Buzzing fix

V

Vapordan

I get a 5k rpm buzz that drifts up the handle bar and into the brake trigger. I want to know how to fix this because it's causing me numbness after shortish rides.

What have you all done to address this issue?

I get it when I cover the trigger with my finger - and that's the only way I know how to ride, finger on the trigger. I feel naked with no finger there. But the buzz is interfering. Clutch trigger does not buzz. I didn't have that buzz on my last yamaha. I sold a Katana after a few months just because of that buzz. Is that something the dealer will repair under warranty or will they say it is an inline 4 blah blah blah

V

Vapordan

Answering myself
How to Eliminate Handlebar Vibration

I will give some of these a try this weekend. I've also got some shorty levers on its way; I want to try that as well. Incidentally, I have standard brand new gold rideitmoto triggers up for grabs, buyer pays shipping.

Last edited by a moderator:
V

Vapordan

Put clear silicone today in the right handle bar - that's where the buzzing is most annoying. Let it sit for a couple of hours and went on an extended ride. The buzzing is still there, a bit less (30% reduction???). The other thing I noticed is the silicone pushed the buzzing down to the 3k rpm band. Couple more things to try like rubber bushings and silicone gloves.

C

Camo

Have you tried riding round it, like staying higher or lower in the range maybe?

I can't say I've noticed any buzzing other than the standard hum high in the rev range. Is it a massive buzz or just mild vibration?
Maybe a stupid question but are your bars tight?

V

Vapordan

Ya I am riding around it, I just lift my finger off the bar when I feel it. It's a barely noticeable buzz. It's just that the frequency affects me, makes finger tingle and go numb. I noticed that my lever has some vertical slack unlike the brake lever, that may be a reason too.

V

Vapordan

Ya I am riding around it, I just lift my finger off the bar when I feel it. It's a barely noticeable buzz. It's just that the frequency affects me, makes finger tingle and go numb. I noticed that my lever has some vertical slack unlike the brake lever, that may be a reason too.

You know my impatience might be getting the better of me here. I think I should take this up again after my first oil change.

Harrywz

Kuryakyn makes ISO grips for sport bikes now. That may be a solution for you.
They are now available in black. I had these on my Warrior and does tend to lessen the vibrations.

Fazer401

Here's what you do

Dude, you gotta brake the habit...get it? Seriously what are you doing there? Not only should you not cover the brake/clutch but you must be riding anxiously or you've been on a mx track too long. You shouldn't try to find a way to make that comfy, better you should get out of the habit. What makes you wanna do that?

V

Vapordan

shorty levers have helped a bit. I've also seen a thread on the European forums complaining about vibration in the right handle bar and buzz in the mirrors. Seems like a design issue to me.

Hereward

Thats the culprit. stick it in neutral, rev and hold at point where you hear/feel the 5k buzz then simply press lightly on the two plastic pertrusions indicated by the arrows...........if the buzz stops imediatly then returns as you release the two bits of plastic then you have found the problem, simply pad as nesercairy........it tends to get worse with age so waiting for it to go away dosn't work LOL......there is another low rev rattle but thats around 2-3k and is cured by a rubber gromet between the top center of the display and the the cover above it.

Hereward

Quick one on the vibration in the bars/grips.......thats something diferent, quite a few have complained of this, I lived with it for a year then just went out and bought some new grips. I went for a medium compound...........problem was sorted instantly, never had numb hand syndrome since, for the price of new grips and the time and ease of changeing them.......it's not worth not doing it! The standard grips are from my experience a hard compond which is the problem.

Wolf_Hook

Thats the culprit. stick it in neutral, rev and hold at point where you hear/feel the 5k buzz then simply press lightly on the two plastic pertrusions indicated by the arrows...........if the buzz stops imediatly then returns as you release the two bits of plastic then you have found the problem, simply pad as nesercairy........it tends to get worse with age so waiting for it to go away dosn't work LOL......there is another low rev rattle but thats around 2-3k and is cured by a rubber gromet between the top center of the display and the the cover above it.

Yup! Even if I grab and hold the top part of that visor, near the cluster it stop instantly. Might get some expanding foam and spray a little on the underside, or try and get some double sided 3M tape to hold it all down.

V

Vapordan

Quick one on the vibration in the bars/grips.......thats something diferent, quite a few have complained of this, I lived with it for a year then just went out and bought some new grips. I went for a medium compound...........problem was sorted instantly, never had numb hand syndrome since, for the price of new grips and the time and ease of changeing them.......it's not worth not doing it! The standard grips are from my experience a hard compond which is the problem.

Do you have a link or a manufacturer I can look up? I had a look at the karyakyn but they look like they are for harleys.

Last edited by a moderator:

cpatt

i just fixed my buzzing.... the dumb ass service guys didnt tighten the bolts that hold the gas tank on.... they were hand tight all 3 off them.... and well i tightened them and now its fixed

Hereward

Any will do there standard size........ok I'll rephrase that there are 2 standard sizes and types, the FZ8 is the "standard" size, stuff with big thick bars like cruisers is the other size........you also have open ended and closed ended.......you need open ended. just look for open ended grips, medium or soft compound (sometimes known as touring) to fit...........well you name it, if it's a sportsbike or tourer then it should fit. failing that go measure your bikes grips.

Mo$4FZ8

I tried different grips also. Plus get some gloves that have some cushion. I have the Pro Italia Gel Grips they got rid of the numbness I was getting. Thought I was gonna get rid of bars for awhile but did not have to.

V

Vapordan

I tried different grips also. Plus get some gloves that have some cushion. I have the Pro Italia Gel Grips they got rid of the numbness I was getting. Thought I was gonna get rid of bars for awhile but did not have to.

Got my new gloves, alpine sp2 . Oh my, this is worse. My complete hand goes numb now afer 5 minutes. Took the bike in for it's service, told them I didn't want it back until the vibration is gone. Period.

Black Widow

Avid Rider
Got my new gloves, alpine sp2 . Oh my, this is worse. My complete hand goes numb now afer 5 minutes. Took the bike in for it's service, told them I didn't want it back until the vibration is gone. Period.

Guess you will be without your 8 for a long time then:D. Have you tried relaxing your arms and grip less tightly, useing your legs to aleviate the pressure on your hands?. I'm not having any buzzing issues, just the normal cramped hands after an hour or so into the ride.

Hereward

Have to say.......it really wasn't that bad, completly eliminated it with a slightly softer grip compound..........I wear thin summer sportsbike gloves (no padding) Consiously relax your grip, sit further foreward sit more upright so as not to put weight on your hands, I can ride all day without issue, have you had this issue on other bikes? Do you suffer with carpul tunnel isue in either or both hands?