Advanced Riding Courses

Brocky

Has anyone done an advanced riding course?

I'm looking at doing the "Advanced Riding Course" at HART in the next couple of months for $290 for the full day.

StayUpright does them at Eastern Creek but are $445 for the day - big difference in $

Or are there others that people recommend?

Cheers
Anthony

S

Shock

I'm looking at doing the "Advanced Riding Course" at HART in the next couple of months for $290 for the full day.

StayUpright does them at Eastern Creek but are $445 for the day - big difference in $

Cheers
Anthony

Damn! The only charge $80 for the day here in Texas. I am assuming you mean the advanced safety course and not a racing program.

Brocky

Damn! The only charge $80 for the day here in Texas. I am assuming you mean the advanced safety course and not a racing program.

Yeah safety not racing, below are the details

INTRODUCTION
It is also designed for the rider who is planning on doing some touring or just wants to safely push their skills to the next level.
Like the Handling Dynamics course the Advanced course concentrates on braking, cornering and hazard avoidance but at a higher level.
We provide plenty of one on one feedback and close analysis of the rider's style and technique via the lead and follow method.
Courses are generally run on weekends and are conducted on our dual lane 80km/h closed road circuit with a maximum of six attendees per instructor.

INCLUSIONS
Slow Speed Control
Braking
Braking in a Corner
Use of the throttle to assist in steering
Cornering lines

C

Camo

It depends on what you're aiming to get out of it I think.
Everyone I've spoken to recommends CSS or Bernie Hatton's courses.
All done on track and all require you to have full leathers

Brocky

It depends on what you're aiming to get out of it I think.
Everyone I've spoken to recommends CSS or Bernie Hatton's courses.
All done on track and all require you to have full leathers

Yeah but a track day is beyond me yet, plus don't have full leathers. Just want to be a better safer rider on the road.

C

Camo

A track day is t beyond anyone mate, common misconception I think.
It's really just an awesome road minus traffic and common safety hazards where you get to take your bike and go at your own pace.
It's not a race and you'll meet plenty of people who are just happy to share in the experience, nobody will push you or belittle you for riding at your own pace. There's a coach on hand who'll lead around the first lap and show you steering techniques and answer any questions you may have.
It truly is for all skill levels and you'll come away having learnt a ton

Brocky

A track day is t beyond anyone mate, common misconception I think.
It's really just an awesome road minus traffic and common safety hazards where you get to take your bike and go at your own pace.
It's not a race and you'll meet plenty of people who are just happy to share in the experience, nobody will push you or belittle you for riding at your own pace. There's a coach on hand who'll lead around the first lap and show you steering techniques and answer any questions you may have.
It truly is for all skill levels and you'll come away having learnt a ton

yeah i agree will have to try one, just want to get a bit more confidence on the road.

D

Deleted member 438

I'm with Camo on this one. I think you'll learn most that advance rider course with the track experience. You'll learn throttle control, brake skills, body position, how to avoid target fixation, looking through corners, etc... this is all very useful on the street.

C

Camo

yeah i agree will have to try one, just want to get a bit more confidence on the road.

I hear ya mate. More seat time before you do anything i guess?
Head up the OPH and I'll cruise around with ya!
I only did my first track day in November, I'm still scratching my head as to why it took me all these years to get a set of leathers and take the plunge.... I could have just hired leathers while I saved a bit of coin:confused:

I'm going again on the 12th, have another + CSS pre paid but yet to book

CSS level one reads like this-
Level One addresses the six most common errors riders, from novice to world-class racers, make and why. You will realise exactly how they have stopped or slowed your own improvement as a rider. There will be a technical briefing for each one including on and off-track drills that put you in control of them. Your assigned coach for the day will observe and correct any difficulties you are having with each drill. You will be coached as an individual, according to your skill level. You will improve.
Students often comment that Level One answers questions they didn't even know they had. Confidence and control are shattered when riders experience vague fears about turn entry speed, finding good lines, bike stability and their own rider-induced errors. These fears and uncertainties are addressed and replaced with confident and precise bike control. Within the boundaries of good sense and safety, the speed you ride is up to you.

Not a better place to start mate, hart is just an extension of what you're taught at the L's and P's. The CSS experience will be tailored to your needs and you'll come away a better rider without doubt, it's not a track day persay... And you could just hire the leathers to get started?
It is a touch expensive but I've never heard of anyone coming away saying "what a waste".
Though I think any chance you take to improve your skills is a worthwhile venture, upgrades that stay with you forever.

Edit: CSS link

Last edited:

GarryM

One of my mates did the CSS while he was on his P's. After doing the course he was out-riding guys that have been riding for 20 years.

Brocky

I hear ya mate. More seat time before you do anything i guess?
Head up the OPH and I'll cruise around with ya!
I only did my first track day in November, I'm still scratching my head as to why it took me all these years to get a set of leathers and take the plunge.... I could have just hired leathers while I saved a bit of coin:confused:

I'm going again on the 12th, have another + CSS pre paid but yet to book

CSS level one reads like this-
Level One addresses the six most common errors riders, from novice to world-class racers, make and why. You will realise exactly how they have stopped or slowed your own improvement as a rider. There will be a technical briefing for each one including on and off-track drills that put you in control of them. Your assigned coach for the day will observe and correct any difficulties you are having with each drill. You will be coached as an individual, according to your skill level. You will improve.
Students often comment that Level One answers questions they didn't even know they had. Confidence and control are shattered when riders experience vague fears about turn entry speed, finding good lines, bike stability and their own rider-induced errors. These fears and uncertainties are addressed and replaced with confident and precise bike control. Within the boundaries of good sense and safety, the speed you ride is up to you.

