Buzzing fix

V

Vapordan

Picking up bike this afternoon. Mechanic indicates that the buzz is normal because the FZ8 engine does not have an engine balancer. He felt the buzz on a couple of test runs and says they all (FZ8s) have that.

The buzz frequency is definitely bothering me. Some people are sensitive to that particular frequency than others but the buzz is present in all FZ8s. The idea is to move the buzz to an rpm band that you do not use often.

I have been trying to grip the tank more and relax my grip every time I remember so that my hand is not the absorption point for the energy. It has also gotten better with engine break in.

Last edited by a moderator:

TeleRob

my hands zing

If I ride 40 miles, my hands have nerve zinging after I ride, almost as if I've been operating the power washer.
I've tried soft gel grips and gel padded gloves, and its still a problem for me. I may end up selling my bike if I can't fix it.

Black Widow

Avid Rider
If I ride 40 miles, my hands have nerve zinging after I ride, almost as if I've been operating the power washer.
I've tried soft gel grips and gel padded gloves, and its still a problem for me. I may end up selling my bike if I can't fix it.

NO, don't sell it. Ride it more, do some long trips, your hands will toughen up.(maybe). It's up to you, but you may take a hit trying to sell so soon.

lyric911

I have to assume you're squeezing the grips way too hard. Bikes with I4 engines are about the smoothest configuration you can have. If you think this vibrates, ride a thumper.

kjonas75

I don't think this is a riding technique issue.

I used to ride a Suzuki Marauder 800cc V Twin, and never gave me this vibration/buzz in the handlebar. Currently on the FZ8, my hand goes numb after 30 minutes of riding.

I rode the Marauder from Cairns to Brisbane (1800Km) without any issues, but there is no way I could do that on the FZ8 (with the current buzz issue).

Unfortunately I am seeing a lot of people complaining about this issue, and I hate when my hand feels numb after 30 minutes (or less). It's most likely more evident on the FZ8 as the vibration happens at the 4K to 5K RPM cruise range.

I am now also looking at bar riser (20mm) to take some pressure off my hand.
I will also be looking at filling my bar with silicone and softer handles.

TeleRob

I have to assume you're squeezing the grips way too hard. Bikes with I4 engines are about the smoothest configuration you can have. If you think this vibrates, ride a thumper.

No, I'm not squeezing the grips too hard IMO.
I've had other bikes and not had an issue like this. ZZR1200, Vstar.

Either its gotten worse now after the 600 mile service, or its because I've been riding it at higher rpms to have more power on tap.
My longest ride was before the 600 mile service, and I was also trying to vary the rpms much more for break in and riding in the 3500 to 5000 range and I don't recall having the issue then.

I'm going to get some silicon today to try.

Ronzo

FWIW, I had issues with both my bikes recently when I bought new gloves - things are much better now they've been broken in - still get some numbness/tingling issues on longer rides but not bad enough to have to stop or whatever. :)

TeleRob

No such luck on the silicon today.
I got some fast drying tube from Lowes. What I did was stuff about 20 ft of copper 12 NM wire in there, some long strands, and most short strands to stay near the bar end, then I started filling with silicon. The best method I found for silicon was to take a dab and push it into bar end nut, and then shoot it in with the air compressor.

After letting it dry a couple hours, I rode about 30 miles and still was getting zinging on my palms, and I was very conscious of grip tension.

I pulled the bars off, and they are heavy now, but I may try the vibranators next. I assume the FZ1/FZ6 ones should work. Yamaha FJ1100/FJ1200 1984-1993; FZ700/750 1985-1988; FZR1000 1989-1995; YZF750 1994-1998; YZF600R 1995-2007; FJ600 1984-1985; FZ6 1989-2010; TDM850 1992-1993; XJ600 1992-1996; FZ1 2001-2010 If its a long wait for them, I may try sand or something prior after removing the bar nut, so I can specifically fabricate some heavy slug for the grip end.

kjonas75

Unfortunately the whole is too small to try and get silicone easily in there.
I actually broke 2 bottle ends trying to do this, and I can't make the whole any bigger unless I drill into it.

My next step is to get extra heavy duty handle ends, but the heavy ones aren't cheap.

Hopefully after a few thousand kilometers the bike will loosen and decrease the buzz.

lyric911

Even if you aren't gripping hard, are you possibly leaning/putting your weight on your hands? Make sure you are using your knees on the tank and your core/midsection to hold yourself upright. If you are leaning on your hands they will get tired and sore.

MotoRick

Motorcycle Fanatic
I have to wonder what's really causing the buzzing. I suffered with hand numbness from buzzing with both my SV650 and my Honda Magna, but haven't had that problem at all yet with the FZ8. Weird. Sorry, I know I'm no help but I hope you find out the cause.

rajdR

Take away the plastic cover around/above the headlight and check all the screws. All mine were loosen up, one even fell down on my floor.
I had the same issue as you after first service, got it once and haven't had that problem again so far. Have to ride more to be sure though I think.

Just a tips!