber looks with the 2012 paint job, i think it would look good but has anyone started with carbon parts on theirs?

master paper clip

Im very interested in seeing how the carbon fiber looks with the 2012 paint job, i think it would look good but has anyone started with carbon parts on theirs?

Yea I'm planning on swapping all I can for carbon fiber, I found radiator side covers, front fender, the top plastic part of the head light, entire tail section, chain guard, and rear tire hugger.. I also found covers that bolt on over the 2 side covers and the front slromet cover, the covers actually looked really good from the picture

sinclap2

Lazy
Yeah, I am a bit of a CF whore. I bought the motoflyte heel guards, but their website seems to have disappeared. I was waiting for their rear hugger so I went with this one:

gbmoto carbon yamaha fz8 2011 rear hugger

These guys also have chain guards, tank covers and radiator sides. I bought their last hugger that is longer than standard, they had in current stock.

I am also tempted by the exhaust WFDowns put up. I love my Danmoto, except it is a little loud...

mckshred

CF tidbits

I've got only the INexpensive pieces of CF so far, except the 2 Bros. Pipe. The Heel Guards and the mid pipe exhaust cover. I want to see how the other Scotchprint CF looks and works. I've seen another bike on here that had something similar and it looked sharp.

B

bren

I personally love the stuff. Most all of the pieces I modified for my headlight project got wrapped in 3M scotchprint carbon fiber. I used to do a lot of composite fabrication and I actually like the way the scotchprint looks better. Has sort of a matte/semi gloss finish. Will snap some pics when my work hours return to normal.

I used some of that to cover that triangle part of the rear fairing behind the pillion seat- where that small yamaha logo is.

Looks sleek and awesome!

GrnGoblin

I've got the CF radiator ends and heel guards and CF R77. Hoping to do the chain guard soon, will post pics when I can!

B

bren

I've got the CF radiator ends and heel guards and CF R77. Hoping to do the chain guard soon, will post pics when I can!

Me too- really like the CF heel guards. Looks a lot better than simply just removing the alloy guards. I also have the CF radiator fairings. Dresses the engine area up nicely!

Takdogg

2012 model with carbon fiber retrofit

I am wondering if anyone has retrofitted the 2012 model in carbon fiber. I have the 2 Brothers CF Black series installed and think it might be cool to do the whole bike. Before I spend the money I thought I'd ask because my concern is if it will look good with the matte paint. I believe all the products in CF will come as a gloss finish.