Airbox mod undone. my opinion

RoadKill

Well i finally got the new airbox to replace my modded one in yesterday. I took a ride out to Bear Mountain today and rode for hours. I am still running the Jumbo 2013 map, Yoshi R77, K&N Filter.

This is my opinion and i haven't done any science. But i know my bike extremely well.

The low end of the RPM range is more powerful. Taking off i have a lot more torque.

The bike runs much smoother. I feel slightly less vibration and the sound is much better/smoother. Throttle response seems much better as well.

If you plan on doing this mod i would suggest buying a new lower box so you can switch back. But in my opinion the FZ8 runs much better with the airbox as it was designed. maybe thats why you don't see race bikes with modified air cleaners? because modern sport bikes have been fine tuned from the factory and changing that tune requires more than just cutting holes and adding some fuel with a pcv.

Jacek3743

Well i finally got the new airbox to replace my modded one in yesterday. I took a ride out to Bear Mountain today and rode for hours. I am still running the Jumbo 2013 map, Yoshi R77, K&N Filter.

This is my opinion and i haven't done any science. But i know my bike extremely well.

The low end of the RPM range is more powerful. Taking off i have a lot more torque.

The bike runs much smoother. I feel slightly less vibration and the sound is much better/smoother. Throttle response seems much better as well.

If you plan on doing this mod i would suggest buying a new lower box so you can switch back. But in my opinion the FZ8 runs much better with the airbox as it was designed. maybe thats why you don't see race bikes with modified air cleaners? because modern sport bikes have been fine tuned from the factory and changing that tune requires more than just cutting holes and adding some fuel with a pcv.

you should try selling yours that you took out so that someone can buy it and try this mod out for cheaper than having to buy a whole stock unit if he doesnt like it

i might replace mine too

master paper clip

Race bikes dont use modded air boxes because they have 1000's of dollars spent designing a brand new one for race applications cause they don't have To worry about emissions

lothodon

Super Moderator
interesting find today. i just traded in my fz8 and before hand restored it to stock. i of course couldn't unmod my air box, but i did reinstall the ais hoses and valve. not sure if they are related but with the bike ran FAR BETTER with the stock exhaust and the airbox mod than it ever did with the aftermarket (akra) and the air box mod.

i love to mod so i don't regret it, but i'd never do the airbox mod or the smog plates again.

dtbrown

What people don't seem to realize about the stock air box opening is that it's not just an average cut out that yamaha guessed at, but that it's a velocity stack design. It's rounded or curved at both ends which allows a lot more air to travel in such a small opening. And the lower end torque you felt was probably due to the added back pressure that was created by putting the stock air box on.

Really doesn't surprise me what you noticed. Now what I want to try is to expand the opening of the sock opening while keeping the shape and the rounded ends. Somehow heat up the plastic and while it's hot put a bottle inside to expand the opening. That would create a larger opening while keeping the velocity stack.

Jacek3743

What people don't seem to realize about the stock air box opening is that it's not just an average cut out that yamaha guessed at, but that it's a velocity stack design. It's rounded or curved at both ends which allows a lot more air to travel in such a small opening. And the lower end torque you felt was probably due to the added back pressure that was created by putting the stock air box on.

Really doesn't surprise me what you noticed. Now what I want to try is to expand the opening of the sock opening while keeping the shape and the rounded ends. Somehow heat up the plastic and while it's hot put a bottle inside to expand the opening. That would create a larger opening while keeping the velocity stack.

That would be interesting to see and here about

Tango59

My last bike (08 Bandit 1250) had serious lean running issues cured by mapping, airbox mod and a Yosh can. I'm really happy with the way the FZ8 runs as is... It'll get an aftermarket can just for looks and sound.

Hellgate

You are correct. "Modding" modern air boxes is usually a waste of time and money.

The problem is you loose charge trapping with an open air box.

K&N, BMC, PiperCross, etc. only contribute to the problem. Most, better bikes use a HEPA type filter that not only captures dirt well, but flows well too.

9 Lives

You are correct. "Modding" modern air boxes is usually a waste of time and money.

The problem is you loose charge trapping with an open air box.

K&N, BMC, PiperCross, etc. only contribute to the problem. Most, better bikes use a HEPA type filter that not only captures dirt well, but flows well too.

Amen, but most have to learn the hard way.

Bajaedition

As long as there are rumors of cheap ways to gain power there will be guys doing it.
And trying to encourage others to do it also.
Personally I find the powerband on the 8 very nice and handy, being basically a stroker it is low and flat across the board. Yamaha did a great job delivering a lot of HP and a ton of torque in a place we can use it. I see no reason to go cutting and hacking for a few more bits of power when I will rarely use them anyway.

RoadKill

I forgot to mention that the main reason i did the mod was i needed a place to put the ballast for my bkmoto light and in the installation instructions it mentioned how easy it was if you had the airbox mod. when i decided to put an unmodified box back in i ended up placing the ballast behind the firewall. it was a very tight squeeze.

dtbrown

I forgot to mention that the main reason i did the mod was i needed a place to put the ballast for my bkmoto light and in the installation instructions it mentioned how easy it was if you had the airbox mod. when i decided to put an unmodified box back in i ended up placing the ballast behind the firewall. it was a very tight squeeze.

I put my ballast right behind my headlight. But only doable if you have the slim ballast. It fits perfect zip tied.

jumb5150

The Jumbo map is also custom mapped with air box, blocked AIS, K&N and a yosh. So I guess it fits well with my bike. After all, it is what its made for. But the OP does bring up an interesting point. Im not doubting him at all. Just wish I had the luxury of unlimited dyno runs to test this theory.

RoadKill

money is too tight right now for me to do dyno runs esp after over $2000 in repairs. at least i have the 2013 forks on my bike now :D