At what temp?

jumb5150

At what temp do you guys start riding? During the morning or after a long stop i wait till 150 degrees F. to start. How bout you guys? any thoughts?

jumb5150

The reason i dont ride until 150 is because my instructor who is an AMA racer says that 150 is the minimum temp. He said something about throwing out a bearing if i take off to early. Dunno maybe he could've been pulling my chain (pardon the pun) since im a noob.

C

calscrazy

mine is usually somewhere between 125-145. just depends how long it takes me to walk back in the house, check to make sure i got everything, put my gear on, find what i feel like listening to on the ipod ,then i go open garage door and go.

specops13

I warm it up till it comes of the Lo indication. I never run the bike hard until I've gone a few miles. The oil stays thick for quite some time and is bypassing the filter if you do. Once the bike settles into an operating temperature, the multi-grade oil is likely getting thinned out and can be run with confidence...

hypo

I'm with Specops13 on that. Also it takes me about 5 minutes to get all the way out of my nieghborhood + school zone, so I'm basically rolling at idle. By the time I get to regular road speed limits, I'm at full operating temperature.

jumb5150

Thx for the replies. I guess its not that crazy waiting for 150 to hit b4 i leave my garage. Just kinda hard if i need to get away after robbing a bank. :D

BeachinFZ8

NEVER turn an engine off during robberies! Karma ensures a dead battery or other mechanical failure. Haven't you ever seen a movie?? :rolleyes:

C

calscrazy

karma!! if he has to rob a bank i am pretty sure that went out the window awhile back.

H

Hoover

If you run full synthetic, it has a better adhersion quality so riding on a colder engine is less worrysome.
I try not to get on untill it comes off lo but sometimes have to..late for work :rolleyes:

Texasfz8

I try not to get on untill it comes off lo but sometimes have to..late for work :rolleyes:
I'm with Hoover - I try not to ride until it comes off LO, but when you got to go... you got to ride. Our manual indicates it is ok to ride when it is on LO so I just baby it at first and it is usually off LO before I have to twist it to merge with traffic.

C

Camo

Mine reads 50 degrees Celsius before I'll even through a leg over

NYC_fz8

If you run full synthetic, it has a better adhersion quality so riding on a colder engine is less worrysome.

Hm.

Is there a way for me to switch my F to read C instead? I'm not really used to the whole fahrenheit thing :eek:

michelsmith

Ridding at a stand still when it is cold isn't good for the engine,, If I am ever showing friends what is sounds like, I will always wait till it is at operating temp before i rev it for them..

as for riding off - I wait till it is displaying a temp then I ride off but take it easy and keep the revs low until it is up to operating temp - then I rip it!!

H

Hoover

Hm.

Is there a way for me to switch my F to read C instead? I'm not really used to the whole fahrenheit thing :eek:

Check your owners manual. I know you can switch from miles to km's so I imagine you can switch to celcius

D

DJK1505

The computer has a warm up cycle, if you have ever tried romping on it before it is at operating temp it will kinda bark at you. Sort of like its coughing! This is due to the increased fuel being dumped into the cylinders on the warm up cycle. Also your oil is thick at start up so I would not go romping on it right away, but it does not hurt your bike to ride it carefully a few moments after you have started the engine. I religously start my bike, put my helment and gloves on and then go, regardless if its off Lo or not. I have never had any problems with any of my bikes. And your first 10 miles or so your tires are cold as hell, who wants to romp on it with cold tires?????

FaZerick8

I warm it up till it comes of the Lo indication. I never run the bike hard until I've gone a few miles. The oil stays thick for quite some time and is bypassing the filter if you do. Once the bike settles into an operating temperature, the multi-grade oil is likely getting thinned out and can be run with confidence...

I agree with SpecOps13. Warm up the FZ8 until the Lo indication changes to degrees, then ride non-aggressively for a few miles.

gearjunky13

Always ben told never rev a cold motor but as long as you baby it untill the temp comes up you should be good, most people back in the day had to wate for the motor to heat up cuz it would stall out and you had to run it on choke because of the carburator but with the fuel injection its easy to just take off you just need to baby it, and i think wating for it to come off high idel is best but just keep it at a low rpm and short shift till it comes up to temp