Autotune install?

slowkey

so I was a little confused as well so I emailed the following question to Power Commander

Hello I have a PCV that I have installed on my bike. I am now adding the autotune unit.. Am I required to keep the original o2 sensor and o2 optimizer (that came with the PCV) in the exhaust? or can it be removed once the autotune unit is installed?

and received the following answer

The O2 optimizer for this model keeps the stock O2 sensor active and in the exhaust. In order to use Auto-tune it would be required to weld a second bung into the exhaust to accommodate the Auto-tune wideband O2 sensor.

F

Fazed

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it sounds like Dynojet is giving conflicting advice about their product. Refer back to Dr Dooms post about not needing the stock O2 with autotune in page 2 of this thread.

lyric911

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it sounds like Dynojet is giving conflicting advice about their product. Refer back to Dr Dooms post about not needing the stock O2 with autotune in page 2 of this thread.

They are.

You only need to keep the stock O2 if you want to run the O2 optimizer. If you take it out, the wideband from the autotune will cover the full range.

C

Camo

Ok, so for a dummy such as myself that has never played with fuel management systems.... Autotune replaces the need for a custom map and designs one as it goes type thing yes/no?

slowkey

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it sounds like Dynojet is giving conflicting advice about their product.

I found Dynojet's answer to be a little ambiguous and it seems like they are really trying to avoid saying yes you must run both or not.

Since it will cost me nothing to have the autotune bung put in i am going to run both sensors.

Paralgin

Avid Rider
Im waiting for my Bazzaz Z-Fi fuel controller. And if i understand the auto tuning thing correct, this tunes it self?

S

Shock

Might be a dumb question but is the auto tune as good as using a dyno?

D

Deleted member 438

There are enough maps from members on this forum that it makes getting an auto tune unnecessary. The AT can be a real PITA to deal with because it gets confused when decelerating and it will throw some messed up numbers at you. There are ways to get around it, but I just don't think it's worth the headache. I'm sure Marthy, DJ, and Lyric911 can chime in and help talk you guys out of it. I have heard that the Bazzaz tuning module does a much better job at tuning than dynojet's AT.

F

Fazed

Thanks Dr Doom you have got me thinking if I really need one. I'm also thinking I might need to get a Dyno tune anyway to set up the ignition module. I can't really find much info on that.

Paralgin I can't wait to hear you opinions on the Bazazz.

Yes Camo, the autotune designs one as you go according to the AFR that you have set in the fuel tables.

Is the auto tune as good as a dyno? Well I'll explain the differences and you can make up your own mind from there.

A dyno will get the best from your bike in the condition that it is in when it is dynoed. e.g Fuel octane and condition, air temp, presssure and humidity, state of modifications. It will also tune the entire rev range. It is usually run by someone who knows what they are doing (unless you live in Darwin) and can customise a map to your requirements or tell you what you want is a silly idea. You will also get a nice print out to brag about your power curve to friends.

The autotune needs the Air fuel ratio set by the user, so if you have no idea about AFR's, you can really screw things up. It will constantly tune to the AFR's set in the fuel table. It can change the fuelling to suit the above mentioned conditions and if you constantly modify your bike, it will adapt to your changes as well. If you don't run the bike through the rev range, it'll never tune the top end. O2 sensors do age and in cars usually get replaced around the 100 000km mark.

So there you go, if I left anything out, please add to this.

I'm not entirley convinced I need autotune, because I know there is an end point in my modifications. There is only so much you can do until increasing displacement or forced induction is needed for more power.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 438

Thanks DJ you have got me thinking if I really need one. I'm also thinking I might need to get a Dyno tune anyway to set up the ignition module. I can't really find much info on that.

Yes Camo, the autotune designs one as you go according to the AFR that you have set in the fuel tables.

Is the auto tune as good as a dyno? Well I'll explain the differences and you can make up your own mind from there.

A dyno will get the best from your bike in the condition that it is in when it is dynoed. e.g Fuel octane and condition, air temp, presssure and humidity, state of modifications. It will also tune the entire rev range. It is usually run by someone who knows what they are doing (unless you live in Darwin) and can customise a map to your requirements or tell you what you want is a silly idea. You will also get a nice print out to brag about your power curve to friends.

The autotune needs the Air fuel ratio set by the user, so if you have no idea about AFR's, you can really screw things up. It will constantly tune to the AFR's set in the fuel table. It can change the fuelling to suit the above mentioned conditions and if you constantly modify your bike, it will adapt to your changes as well. If you don't run the bike through the rev range, it'll never tune the top end. O2 sensors do age and in cars usually get replaced around the 100 000km mark.

So there you go, if I left anything out, please add to this.

I'm not entirley convinced I need autotune, because I know there is an end point in my modifications. There is only so much you can do until increasing displacement or forced induction is need for more power.

When you tune on a dyno, it is only done under load. The AT is always functioning under load and when you back off of the throttle, and the no load tuning is not necessary and this is where the AT goofs up. Essentially, if you were gonna set up a dyno simulation on the street you would have to hold the throttle open at every position, let it run out of revs, and switch the AT off before shutting the throttle off. Screw self tuning and run a map that already exists so that you can actually enjoy the bike.

Paralgin

Avid Rider
When it come to the Bazzaz i got recomended that one from my mechanic who builds road racing bikes han have a lot of experience with it so i think its a safe bet =)
And he said that i shall not have any autotune.