Be carefull guys... FZ8 in the dirt.

Zeitgeist

Crashed the fz8 today. Well, more like dropped her doing maybe 20-30km p/h.

Spent a few hours this afternoon fitting the k&n filter and doing the air-box mod. So when I finished obviously I had to test it out - made it to the end of my street. There's a slight dip in the road at the end of my driveway so whenever it rains there is always a puddle there, it wasn't raining today but it did last night. I've pulled out of my driveway, through the puddle (which is quite muddy) and rode up the st. I gave it to her a bit to see the difference with the air box mod, but slowed down with the gears before the end of the street. My street has a slight curve at the end before coming to a 'T' section. I braked (like normal), the back end locked up and started to slide out so I pulled in the clutch, straightened it up and tried to break again. Locked up again and went sideways into the curb, the bike and myself fell into the sand/gravel.

The bike and myself are fine apart from some cosmetic damage. Just thought I'd let you guys know to be carefull when it's wet and going through puddles. I'm still tripping out trying to work out why it actually happened, I'm thinking there was wet sand on the outside of my tyre, so when I leaned and braked at the end of the street, the laws of physics did not agree.

DownhomeMoto

Sorry to hear.... I was told that everytime a FZ8 goes down a fairy dies.... So sad.... Glad you ok. And the bike can be fixed.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

highoctane

Canyon Carver
Agreed glad your OK, Pictures of a tore up bike or injuries are never a good thing. Live to ride another day day.

Zeitgeist

Cheers guys, should have her good as new in a couple of weeks. I know of a good painter to sort our those scratches. So I just need a new headlight cover (clear part) and that cover that goes over the fuel tank. Anyone got any idea where the best place to get those parts would be? I'm assuming contacting Yamaha directly. Glad it didn't fall onto the right side and smashed up my new akrapovic!

Feel a bit silly hey, but it scared me enough to have more respect for the bike. So I guess that's positive haha

My hand is killing me though!

C

Camo

So how was the air-box mod? lol ;P

Bad luck mate. Like you said though, lesson learned.
Go to a parts fiche website like Yamaha Parts for Motorcycle, Scooters, ATV and Utility Vehicles Dillon Brothers MotorSports Omaha, NE 800-964-1882)
and work out costing + shipping then ring your local Yamaha dealers parts and accessories dept. Be sitting down when they give you their price and try not to ask them if they are fuc#ing kidding lol. Yamaha Australia must have gold plated toilets in head office.

Zeitgeist

So how was the air-box mod? lol ;P

Bad luck mate. Like you said though, lesson learned.
Go to a parts fiche website like Yamaha Parts for Motorcycle, Scooters, ATV and Utility Vehicles Dillon Brothers MotorSports Omaha, NE 800-964-1882)
and work out costing + shipping then ring your local Yamaha dealers parts and accessories dept. Be sitting down when they give you their price and try not to ask them if they are fuc#ing kidding lol. Yamaha Australia must have gold plated toilets in head office.

Haha cheers mate! It went something like this in my head "oh yeah you can hear the difference sounds throatier, wtf? WTF!?' BANG!

I'll check out some websites, the one you posted seems pretty good. Hopefully I don't have to donate to the golden Yamaha toilet seat fund!

MojoRisin

You can save about $40 by relling them you don't want the Yamaha badges for the shroud on the tank. That flimsy piece of plastic was around $200. Glad to hear it was minor.

Zeitgeist

You can save about $40 by relling them you don't want the Yamaha badges for the shroud on the tank. That flimsy piece of plastic was around $200. Glad to hear it was minor.

Cheers

I've found that tank shroud for around $130-$150 on American websites, but can't find it anywhere in white, can't find a white version of the part that goes over the speedo either. The front fender is black so I can get that cheaper from the US. I've also found the headlight cover for around $200.

Hmmm maybe I could get them painted here in australia.

sinclap2

Lazy
I found some good prices on boats.net even with the shipping to Australia it was still cheaper than buying here by a long way! Frame sliders here $208.00. Boats.net $113 + 35 for delivery $148! That is a huge price difference! The only problem is I just tried to a search on their site and the FZ8 stuff has disappeared. You might be able shoot them an email and ask?

Speedo007

Good thing your ok. It does demonstrate the importance of wearing gloves even in city riding at "slow" speeds...that was just 20-30km/h...I see guys on cruisers all the time going 130km/h on the highway without gloves...if the day comes that they crash, they'll be down to the bones after 5 feet of sliding...

Crazy how those plastic parts add up fast...

V

Vapordan

I found some good prices on boats.net even with the shipping to Australia it was still cheaper than buying here by a long way! Frame sliders here $208.00. Boats.net $113 + 35 for delivery $148! That is a huge price difference! The only problem is I just tried to a search on their site and the FZ8 stuff has disappeared. You might be able shoot them an email and ask?

Oh no. I think you found a gem here in boats.net!!! Everything happens for a reason man :)

FZER

Avid Rider
This goes without saying, but really watch that spot on your hand. I can't think of anything nastier than a mud puddle to get scratched up in. Iodine that puppy. My Dad flipped a four wheeler in a mud hole one time and it cost him his hearing in his right ear. He got the funk in his ear.:eek: