Adjusting shift lever

jumb5150

Hey guys just got the bike today. Absolutely love it. One thing im wondering is how do you adjust the shift lever? I am using Icon Tarmac boots and it is a bit of a bother to get my boot underneath to shift up. Any tips will help. Thanx

FZER

Avid Rider
Hey guys just got the bike today. Absolutely love it. One thing im wondering is how do you adjust the shift lever? I am using Icon Tarmac boots and it is a bit of a bother to get my boot underneath to shift up. Any tips will help. Thanx

It's not a lot of fun, but you'll see off of the top of the shifter a stainless steal bar that runs up to the tranny. That bar has two 10mm nuts on it as well as two 12mm connections. Loosen both 10mm nuts on both sides by having a wrench on both the 10mm nut as well as the 12mm connector. Repeat for the other side. Then you'll be able to turn that bar back and forth to your liking changing the shifter height up and down. Be careful that you don't go too far one way or the other because you'll risk the bar falling out. Tighten the 10mm nut on both sides again and you'll be good to go. I put a little blue lock tight on mine. The clearances for the two wrenches you'll need to do the task is very tight which makes it a little tough to do. If all else fails go to your dealership. I positive those guys would help you out.

BeachinFZ8

FZER is correct - you can't adjust the shifter very far upward for boot clearance before the shift linkage falls out, and you don't want it hanging on by just a few threads.

I have a pair of Icon Chukka boots and they are rock solid serious protection for your feet and ankles. But I have the same problem with getting my toe under the shifter. I have just learned to work with it when I wear them. When I adjusted the shifter up high for them my foot wanted to rest on the shifter when cruising making the possibility of an unexpected downshift too unsettling.

Sadly, I don't wear my Icons much because of this. I got a pair of A-Stars that are much lighter and thinner - not much protection, but no trouble getting my foot under the shifter and I also get a much better feel for the shifter.

FZER

Avid Rider
I have the same Icon boots. LOL... And U.S. 13's I got mine up as far as I thought safe. Lock tight is a must I think.

minja714

SOLUTION:

Say hello to the lightech rear sets, it will take care of all your problems.
All your dreams and wishes will come true, the ozone layer will be restored before the industrial revolution even happened, end world hunger, and bring a cure to aids.

but it not peace on earth.

thats never gonna happen.

but the good news is that im setting up a group buy for it soon.

Last edited:
C

Camo

SOLUTION:

Say hello to the lightech rear sets, it will take care of all your problems.
All your dreams and wishes will come true, the ozone layer will be restored before the industrial revolution even happened, end world hunger, and bring a cure to aids.

but it not peace on earth.

thats never gonna happen.

but the good news is that im setting up a group buy for it soon.
Only problem with your solution is that it costs money, quiet a bit for minimal gain really..New pair of boots would be cheaper.;)