Air box mod question

master paper clip

Im thinking about doing the mod but at the moment I have a slip on exhaust with out a power commander, would I be ok doing the mod without harming the bike, what would be the side affects of doing this mod with the slip on without a pcv

Marthy

Im thinking about doing the mod but at the moment I have a slip on exhaust with out a power commander, would I be ok doing the mod without harming the bike, what would be the side affects of doing this mod with the slip on without a pcv

That might be a long shot. Check if you can adjust the CO on your ride. Few guys did that on the FZ6 forum. There's a wire that you need to ground to the frame and then you have some fuel adjustment from the dash. Might worth a little investigation. I put a link on the secondary flies thread... check it out!

Mrpacis

Did the airbox mod but with stock exhaust. Ordered the stock airbox. Wouldn't mess with anything unless you have Pcv. Notice a slight loss of low end torque. Has a nice sound. But Id pick low end torque over a nice sound/high end torque

master paper clip

I can deal with the low end loss for a little just have to play around in higher rpm when having fun on the bike, second question. I love the decel pops this thing throws out, I heard that the air box mod basically removes the decel pop... Is that true

Mrpacis

I can deal with the low end loss for a little just have to play around in higher rpm when having fun on the bike, second question. I love the decel pops this thing throws out, I heard that the air box mod basically removes the decel pop... Is that true

That's not entirely true. I thought me doing the mod took the decel pops off but I was mistaken. I just didn't notice that the sound that it makes the growl is awesome. So I kinda forgot about the decel pop. It's not as noticeable before. But I heard put a slip and it creates more noticeable pop

master paper clip

Thanks for the help everyone, broke down the bike and did the mod, holy crap what a difference that made. Didnt really notice any loss in power down low

D

DJK1505

The pop is fun, but once you get your PCV and start pushing/ playing with your hp, you will want that pop to decrease to;as close to no-popping at all!!!!! Until I installed this last tune, in some corners or roads I would be coming off it around 11K or so, and get back on it hard, right around 8K, and in the split second I would start to turn the throttle to get back into it, it would pop a nasty low tone pop. Made me worry about bending a valve or something! But it is still fun to hear that popping coming down!!!!!

SpunkyTheTuna

Airbox mod won't do anything for the decel pops. Those are caused by the air injection system. You cure that by disabling it. There are a couple of threads about that. You disconnect the solenoid and plug the tube that goes to the air box, or you install the air injection replacement plates and essentially do the same thing.

kjonas75

I did the airbox mod today. I did it by drilling lots of very large holes so that I can reverse it if required. I had to use a much richer map for the pcv. In third gear at 8000rpm the front started lifting so it feels stronger than before. Low end seems to be fine and the bike pulls strong from 3000rpm. In sixth gear to pass cars I simply give it throttle and the power is instant. I am also running k&n filter and graves slip on as well as pcv. I used a leaner map before and it was horrible weak; I adwise only doing this mod if you have a pcv and a richer map.

master paper clip

I did the airbox mod today. I did it by drilling lots of very large holes so that I can reverse it if required. I had to use a much richer map for the pcv. In third gear at 8000rpm the front started lifting so it feels stronger than before. Low end seems to be fine and the bike pulls strong from 3000rpm. In sixth gear to pass cars I simply give it throttle and the power is instant. I am also running k&n filter and graves slip on as well as pcv. I used a leaner map before and it was horrible weak; I adwise only doing this mod if you have a pcv and a richer map.

Idk my bike is still strong, it a little blah below 3k but after that its fine, with all my free mods i can beat my buddys zx6r to 100 then i can keep up with him till about 130 then he is gone. Love my dealer for putting me on this bike instead of the cbr600

master paper clip

The pop is fun, but once you get your PCV and start pushing/ playing with your hp, you will want that pop to decrease to;as close to no-popping at all!!!!! Until I installed this last tune, in some corners or roads I would be coming off it around 11K or so, and get back on it hard, right around 8K, and in the split second I would start to turn the throttle to get back into it, it would pop a nasty low tone pop. Made me worry about bending a valve or something! But it is still fun to hear that popping coming down!!!!!

The decel pop cant hurt anything cause it takes place in the exhaust not the engine, the decel pop was there from factory just couldent hear it threw the factory exhaust, much like u couldent hear anything threw that paper weight, but pcv will come during this winter along with some other goodies for my baby

D

DJK1505

A hard enough explosion in your exhaust creates massive back pressure. Its possible to bend a valve due to the back pressure, created in your exhaust, keeping a valve closed. Every action has a reaction, just bc it happens in your exhaust dosnt mean its not pushing hard on other components.

I could b wrong, but i have seen some pretty blow/ destroyed engines with no other explanation for the broken parts i have found in them. Like i said, its fun for a bit, but i would recomend getting a good tune before you really start pushing that engine hard.

Dj

master paper clip

A hard enough explosion in your exhaust creates massive back pressure. Its possible to bend a valve due to the back pressure, created in your exhaust, keeping a valve closed. Every action has a reaction, just bc it happens in your exhaust dosnt mean its not pushing hard on other components.

I could b wrong, but i have seen some pretty blow/ destroyed engines with no other explanation for the broken parts i have found in them. Like i said, its fun for a bit, but i would recomend getting a good tune before you really start pushing that engine hard.

Dj

Yea i get what your saying but like i said the bike has the pop and snaps from the fastory, just the factory muffler was really good at killing sound, dont think something that was in place from factory would harm the engine, but regardless i do plan on getting the pcv and eventually killing the ais, but thats all winter projects

D

DJK1505

Yeah, the stock set up was very tuned down, and plenty of sound deadening. This winter should be fun for you then. You will like you PCV, read a lot about it, get a few different maps, save up for auto tune, def take the time to hook it up to your speed sensor and calibrate gears.

DJ