Not a better place to start mate, hart is just an extension of what you're taught at the L's and P's. The CSS experience will be tailored to your needs and you'll come away a better rider without doubt, it's not a track day persay... And you could just hire the leathers to get started?
It is a touch expensive but I've never heard of anyone coming away saying "what a waste".
Though I think any chance you take to improve your skills is a worthwhile venture, upgrades that stay with you forever.

Edit: CSS link

Just had a look and looks very impressive, just never heard of them before. But yeah $529+$75 for leathers is a bit out my reach at the moment, think I'll stick to a going on a few rides first on the Old Road/Bells Line

Appreciate all the comment guys!

W

WARPTH

Another way to look at it is. $529 divided by the amount of years riding you think you have left in you. Even at five years of riding its 100 bucks a year. Not bad for a life long experience.
Or as the sales people would put it. Whats your life worth to you compared to the experience you will gain...

Brocky

Another way to look at it is. $529 divided by the amount of years riding you think you have left in you. Even at five years of riding its 100 bucks a year. Not bad for a life long experience.
Or as the sales people would put it. Whats your life worth to you compared to the experience you will gain...

True, but I need to move out of unit into a house to fit all my toys! Then once you start the first course you would wanna do all 4 at $529

B

bren

Just had a look and looks very impressive, just never heard of them before. But yeah $529+$75 for leathers is a bit out my reach at the moment, think I'll stick to a going on a few rides first on the Old Road/Bells Line

Appreciate all the comment guys!

Bells line of road seems like it would be an ok ride. Up into lithgow then u choose if you head out to Bathurst or chuck a left and head back to katoomba and home...

Brocky

Bells line of road seems like it would be an ok ride. Up into lithgow then u choose if you head out to Bathurst or chuck a left and head back to katoomba and home...

Nah turn around at Lithgow and do it all again! I've driven it heaps but only riden it once on my XJ600 which didnt have the torque to keep up to my mates on ZX7 with all the hills! Now I have the torque im keen to do it! But was better before they dropped a lot of the 100km zones to 80kms.

C

Camo

True, but I need to move out of unit into a house to fit all my toys! Then once you start the first course you would wanna do all 4 at $529

First 3. 4th is more focused on getting everything fine tuned for the track, one on one coaching.

ssky0078

Cheers
Anthony

Holy crap the Advanced Rider Course is $150 in Arizona. The Total Control I&II Keith Code inspired classes are $250 & $300. That's insane how mucy you have to pay

W

WARPTH

Holy crap the Advanced Rider Course is $150 in Arizona. The Total Control I&II Keith Code inspired classes are $250 & $300. That's insane how mucy you have to pay

Were taken advantage of down here in aus when it comes to anything bike related. From gear to insurance and registration. Even the initial purchase price is ridiculous compared to other markets. But especially gear.

C

Camo

Were taken advantage of down here in aus when it comes to anything bike related. From gear to insurance and registration. Even the initial purchase price is ridiculous compared to other markets. But especially gear.

We also get to do the CSS courses at Phillip Island or Eastern Creek, 2 very kick ass tracks and worth every cent IMO.
As for overpriced gear, you probably wouldn't mind paying a little more providing the level of service and range was there....but it isn't.
And let's not get started on the 90-110% markup Yamaha Australia like to swindle us with

mckshred

Ya, training can be expensive, and I've seen even more expensive 'courses'. The Cali Superbike School and the Yamaha Schools are in the 2-3k's. I took both courses that you mention and have posted my opinions below for what it's worth.

It had been 25 years since I owned my last bike, and to make sure I was ready and really wanted to ride again (and to put my spouse's mind at ease), I went for the basic 2 day MSF ($149) class.
http://www.motorcycletraining.com/
It was a good re-introduction but pretty basic and all at slow speeds. You have 2-4 instructors and up to 12 riders on each of two courses. It's 40% classroom and 60% 'range riding'. I didn't have too many options because I did not have my motorcycle endorsement nor a motorbike. The class provided both. Two weeks later I had my own FZ8!

About 10 months later and 6k miles, I took the Total Control I ($295) class.
Total Control Southwest
It was one full day and at the same range. 50/50 classroom vs. range time. All slow speed but much more in depth and worth it. Covered topics such as mental & physical preparation, suspension concepts & adjustment/tuning, body position, vision drills, cornering, transitioning, throttle control, slow speed u-turns in tight spaces, etc....
Throughout the course we would discuss each pass immediately with the instructor. We analyzed and what we did correctly vs. incorrectly. This allowed me analyze my own technique long after the class was over.

Once the suspension is updated (next week hopefully), I am heading to the track with Aztrackday guys.
Aztrackday
I'll get 1/2 day 1-1 with a pro racer and a full day @ the track for $499. Yes it's kinda steep but I really think the experience will be worth it. Most of all it will be safer where I can ride at higher speeds without worrying about idiot automobile drivers..

One thing good about being older as I fall back in love with riding ............disposable income! :)

Last edited: